• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Another fun day at Stowe, arrived to Santa Ana winds in the parking lot this AM which was strange b/c there was no sign of wind in downtown Stowe nor up on the hill in Waterbury. Only the triple was running due to wind so we lapped available terrain. Sometime around noon, they dropped the rope to Hayride and we were among the first to take a couple nice runs top to bottom before the masses got there. From then on, we called it a day at 2,  we alternated skiing gulch which had some nice bumps but had been closed earlier and Hayride. A nice two days of skiing, won't be renewing my Epic pass and will miss skiing Stowe. On the way out of town took a couple pictures of the mountain with fields in the foreground, very picturesque. My son was going to snap a picture of me standing on one of the picnic tables on the summit today, oh well. edit: btw: it was my son's bday yesterday and with every scan, we got to hear The Beatles' Birthday - I hope Vail is paying Apple Corp a royalty.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, powderfreak said:

It’s a weird mix of like historical precedence and just lost of interest. Too far north to get day traffic, but then people rightly say Jay and Sugarbush go longer. I think it’s falling now firmly in the “this is just what we do” regardless of ownership group.  Third Sunday in April has been the day for decades.

Business levels play into it but it’s also weird that we get almost zero push back from the local community.  They look forward to closing or at least have also accepted that third Sunday in April.  They all just will be skinning the very next day.

Most of the people I know couldn’t wait to close Big Spruce so they can now skin it with friends and dogs.  Main Street is a bump run right now all from skinning traffic. I truly believe the local community enjoys the closure with snow still left because this is such a strongly uphill oriented town and area.

They know they can go to Sugarbush or Killington for a while, but it’s an odd mix of people who cannot wait for the lifts to stop running here.

To answer your question, the main reason I get is just “That’s what we’ve always done.”

A bunch of years ago (when I used to ski) I was at Waterville Valley, the first weekend in May. This was their last weekend to be open at the time.  There was close to 100% coverage still, and the skiing was so nice, but the place was near empty. The staff who I spoke to pretty much said that there is not enough local interest, and people in the "south" (Boston and vicinity) are thinking golf and pretty much non-winter sports. .  If there is no interest there is no reason to keep taking losses. for a few more days or weeks.  

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

A bunch of years ago (when I used to ski) I was at Waterville Valley, the first weekend in May. This was their last weekend to be open at the time.  There was close to 100% coverage still, and the skiing was so nice, but the place was near empty. The staff who I spoke to pretty much said that there is not enough local interest, and people in the "south" (Boston and vicinity) are thinking golf and pretty much non-winter sports. .  If there is no interest there is no reason to keep taking losses. for a few more days or weeks.  

This happens in the summer too. Anyone familiar with beach traffic patterns knows that in September the beach crowds drop off rapidly, even on the weekends. There are many beautiful beach days in September, and even October, and the water is at its warmest, but most people have already started mentally moving on to pumpkin spice and roast turkey season despite it still being like 85 degrees outside... society is always rushing this stuff. These same people rush the beaches in late May when it is 67 degrees outside and cloudy and the water is in the lower 60s. LOL

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

This happens in the summer too. Anyone familiar with beach traffic patterns knows that in September the beach crowds drop off rapidly, even on the weekends. There are many beautiful beach days in September, and even October, and the water is at its warmest, but most people have already started mentally moving on to pumpkin spice and roast turkey season despite it still being like 85 degrees outside... society is always rushing this stuff. These same people rush the beaches in late May when it is 67 degrees outside and cloudy and the water is in the lower 60s. LOL

Paging @Ginx snewx, paging Ginxy.  For as long as I've been on these forums he's touted September as the best beach month.

It is very similar, just like skiing... usually (not this year, ha) the deepest snowpack of the season is achieved when people have moved on to other warm weather activities.  Humans get bored easily and want to rush into the next season before it's actually here.  Just like the posts on here of a certain someone looking for HHH weather in like late April and winter storms in October.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A little Lurk Skiing this morning for a buddy... the original ski method was one long pole until humans decided it made more sense to hold one in each hand.

