• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Irish
    Newest Member
    Irish

Hurricane Isaías

So here's a question - I was just thinking how weird it is to not see states really early declaring preemptive State of Emergency. Is that because there are already SoEs up for the COVID pandemic? Or would they need to declare a separate one from storm related monies?

Paging @Eskimo Joe

• Like 1

Looks like some serious fun back home right now and you guys are just getting started. Had the very outer part of the core just come ashore here just south of Myrtle Beach and it was pretty good. Beachfront and I could hardly see the ocean it was raining and blowing so hard. Windows and doors whistling pretty good and house shaking. Curious to see if it comes right over us tonight or not.

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

So here's a question - I was just thinking how weird it is to not see states really early declaring preemptive State of Emergency. Is that because there are already SoEs up for the COVID pandemic? Or would they need to declare a separate one from storm related monies?

Paging @Eskimo Joe

You can take the existing Dec in MD and expand for a category of protection. VA being a Commonwealth gov and DC it's own animal are different so I am not exactly sure about them VA gov. did one separate for the TS. Since most locals have ridden the State of MD dec for the COVID incident, there may be some local decs, particularly on the eastern shore if flooding becomes and issue. One hard rule is that if the local gov. needs a Fed or out-of-state resource then they have to declare, even if it's for like 24 to 48 hours. 

• Like 2

Getting a bit breezy. Some T&L. Nice turbulent-looking sky. 

I'd shave 2" off the rain for 20+MPH of extra wind. 5"+ will probably cause water in my basement and I'll spend most of My Dinner with Isaias emptying the water vac into the downstairs commode. 

Per the SPC meso analysis, there's some pretty good deep moisture convergence lining up across the I-64 corridor in VA. Might see that gap behind the initial round of rain start to fill in here shortly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Wow a second drive-by from Mr. Abrasive. What a treat!

How much for northern New Hampshire?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Radar just rapidly filled in everywhere.

Oh how we pray for the same in the winter. 

Good luck everyone and be safe. Tell your friends and family not to drive through flooded roads! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Good luck everyone and be safe. Tell your friends and family not to drive through flooded roads! 

Right? And yet it so rarely produces...Then again, most storms don't exactly have this sort of moisture to work with.

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If this was winter, we'd be the Pittsburg of this storm.

• Haha 1

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Quick question: What did some of you call the cause of the rain that we're seeing now ahead of Isaiás? (I know it was pre-something, lol)

Precursor Rain Event

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Behind this initial batch, you can see some more cellular activity starting, looks like little training clusters trying to form over Central VA.

No thunder here, but rain

• Weenie 1

And we're off, ladies and gentlemen! Precursor rain commenced pretty earnestly. I'm starting to wonder if the general rule of thumb for us and the tropics is: The I's have it...lol

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Predecessor Rain Event (PRE) 

:P 

Somebody needs to tell LWX

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Multiple bands of showers and strong thunderstorms have
developed south of I-66 and along and east of I-81. Hail and
damaging winds, along with flooding rainfall, will be the main
concerns through the remainder of the afternoon. This activity
will slide northward but then should be joined by additional
convection from a PRE (Precursor Rain Event) well ahead of
Isaias this evening. Isolated incidences of flooding will be the
main concern as we transition into the evening.
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Paging @Eskimo Joe

The Declaration of Emergency is already in place so in most jurisdictions this would be considered an incident within an incident but would be tracked as it’s own disaster should that be necessary for any type of federal reimbursement.