• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

Winds have been gusting near 30 mph the past hour or so, band of precipitation is still to my west.  Sun was out.  MLCAPE near 1000 j/kg.  Chances are we should get a few hurricane gusts out here in the next few hours.  Storms producing water spouts still south of the Vineyard.  A particular cell south of the Mid Cape is intriguing.  Anyone have the velocity on that cell?

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

not sure if there were any reports of OTG but I have heard that there is the possibility around Middletown. A friend of mine was there and was in a parking lot and said something strange happened...like a sucking and he looked and leaves and water going up in the air. He said something about some guy getting sucked in and he had to pull him...IDK but another friend said on the news they mentioned something about a possible TOR in the area. Didn't hear anything from the HFD one...although with these winds tough to tell damage from an EF-0 and winds which swirl in these situations. 

okay thanks.  Do you think I have a shot at something in the next few hours?

Just now, dendrite said:

What's the reduction factor on that? 50-55? The STEM hit 52mph on top of the school.

Yeah 50mph feels absolutely crazy in the middle of the summer.  As a whole like snow intensities, they are over-estimated. 

If anyone saw a legit 65-70+ gust in foliage dense hardwoods it would look like a tornado ripped through.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I still think most people under-estimate how strong 40mph is with full foliage.  That's pretty solid to get 40mph measured in an apple orchard.  Legit 40s in interior New England is more than enough to take some branches down.

Most people underestimate wind strength and over estimate wind speed. This is because the force of wind is exponential to the speed increase...it’s not a linear increase. 

As well-versed as I am in it over the years, I still find myself over estimating wind speed at times.