Look at the Notch in the background... just completely torched of snow joining 2012 and 2016 for this time of year.  It's weird though, it feels really rare but then you think it's 3 out of last 10 winters, so maybe not quite as rare at 30% of the last decade looking like this on this date.

170675010_10104504782681260_289200993997

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So true about the beaches.  Those warm September days are awesome.  Such beautiful days, no parking fees, and no crowds.  

In June we will see fall clothing sales.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

As everyone already knows, it was a tough season for a lot of resorts

https://vtdigger.org/2021/04/06/a-brutal-year-for-vermonts-ski-industry-losses-estimated-at-100-million/

Is that considered a big loss for them?  I honestly have no idea. 
To me it’s obviously a lot of $$$ but for the VT it is under 10% of their annual avg.  Is it much worse than a bad snow year? 

Skied Cannon today. Had a lot of fun, beautiful day but they will pushing some snow to keep going thru Sunday. Plenty of snow off trails serviced by the profile lift, although the area around the immediate summit is thin. But the trails connecting the top to bottom are in tough shape. Middle Cannon is shot, bypass closed so you need to drop down and ski spookie b/c middle ravine is in tough shape. The front 5 are now 3 and none are in great shape. zoomer was disconnected yesterday but they pushed snow and gary's and rocket aren't deep but should make it. Due to lack of snowy, there isn't a bump on hill which is what I like to ski but it beat work. Hopefully not the last day of season but very could have been. 

12 minutes ago, Angus said:

Skied Cannon today. Had a lot of fun, beautiful day but they will pushing some snow to keep going thru Sunday. Plenty of snow off trails serviced by the profile lift, although the area around the immediate summit is thin. But the trails connecting the top to bottom are in tough shape. Middle Cannon is shot, bypass closed so you need to drop down and ski spookie b/c middle ravine is in tough shape. The front 5 are now 3 and none are in great shape. zoomer was disconnected yesterday but they pushed snow and gary's and rocket aren't deep but should make it. Due to lack of snowy, there isn't a bump on hill which is what I like to ski but it beat work. Hopefully not the last day of season but very could have been. 

Sheesh, it seemed really rough a couple weeks ago when I went there last. I can't imagine what it looks like now. Sounds like you had a good time which is all that matters.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, PhineasC said:

Growing up in a beach town and lifeguarding for several years, you nailed it. I have preached on these boards for anyone who would listen, you want right to lift skiing go in mid March, you want to walk on beaches and swim basically alone go in Sept. Herd mentality, sheep are trained to herd, wolves know when to attack. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

On 4/7/2021 at 2:54 PM, powderfreak said:

Paging @Ginx snewx, paging Ginxy.  For as long as I've been on these forums he's touted September as the best beach month.

It is very similar, just like skiing... usually (not this year, ha) the deepest snowpack of the season is achieved when people have moved on to other warm weather activities.  Humans get bored easily and want to rush into the next season before it's actually here.  Just like the posts on here of a certain someone looking for HHH weather in like late April and winter storms in October.

You know it plus as an added benefit the surf is bigger and the blues and stripers are running.  Swim all day fish at dusk. Done this for hundreds of Sept days. Like Garth said free parking as well.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

You know it plus as an added benefit the surf is bigger and the blues and stripers are running.  Swim all day fish at dusk. Done this for hundreds of Sept days. Like Garth said free parking as well.

September on Buzzards Bay is amazing. The water is warm but the persistent southwest winds of summer are gone and the bay is often like glass.  Great for buzzing around in a motorboat. 

Killington was pretty sweet today.  Melt down in style, water water everywhere.  Get out and walk, no problem.  A good chunk of the hill was open and still offering slushy bumps and snow cone consistency underneath.  Not sticky in the least.   Great to get that one more big day in, now we can move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Killington was pretty sweet today.  Melt down in style, water water everywhere.  Get out and walk, no problem.  A good chunk of the hill was open and still offering slushy bumps and snow cone consistency underneath.  Not sticky in the least.   Great to get that one more big day in, now we can move on.

