Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know ...I'm kinda coveting a private experiment through this synoptic cinema.

I'm still secretly unconvinced this thing doesn't elevate much of it's impact potential ... I joked and referred to it as a 'see-thru frisbie' a couple nights ago.  

But I'm holding back because the Euro solution from last night - however - hearkened somewhat to Ryan H'.s salient tweet about the jet structures potentially coupling with the vestigial mechanics. This most recent run seems to have additional isobars (along standard intervals) added as it is absorbing into the large cyclonic envelopment over the N OV...and it's difficult to see that as being tropical in nature for what is forcing that, once this thing is passing NYC's ~ latitude.  It seems it is getting an assist in "re" or depth maintenance as it accelerates N of the Del Marva here during the afternoon - going by the 00z run... I don't see another reason for that ... 

If it wasn't for that, this would probably decouple from the lower troposphere below a weakening threshold and pressure pattern normalizing below restoration's ability to overcome the BL resistance much more than 10 mi inland from the coast(s). 

So...what is fascinating here is that this may end up producing a synoptic wind pulse from that idiosyncrasy alone, but not "really" be a TC at that time.   Here's a forecast,  cloudy with a 90% chance of misconception of event burying what really took place beneath of din of oohs and ahs.

Pretty much a LLJ jet issue here as many have pointed out. The transitioning core will go up the Hudson Valley.  

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Given the winds aloft, I’d think EF2 is possible for sure. Low topped supercells can produce but as you know it’s harder. But the wind and shear is there to tighten up one of these guys.

Yeah my main concern is the amount of CAPE within the lowest 3km which is also where shear is maximized. Plus you're talking about LCL's ~500m which strong tornadoes become much more of a possibility when LCL's are below 750m. Violent tornado parameter is also at a 2 in CT

image.png.cc30a42e519e95136f0b559ba4e29af7.png

Yeah wiz, I don’t know about a strong type of tornado, but with these TCs you get a lot of EF1s and maybe even an EF2.

I think for us it depends on that arc of cells that is off the Delmarva. But I’m not sure how much oomph that has when it comes up here. The peak of the tornado stuff I think is now in the Delmarva.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah wiz, I don’t know about a strong type of tornado, but with these TCs you get a lot of EF1s and maybe even an EF2.

I think for us it depends on that arc of cells that is off the Delmarva. But I’m not sure how much oomph that has when it comes up here. The peak of the tornado stuff I think is now in the Delmarva.

I do think the threat is real in SW CT for sure. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I should have clarified but by strong I was getting at EF2 type stuff possible. But yeah, I agree...I also think perhaps that stuff may arrive a bit too early but looks like dews in southern CT are a bit higher and 3km CAPE is the same or slightly greater. Guess it's just a matter of does shear increase further before they arrive

NYC looks like a prime spot for tornado threat and high wind threat...Staten Island and Brooklyn are likely greatest risk being exposed to the southeast fetch off the open water...

That recent 90 mph gust in Virginia was also reported in the same sector that’s likely to effect NYC area if extrapolate current trajectory...

Need some advice from the Mets please.    The Euro has been consistent in bringing a core of very strong gusts through the NW Lakes Region of NH.  It actually intensifies the core as it moves north just east of the Conn Valley.  Im at a high elevation with a south exposure.   I rarely gust over 40 and my all time high in a winter cold front is 61mph.  That did a lot of damage.   Is this core of winds even remotely possible.  Euro says 80-90mph gusts.  I don't believe that but even 60 would be very strong

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know ...I'm kinda coveting a private experiment through this synoptic cinema.

I'm still secretly unconvinced this thing doesn't elevate much of it's impact potential ... I joked and referred to it as a 'see-thru frisbie' a couple nights ago.  

But I'm holding back because the Euro solution from last night - however - hearkened somewhat to Ryan H'.s salient tweet about the jet structures potentially coupling with the vestigial mechanics. This most recent run seems to have additional isobars (along standard intervals) added as it is absorbing into the large cyclonic envelopment over the N OV...and it's difficult to see that as being tropical in nature for what is forcing that, once this thing is passing NYC's ~ latitude.  It seems it is getting an assist in "re" or depth maintenance as it accelerates N of the Del Marva here during the afternoon - going by the 00z run... I don't see another reason for that ... 

If it wasn't for that, this would probably decouple from the lower troposphere below a weakening threshold and pressure pattern normalizing below restoration's ability to overcome the BL resistance much more than 10 mi inland from the coast(s).  And it'd be TS warning with 20mph breezes and heavily tilted Bahama towers..

So...what is fascinating here is that this may end up producing a synoptic wind pulse from that idiosyncrasy alone, but not "really" be a TC at that time.   Here's a forecast,  cloudy with a 90% chance of misconception of what is really being experienced, in lieu of this din of oohs and ahs ...where if you try to cut in and explain the truth, everyone blink twice, turns around and re-engages the oohs and ahs..

Dumbing down and translating this to English I think you are saying these crazy winds will probably not happen up here to any great extent

There are is a plethora of 'plausible' behaviors as this thing rotates up and absorbed into the eastern Lakes trough axis this evening.

A narrow region east of roughly VT/CT could average between light to moderate breezes for a couple .. three hours, with a few rotators triggering warnings whisking through, but the pressure pattern weakens as it is pulling away and when that happens ( Irene did that) the air suddenly deadens eerily calm, ..7 to 9 pm, with a putrid 78 DP hanging in an air mass that feels metallic..    

I-95 may be too far east for anything ...  

I wonder if the current tor warned cells are really mechanically a part of the TC's approach ...

There is a book end front in the area, one more typically found in the lower mid Atlantic climo ...and I noticed that these cells appeared to trip the warnings as they crossed over that boundary, where the frontal induced helicity is likely enhanced...

90fwbg.gif

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Need some advice from the Mets please.    The Euro has been consistent in bringing a core of very strong gusts through the NW Lakes Region of NH.  It actually intensifies the core as it moves north just east of the Conn Valley.  Im at a high elevation with a south exposure.   I rarely gust over 40 and my all time high in a winter cold front is 61mph.  That did a lot of damage.   Is this core of winds even remotely possible.  Euro says 80-90mph gusts.  I don't believe that but even 60 would be very strong

I think it is possible at your elevation. You basically need to mix, so note I said "possible." That's the difference between 40 and 60. 

• Like 1