• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

What a shitty storm. Still no power. Sent the wife and kids to grandma’s in WeHa last night. Spent 4 hours cleaning yesterday. Several trees down on the property so I’ll have to spend money to get them removed. Tossing food into coolers but some will get thrown out. Have to find a public spot to work remotely today during covid. 2020 can’t get any worse. FTS. 

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Good job communicating the potential

There may not be anyone else on TV who does as excellent of a job as Ryan does. Not only does he communicate potential extremely well but he has the gift of being able to toss in science/meteorology and explain it so easily. Not too mention how he handles live events...especially severe weather...being able to show and explain dual-pol radar on air. 

• Like 4

Still puzzled how anyone enjoys this but ok.

Forecasts were spot on. With so many communities in the region placed into and surrounded by forrests, It doesn’t take much to cause damage though. If we ever have a slow moving cat1/2 cane, it would practically delete our livelyhoods. Have fun with that. 

More cleanup today. Riveting stuff. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Well that was wild. Bigger winds here than with Irene or Sandy. Tons of damage throughout town.

Peak gust yesterday was 43 kts.  There was only about 60min of strongest winds and they were no where near that high.  Virtually no rain,

Irene peak gust for me was 50kts and the storm lasted far longer with higher sustained winds, which brought more damage.

Sandy only had a peak of 41kts but lasted longer as well.  I don't recall that much damage with this one

Both brought far more rain here which would contribute to trees coming down easier.

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Forecasts were spot on. With so many communities in the region placed into and surrounded by forrests, It doesn’t take much to cause damage though. If we ever have a slow moving cat1/2 cane, it would practically delete our livelyhoods. Have fun with that. 

We knew west was best.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Peak gust yesterday was 43 kts.  There was only about 60min of strongest winds and they were no where near that high.  Virtually no rain,

Irene peak gust for me was 50kts and the storm lasted far longer with higher sustained winds, which brought more damage.

Sandy only had a peak of 41kts but lasted longer as well.  I don't recall that much damage with this one

Both brought far more rain here which would contribute to trees coming down easier.

Was more convective in nature, I think. GHG was 55kts. Logan 46kts. But ironically I think weaker winds were near the Cape, opposite Irene.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What a shitty storm. Still no power. Sent the wife and kids to grandma’s in WeHa last night. Spent 4 hours cleaning yesterday. Several trees down on the property so I’ll have to spend money to get them removed. Tossing food into coolers but some will get thrown out. Have to find a public spot to work remotely today during covid. 2020 can’t get any worse. FTS. 

sorry man. With the way the weather has been probably a good time to invest in a Genny, its worth its weight in gold for a homeowner 

• Like 1

We had several convective cells move overhead early on.  Radar was showing very high velocities at range but as storms got closer and the sampling height dropped, the velocities were also dropping substantially.  It seemed like it was going to be a bust until the sun came out and the rain mostly stopped.  I don't know if it were coincidence or if that extra amount of mixing might have been the catalyst, because after that things got pretty heavy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, radarman said:

We had several convective cells move overhead early on.  Radar was showing very high velocities at range but as storms got closer and the sampling height dropped, the velocities were also dropping substantially.  It seemed like it was going to be a bust until the sun came out and the rain mostly stopped.  I don't know if it were coincidence or if that extra amount of mixing might have been the catalyst, because after that things got pretty heavy.

When we were under the tornado warning our peak gusts came from that convection. 50-55 knots easy here. Reminded me a lot of the epic southeaster a few years back just before Halloween. 

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

When we were under the tornado warning our peak gusts came from that convection. 50-55 knots easy here. Reminded me a lot of the epic southeaster a few years back just before Halloween. 

I wonder if anything touched down. Given how weak any tornado would have been though it would probably be impossible to differentiate between tornado damage and damage from convective winds...which can be a challenge during tropical systems. But we lucked out big time with the tornado potential yesterday. 200+ J of 3km CAPE with those shear values could have ended up pretty ugly. Just weren't able to generate a decent enough updraft to utilize it.

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Think we had the stinger jet in the dry slot or a gravity wave. Nice pressure rise fall couplet here. Biggest winds and damage at this time. The scream of the wind and seeing 100 ft trees bent in half was crazy.  I wish I had a tree top anemometer some times lol

20200805_081148.jpg

That is a very small pressure change though. You would see something more notable in a true G wave.

52 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Irene was pretty strong in SE MA and the Cape. This one def focused the best wind further west. It seemed to be a lot spottier further east driven by convective pockets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yeah, when people say they want another 1938 they have no f’n clue what they are talking about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Irene was pretty strong in SE MA and the Cape. This one def focused the best wind further west. It seemed to be a lot spottier further east driven by convective pockets. 

If this was a Gloria, we would have seen far worse damage over a larger area.  The fact that this was hauling along and was so far west mitigated a lot of that potential.

Never lost power but for those with TMPL service...

As of 9:30 p.m., the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) reported no power outages in Taunton. However, in nearby Rehoboth, 70 percent of residents were without power, and in Norton, 24 percent of residents were without power. Both are powered primarily by National Grid.

Municipal Lighting FTMFW.