If it's going to melt out, this is the way to do it.  A nice stretch of June weather in the first half of April.  Much rather be able to enjoy the melt instead of losing it from like a week of rain.

I've skied in a t-shirt more days in the last 3 weeks than I think I have in like the previous 5 seasons combined, ha.

Nosedive was the trail of the day up here.  By far the best wall-to-wall coverage for the full length of the 2,100 vertical feet on the mountain.

April10.jpg.c8dd39bfe4320c62f818d4a1c8d5bc75.jpg

• Like 1

Rode Sunday river on Sunday and sugar loaf on Monday. First time at both mountains. Sunday River was a mess and really struggling, lots and lots of mud and walking. Not a speck of natural snow. Sugar loaf was a whole other world. Tons of natural snow above 3k and had a great time. What an epic mountain. Definitely going back mid winter next season! 

883F781D-478E-4AE3-A1FA-256F699D4358.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 4/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, PhineasC said:

I agree. It's funny how people in New England associate end of summer with Labor day. Down where you are in fall, the beaches are probably still warm enough to swim into late October. That's why I've been pushing the wife to build a house on stilts on the OBX. Design it to withstand a Cat 3, maybe even Cat 4 on the gulf side. NH in summer, winter, down there in fall/ late spring. Heading to PR tomorrow. That's not my kind of weather, but who knows. Lot's of cheap deals. 

8 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Rode Sunday river on Sunday and sugar loaf on Monday. First time at both mountains. Sunday River was a mess and really struggling, lots and lots of mud and walking. Not a speck of natural snow. Sugar loaf was a whole other world. Tons of natural snow above 3k and had a great time. What an epic mountain. Definitely going back mid winter next season! 

It's one of a kind.  A quintessential April mountain and they had a tough winter in terms of snowfall. 

That area is also fantastic hiking in the summer.  Saddleback/Rangely to the Bigelow Range is an epic stretch of the AT. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Sugarloaf has bar none the best snow preservation in New England... just so far up there.  Best April mountain there is.

We are really struggling at Stowe too.  I've never seen this before for sure.  13" at the Stake (record low since 1954) and RT 108 through the Notch is open... never had the road open while the Quad is still spinning in the spring.  The men and women on the grooming team are putting a band aid on each night and they are the true heroes... it's crazy what those tractors can do farming snow each night.

• Like 1

Today was pretty awesome at Saddleback.  4-5” fell from the storm and another 1” during the day up high. Trees were still very skiable off the kennebago chair.  Intimidator and Nightmare were super fun.   Not nearly as epic as my first time at Saddleback.(2/27 and 2/28 2010 if you don’t know look it up) but still a pretty nice day.  Glad I was able to make it up here. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, Skivt2 said:

Fun skiing the April powder day at killington!  Very tricky conditions since what is underneath is so suspect in many places.  But good to get that floaty feeling again.

Your area got the jackpot, I was seeing shots of measurements on Pico from skinners of like 16-18” even after compaction.  Seems like JSpin found that today too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Today was pretty awesome at Saddleback.  4-5” fell from the storm and another 1” during the day up high. Trees were still very skiable off the kennebago chair.  Intimidator and Nightmare were super fun.   Not nearly as epic as my first time at Saddleback.(2/27 and 2/28 2010 if you don’t know look it up) but still a pretty nice day.  Glad I was able to make it up here.  

Saddleback summit must have gotten 30-40" from that earlier storm.  Rangeley measured 17" down by the lake at 1530'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Saddleback summit must have gotten 30-40" from that earlier storm.  Rangeley measured 17" down by the lake at 1530'.

It was supposedly 4 feet! It snowed another 6” over night on Saturday. May have been the greatest two ski days of my life. It snowed another 10” that Sunday night as well, I regret not staying another night.