Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Not weird... The pressure gradient was much more representative of a tropical system at that latitude. 

MTP is almost 90 miles east of FRG and never really got into the action, that plus pressure gradient and proximity to the center. Still so strange to me how windy it was where I am but with less than 0.25” rain. I’m about 5 miles north of FRG and my neighborhood was completely trashed. I could only imagine what would’ve been if it struck NC at 110-115mph instead of 85. 

21 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

No. Latitude. It became extra tropical and phased right around NYC metro, hence also began tracking due north...That’s also why the wind impact broadened for our sub forum despite it tracking much further west.

MTP is like the same latitude as FRG

700K plus were out yikes

We have 100s of crews working across CT to restore power after Tropical Storm Isaias caused widespread, historic damage to the electric system.  As of 10 a.m., crews have restored power to more than 100,000 customers since the storm began and ~617,000 remain without power. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was disappointed in Bob where I was in Brockton. I know why, but I thought Gloria was worse. Obviously different past Plymouth and the Cape

Yeah, that NE curve as it passed BID saved I95. Will said 100+ miles but even 50 miles would have rocked around 10 million more people in the Boston and PVD metros

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even a hurricane Bob like 100-150 miles west would be ridiculous. 

Always wonder what kind of damage Hazel did in NY, NJ and CT.  There was a 100mph + gust at battery park.  I can't find any descriptions of the damage without digging up archived local newspapers from the time.

18 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

All about the track.  Bob west east and Gloria was west

Yep. I was stunned at the damage on the Cape when we went back there like two weeks later. Not to mention the trees left were all bare from the salt water spray. Really strange to see.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yep. I was stunned at the damage on the Cape when we went back there like two weeks later. Not to mention the trees left were all bare from the salt water spray. Really strange to see.

Gloria was that way here,all south facing leaves burnt from salt. You literally could be on one side of a tree and see brown, other side green.  East sides of tropical systems here are always dry. I was western eyewall of Bob and had 6+ inches

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Gloria was that way here,all south facing leaves burnt from salt. You literally could be on one side of a tree and see brown, other side green.  East sides of tropical systems here are always dry. I was western eyewall of Bob and had 6+ inches

Yeah I'm not even sure we had a shower from Gloria. Just a big wind bag. 

Blue Hill

We have several different wind systems here at Blue Hill. Here is how they compared with the peak gust today.

F420C (Official) - 58 kts (67 mph)
Aerovane - 62 kts (71 mph)
ASOS - 51 kts (59 mph)
Davis - 57 kts (66 mph)
Merlin - 58 kts (67 mph)
RM Young - 61 kts (70 mph)