• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PJAshtabulaCo
    Newest Member
    PJAshtabulaCo

Hurricane Isaías

Ended up chasing Isaias at the Delaware Beaches this morning.

Started in Seaford, DE where we ended up in a tornado-warned cell. Had some pretty strong straight-line winds while Georgetown itself was mostly flooded by 8 am.

Then headed down to Indian River Inlet and observed continuous tropical storm force winds with a peak in the mid 60 mph range. Basically experienced a faux eye wall as we saw blue skies and a pronounced shift in the winds (south to west).

All in all fun day and definitely worth the trip down! Have quite a few videos to sort through before I post. 

How is AA County looking?

• Like 4

I wanted to chase but my better half said no.

Probably a good thing as at 10:12 a tree came down across the road taking all 3 13kV feeders, telephone, and CATV lines with it.  Road closed!

Funny, last time this happened in the same spot was 03-02-2018.  Winds were much stronger then.  We barely cracked 40mph and those were peaks not 3 second gusts.  But this is what happens when you have trees growing on a hill and 3" of rain before the winds hit.

At least we have a standby genny.  And fortunately a good set of backup feeders!

This is why junk trees need to be CUT DOWN not TRIMMED!

junktree.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This is WxWatcher007 reporting LIVE from Long Beach, NY. The seas are rough and the power is out. Just recorded 38.5 winds and it’ll get stronger. Small branches down so far. 

xAVZGNF.jpg

Time to hoist the flag. 

lovPKqg.jpg

The sea was angry that day my friend.

Just don’t pull a golf ball out of a whale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Both rain gauges max out at 5 inches. Both were filled to the top, so over 5 inches here. Some decent wind gusts in the 10 o'clock hour around here. Some small branches down in the neighborhood. 

6.1" for Queenstown......Strongest wind/rain came from the south with that tornadic line earlier this morn, proly 60s for gusts, then reverting back to NE 25-30 mph .....

3.7” but just a 36 mph  peak gust although things quickly got more intense just to east .

A very good forecasting job by many along with great obs

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Power is out here in Millville with some branches down. 

Was literally looking for your post. I'm sure my parents are out too unless they got stupid lucky. They are about 2 miles from the coast.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This was my street and front yard around 9:15am

IMG_2133.JPG

Based on many of your obs, I have always envisioned you living in a swamp, or a place that's like 2 feet above seal level lol.

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Based on many of your obs, I have always envisioned you living in a swamp, or a place that's like 2 feet above seal level lol.

I do live close to wetlands. But our neighborhood is also poorly graded (which I've fought with the builder and county about, believe me). They're seeing the results of their shoddy work today, sadly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I do live close to wetlands. But our neighborhood is also poorly graded (which I've fought with the builder and county about, believe me). They're seeing the results of their shoddy work today, sadly. 

That is not something you expect to see in a well engineered residential development.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

That is not something you expect to see in a well engineered residential development.

The bolded part...:lol:

There are much worse vidoes... like the homes up the street, where they graded the swale such that the water came rushing through people's homes, smashing the basement sliders this morning.

The highlight of my time here was making the county inspector who approved my house calculate the slope of a line at his desk. When he admitted the grading plan for the street was bad, we were told "oh well, the permits are closed".

The builder having his daughter sit on the board of the Calvert planning and zoning committee is always a big help around those pesky regulations too (I should probably get out of the politics here LOL)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

There are much worse vidoes... like the homes up the street, where they graded the swale such that the water came rushing through people's homes, smashing the basement sliders this morning.

The highlight of my time here was making the county inspector who approved my house calculate the slope of a line at his desk. When he admitted the grading plan for the street was bad, we were told "oh well, the permits are closed".

The builder having his daughter sit on the board of the Calvert planning and zoning committee is always a big help around those pesky regulations too (I should probably get out of the politics here LOL)

Built Rite, eh?   

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Its pervasive.

2.15" here . I tracked for a couple hours early this morning and when I saw the speed of 30 mph of the storm and Hrrr with only 1-3" totals west of Baltimore I figured I'd better get to work lol. Had a job down on Old Court Rd in Pikesville.  Moderate to heavy at times there with just a little bit of wind when I was there . Fun tracking this system though ...even if it underperformed west of i95 a bit . Hard to believe a track deep up the bay didnt get real heavy rains at least west  to Frederick even clipping along at 30 mph  .

I have a niece that lives in the same Prince Frederick neighborhood being referenced above (Built Wrong Homes).  This first pic was her fenced in back yard this morning, and the second is the river, I mean street, in front.

image.png.28013e07eab9ef0ed6e17d79e8d0db84.png

image.png.da13a53d7f2118f610c121a8597d68af.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

@WVclimo is probably receiving more rain right now than from the storm.  One lone cell

I will find out in the a.m.  We are at the shore this week, but my mother-in-law is at our home with the dogs.  I have her sending me the 7:00 a.m. Cocorahs reading, lol.

Brought a spare gauge with us to Bethany Beach.  Storm total of 0.67” here.

41 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

I have a niece that lives in the same Prince Frederick neighborhood being referenced above (Built Wrong Homes).  This first pic was her fenced in back yard this morning, and the second is the river, I mean street, in front.

that's crazy!  talk about terrible site planning/construction by that company.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

2.15" here . I tracked for a couple hours early this morning and when I saw the speed of 30 mph of the storm and Hrrr with only 1-3" totals west of Baltimore I figured I'd better get to work lol. Had a job down on Old Court Rd in Pikesville.  Moderate to heavy at times there with just a little bit of wind when I was there . Fun tracking this system though ...even if it underperformed west of i95 a bit . Hard to believe a track deep up the bay didnt get real heavy rains at least west  to Frederick even clipping along at 30 mph  .

You should have let me know!

1 hour ago, BlizzardNole said:

image.png.28013e07eab9ef0ed6e17d79e8d0db84.png

image.png.da13a53d7f2118f610c121a8597d68af.png

Wow, class action lawsuit maybe?   I wouldn't be so sad to see built rite kicked out of the county.  Then we'd just have marrick and QBH to deal with.... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You should have let me know!

I drove by and stuck a 120 min in your mailbox :D

But I got temporarily blinded by those newly painted neon shutters lol so it might have been the wrong house that got the beer .

• Haha 2

You should never see muddy water ingress on properties like that.  Even with new construction it must be controlled.

Where are the civil engineers on that project?

As far as this event it performed exactly as expected TBH.  Similar winds as a spring/fall coastal soaker.  I'm OK with that as I'm already up to the gills with tree work on the property as it is.  Unless a twister would like to stop by, pull trees and stack them real nice into a monster pile for burning.  Like that's gonna happen.

We're nearly always on the wrong side of the eye here.  Hazel and more recently Isabel proved exceptions.  Hazel was probably a 200 year event?

• Like 1