• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    david121212
    Newest Member
    david121212

Hurricane Isaías

50 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

It's a damned good thing that this storm stayed sheared until the last 12 hours before landfall. Would've been monstrous with even one more day.

everyone always hates on trough interaction but gotta think it helped here in the final run a lot of ways. increased venting caused intensification through landfall, then the added juice aloft plus the punch of dry air prob helped the tornado production etc. I guess without it the storm would have just run into FL or something but still.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neighborhood PWS I usually follow only has 2.02" storm total.  4 other stations nearby are ~2.75" which sounds much more reasonable based on surrounding stations and radar estimates. Either way, below expectations.  Still a fun storm though and would definitely do that again.  A glorious 68F outside right now.  

• Like 1

still raining pretty good up here, around 2.5" 

... and it's a wrap (at least for the rain).  3.62" of rain.  a gust or two could be classified as "fresh" according to Beaufort. Temperature dipped into the upper 60s late in the storm but has now rebounded into the lower 70s

9 minutes ago, frd said:

Super calm here post all the excitement earlier.

I guess I should expect those higher winds in about an hour . @csnavywx did mention some minor CAA mixing down.  After that I imagine we start to look for the sun. If I can get through these higher winds will have dodged a bullet. 

Good luck down there CAPE!    

Yeah I think I have heard it referred to as an atmospheric gravity wave. I seem to recall it can happen on the back edge of precip under certain conditions. (cool/dry air aloft?). It happened years ago during the winter just as the snow ended and I remember a met in here describing the phenomenon.

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Damn. Its blowing here and lots of small debris flying around. Nothing approaching 70 I don't think. Probably 45-50.

My PWS recorded a gust of 41.2 mph in a rather protected (from wind) location at roughly 6' off the ground.  Rain pretty much done, looks like 6.5" since midnight, puts it close to 7.0" for storm total.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Just came back from a morning at the beach here in Delaware.   At Bethany Beach there is quite a bit of erosion, with a 3’ high shelf above the water very near the dunes.

Recorded a 65 mph gust with the handheld anemometer at Indian River Inlet.  Sustained winds were mostly 45-55 mph.  Blowing sand really stings at those speeds.

Lots of branches down, and some wires with sporadic power outages throughout the area.  Fence knocked down and blown out at the condo where we are in Ocean View.

Power is out here in Millville with some branches down. 

• Like 1

Well that was fun! Probably a good appetizer for whats likely coming out of the tropics in the coming weeks. 

So not a great day for those in the eastern shore tornado alley though.  Hope everyone is safe. 

38 minutes ago, frd said:

In regards to that tornado warning for the Middletown, DE  area I have seem some rather sad images of structural damage to several well built residential home. Appears not to be straight line,  but more so tornado related. Was close to my location, about two miles I believe, the hook presentation and velocities on the radar at the time support my belief these homes were hit by a tornado. Will try to post some images. 

Family was lucky to not suffer any structural damage in Middletown but they did lose power. Some of my friends are saying a house collapsed behind the Giant supermarket. Might drive over later today and take a look! 

What do you think the tornado will end up being classified as? Maybe a high E1?

That sudden uptick in wind definitely coincided with the precip free "center" of the storm passing over.

The lighter precip on the sw side is coming through now, and the wind has died down.

1 hour ago, Dr.Trager said:

Family was lucky to not suffer any structural damage in Middletown but they did lose power. Some of my friends are saying a house collapsed behind the Giant supermarket. Might drive over later today and take a look! 

What do you think the tornado will end up being classified as? Maybe a high E1?

The area right over the Summit bridge, crossing over the C and D Canal has a development, in that development several homes had structural damage, looks pretty bad actually. For a home(s) to home parts of it ripped off I would think winds were well over 80 to 90 mph. Windows blown, trees down, roofs and corners ripped off.      

Just now, frd said:

The area right over the Summit bridge, crossing over the C and D Canal has a development, in that development several homes had structural damage, looks pretty bad actually. For a home(s) to home parts of it ripped off I would think winds were well over 80 to 90 mph. Windows blown, trees down, roofs and corners ripped off.      

Just saw video and pictures out of Summit Farms. Absolutely devastating to see the damage. A lot of those homes look very well built too. This has to be the first time in years that Middletown has had damage like this from a tornado. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, high risk said:

interesting that some of the CAMs have some scattered convection breaking out in the DC area later this afternoon due to a weak shortwave

today would def have been a storm day without Isiais but in the wake of it and with rising heights etc it's a bit more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Trager said:

Just saw video and pictures out of Summit Farms. Absolutely devastating to see the damage. A lot of those homes look very well built too. This has to be the first time in years that Middletown has had damage like this from a tornado. 

Yes, we are talking modern homes,  all well built . Maybe the speculation could be made for a F 2.  Again total guess. Microburst or straight line winds could be the cause,  but the area was under a tornado warning and the track was right over them. So,  I would go with a tornado. Will have to see what the NWS determines.   

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

today would def have been a storm day without Isiais but in the wake of it and with rising heights etc it's a bit more difficult. 

no doubt.    I'm not sure how much instability we can get this afternoon, and the rising heights argue against widespread coverage, but the deep layer shear is still there for some modest wind potential if storms can develop.

• Like 2

This is WxWatcher007 reporting LIVE from Long Beach, NY. The seas are rough and the power is out. Just recorded 38.5 winds and it’ll get stronger. Small branches down so far. 

xAVZGNF.jpg

Time to hoist the flag. 

lovPKqg.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 7

14 hours ago, snowfan said:

HRRR is kinda meh. Hate to sound like EJ, but its flying through the area, winds stay east of the bay and the rain is like a normal big rainer around here.

Fairly accurate. Looks like parts of southern md took it on the chin along with the eastern shore. Really nice outside now.

KDIX is down now too.  With KDOX still down that leaves the coast from Delmarva to much of NJ in the dark so to speak.  Fill in from other stations is not the same coverage at all.

Mt. Holly Mets must be freaking.