Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

My neighbor is a lineman for Eversource. Going to be days and days before power comes back on for many. Southwest CT is a mess. About half of Eversource customers in CT still have no power. 

Screenshot_20200805-105824_Chrome.jpg

It's going to take longer than usual because of COVID preventative measures...social distancing, 6ft apart, sanitizing, masks, etc.

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This is one of those times I wish I went to school for a met degree. When I got into UConn I considered it but would have needed to do some kind of independent study degree or something like that. I would have gotten killed on the math aspect without help lol. I also felt that my best use of ability would be in policy and public service.

There’s so much knowledge that can be learned out here if you follow the right people. I just try to soak it up as best I can, and never feel like I’ve got a lock on knowledge. The most frustrating thing about this board is the declarative statements one way or another on tropical. It’s one of the hardest fields in all of meteorology still. You can’t get comfortable with a medium to long range model consensus. You have to work the problem all the way through. 

I once drove all the way to the Mississippi coast to chase. Even the day of I was adjusting and watching short range trends. I missed the storm by 20 miles. When I chased Florence I ended up in a perfect location, even as the hotel became surrounded by water. Ten miles over and I would have lost my car to river flooding. Tropical tracking ain’t for the faint of heart. 

I literally have zero clue how I got through the math...I mean I did the majority of the math at community college so maybe I got off easier (though I did have to re-take Calc III b/c I got a D and couldn't transfer it). I thought Physics was a million times harder...that I have absolute zero clue how I passed considering I failed every single test (I think lab grades and extra credit helped). Like I completely could not grasp the concept of physics...drawing those diagrams didn't help me one bit lol. I did wish I understood the math/theoretical aspect of things much better. 

But yeah...following the right people here...you'll learn more about forecasting than you will in school and it's not even close. I agree...it's frustrating during any event when people start declaring bust...not only the board but social media. Then discussion just starts going downhill

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's going to take longer than usual because of COVID preventative measures...social distancing, 6ft apart, sanitizing, masks, etc.

? They have been putting power poles up in my neighbor hood all summer banging them out. Didn't see a mask on anyone. I mean being in a bucket truck is a one man job. No one  I saw today outside chainsawing, town, tree companies, was worried about covid it seemed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, when people say they want another 1938 they have no f’n clue what they are talking about.

I understand, as a weenie, experiencing the power of mother nature...I do...but as a homeowner with a family, I really don’t want the aftermath hassle. Even if I had my standby genny installed already, it’s still not that fun having tress collapse all around me and spending days chainsawing. 

Whatever happened to CT light and power? Are they still around?

I remember they were eviscerated after the Oct 2011 storm after some criticism during Irene 7-8 weeks earlier. There was a map along the MA/CT border that showed the CT border towns with like 80-100% outages and the MA border towns with very few. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I understand, as a weenie, experiencing the power of mother nature...I do...but as a homeowner with a family, I really don’t want the aftermath hassle. Even if I had my standby genny installed already, it’s still not that fun having tress collapse all around me and spending days chainsawing. 

I agree but the stories we have for the Grandkids. They will think you are Paul Bunyan 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember they were eviscerated after the Oct 2011 storm after some criticism during Irene 7-8 weeks earlier. There was a map along the MA/CT border that showed the CT border towns with like 80-100% outages and the MA border towns with very few. 

cLP became Eversource 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I think Eversource bought them out? They were that awful with restoring service after Oct 11. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I think Eversource bought them out? They were that awful with restoring service after Oct 11. 

Yeah I remember the pitchforks being out for CL&P after Oct 2011. Towns literally next door that were serviced by other companies were restored while the CL&P customers went for days and days longer without power. In some cases weeks. 

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My GPA would have suffered greatly as a met major to say the least, especially since I spent more time chasing shots and women than studying in my freshman year. :lol: 

I took Met classes at URI but went into Environmental Science. Interned with the state Climatologist though. I partied hard too but went back as an older student and nailed the math stuff. Just a matter of effort I guess.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sorry heard a tree snap and jerked around to make sure it wasn't falling my way.  Neighbors took it on the chin here. I will try harder next time.

Screenshot_20200805-104810_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-104829_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-104848_Gallery.jpg

More than understandable.  You guys have it bad for tree damage these past few months.  I hope everyone came out physically unscathed and "just" property damage!

Did your fence come out of it unscathed this time?

43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

FRG gusted to 78mph and MTP only 33mph. Sometimes weird mesoscale things happen.

Yesterday most of the gusts were the usual kind where there is a lull and then you can hear the roar in the forest as the winds pick up and gust through.  Yesterday before the feedband rain and wind started we had a gust of 40mph that came out of no where.  Almost seemed to desend on the house and you could hear the creaks as it hit the house.  It was a 40mph gust.   Up until that time the winds were just pretty breezy,  15-20mph.  Maybe it was mixing from above?  I have no idea

1 hour ago, klw said:

More than understandable.  You guys have it bad for tree damage these past few months.  I hope everyone came out physically unscathed and "just" property damage!

Did your fence come out of it unscathed this time?

Yes thank you. One section was pushed out but NBD. I haven't put up the last damaged section yet as I can not get 4 by 4 by 8 PT

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Misquamicut? Lots of seaweed in the water or clean.  I may be on the road soon lol 

East Beach, water is pretty clean but it's hard to get too far out. Waves were getting a bit more reasonable as I was leaving 15 min ago.