Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Early April event was taking off my roof. But this was good. At least locally. Was convective so some areas did well and others no. Last October was way worse. We moved our kids from their bedrooms. Sounds like PYM county did well.

Maybe if was April. I'm awful with memory

I agree the this event was underwhelming ORH east in interior Mass pretty much but 50 mph gusts is what guidance was showing for this area. But that is fine with me. With still 3.5M customers without power on the eastern seaboard some people are going to be without it for a while. Certainly would not call this event a bust for New England as whole.

People have to remember some were expecting this to degenerate into a naked swirl off Florida and it turned into a Cat 1 NC landfall and a bit of a mess for the northeast corridor.

Power lost for 2-3 minutes  The grid might be stronger out here (?) than it was when I lived in North Andover MA where the power would go for a day during every other summer thunderstorm.   Wind is still blowing, but it has never gotten as strong as April storms were.  Intermitent rain drops that have you wondering whether it was rain or bird spit.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Did I write summer?  What does the the date have anything to do with what the outcome is?  An hour of gusty winds is nothing extraordinary here.  

Oh didn’t realize you only had an hour of meh winds. Seems AEMATT didn’t get hit this time, models showed it though. Summer winds are a different animal for damage at 60 mph, plus they sound cool with leaves and all but still nothing beats the howls of a NW nighttime deep winter blow

• Like 3

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Mega impressed by this Danielson ASOS lies in a valley surrounded by trees. About 7 miles from me

Windham County...
1 NW Danielson               56 MPH    0404 PM 08/04   AWOS

Yeah that's solid for an open air field even in a low elevation.  Being in a forested neighborhood would probably slow it down but tree top gusts were probably 50-60mph fairly widespread in E.CT it seems.

Just checked again about our power company NH Electric Coop.  Of 88,000 customers 36% do not have power.  So it might be a long wait for me.

Just took a quick ride down my hill to Newfound Lake level.  Quite a difference in the amount of branches and debris up here verses 500 feet below.  Winds are calming down now.

Interestingly I had several gusts to 40mph but peak gust of only 42mph so far.

Oh didn’t realize you only had an hour of meh winds. Seems AEMATT didn’t get hit this time, models showed it though. Summer winds are a different animal for damage at 60 mph, plus they sound cool with leaves and all but still nothing beats the howls of a NW nighttime deep winter blow

Peak gusts were from 4-5 pm.  60mph would have been a whole different animal for sure but it takes a unique storm to get that here.  Jan 2005 blizzard was one of them. Peak gust was 50 here.  Most gusts were 30-40mph.  Rained for about 15min. 0.14”.

D4993F9A-786B-4DF6-AC75-8D900CE7D030.thumb.jpeg.f3bcd42793f7011969aa18a51676d2dc.jpeg

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's solid for an open air field even in a low elevation.  Being in a forested neighborhood would probably slow it down but tree top gusts were probably 50-60mph fairly widespread in E.CT it seems.

My experience is the most damage is on the sides of hills around 500 ft, of course that’s where I am. Lol but over the years the greatest damage around here corresponds with 400 to 600 feet especially when wind is from the se. Free ride off the ocean piles up against the sides of the hills like a wave hitting a sand castle. Just my observation. Seeing that pit hit 58 and PVD 60 tells me we probably hit 60 plus. Seemed like it judging by tree motion and bending. Glad we were dry

My experience is the most damage is on the sides of hills around 500 ft, of course that’s where I am. Lol but over the years the greatest damage around here corresponds with 400 to 600 feet especially when wind is from the se. Free ride off the ocean piles up against the sides of the hills like a wave hitting a sand castle. Just my observation. Seeing that pit hit 58 and PVD 60 tells me we probably hit 60 plus. Seemed like it judging by tree motion and bending. Glad we were dry

Sweet micro-scale observations man.  I love that stuff.  In the end the actual gusts doesn't matter, 54 or 62 or whatever.  Once over 50mph its all strong wind.  Glad you guys got a sweet wind storm out of it.  Do you have power?

My cousin on Long Island just showed me his estimate for restoring power by PSEG is 1:30pm on August 7th.

CONNECTICUT

...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...
   BRIDGEPORT              68   330 PM  8/04  NOS-NWLON               
   GREENWICH               67   230 PM  8/04  CWOP                    
   BRIDGEPORT AIRPORT      62   233 PM  8/04  ASOS                    
   BRIDGEPORT              55   215 PM  8/04  CWOP                    
   DANBURY AIRPORT         49   221 PM  8/04  ASOS                    

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...
   2 WSW CHESTER           52   435 PM  8/04  AWOS                    
   DURHAM                  40   237 PM  8/04  CWOP                    

...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...
   LIGHTHOUSE POINT        66   328 PM  8/04  WXFLOW                  
   BETHANY                 64   208 PM  8/04  CWOP                    
   WATERBURY AIRPORT       60   158 PM  8/04  AWOS                    
   NEW HAVEN AIRPORT       56   353 PM  8/04  ASOS                    
   MERIDEN AIRPORT         54   356 PM  8/04  ASOS                    
   EAST HAVEN              44   145 PM  8/04  CWOP                    
   NEW HAVEN               43   230 PM  8/04  CWOP                    

...NEW LONDON COUNTY...
   GROTON AIRPORT          58   537 PM  8/04  ASOS                    
   NEW LONDON; CT          52   530 PM  8/04  NOS-NWLON               
   NEW LONDON              40   413 PM  8/04  CWOP

Just passed 2.00” rain, about what models showed.  

It’s nothing excessive but it has been a much better soaker than I expected in terms of lacking runoff.  It’s been raining since 7am, just a steady drenching rain, heavier at times.  

The heavier echoes around here were moving so fast they never really seemed to sit over one spot for long, keeping the flood threat down in the mountains and allowing vegetation to soak it up.  

If you are going to see 1-4” of rain across the BTV CWA, generally this was the way to do it for a soaking that isn’t all runoff and flash flood. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kinda lame at how easy it is to lose power up here with 40mph+ winds. 0.23” rain. I’d rather have what upstate ny had. Inches of rain and heavy electricity. 

I'm in that camp. Storm played best I could asked for here- --2-3" of rain, occasional gust, but almost no damage and all trees are upright and lights still on.  Somewhat related, we had power crews from out of state limbing up trees over power lines for like 4-6 weeks this summer throughout whole town, helpfully that helps moving forward.

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like the Mount Washington peak wind in the past two hours has been 107kts/123mph!  That's impressive for summer up there.

KMWN 042248Z 12068G85KT 1/16SM SHRA FG VV001 13/13 RMK PK WND 120107/09

The current observation of 79G96 is pretty solid, lol.

KMWN 042348Z 13079G96KT

They are calling their obs in now (internet is down in the valley) but they said 128 knots peak gust. :o

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sweet micro-scale observations man.  I love that stuff.  In the end the actual gusts doesn't matter, 54 or 62 or whatever.  Once over 50mph its all strong wind.  Glad you guys got a sweet wind storm out of it.  Do you have power?

My cousin on Long Island just showed me his estimate for restoring power by PSEG is 1:30pm on August 7th.

No genny humming, looks like a long one, ugh