Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

8 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Can confirm.

2d7d0eeb396a497106bc9d3140e85f96.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Nice.....headed there Saturday.....wasn’t my favorite winter weenie wise but the riding has been great mostly.....have taken the kids multiple times in CT pretty much every weekend.....last Sunday sucked at the end with rain lol but otherwise was fine at Sundown.....if it can last through March that’s solid.....miss Tahoe early summer riding lol but hey whatever....

Skied at Sugarbush on Saturday and Sunday, i found the hard pack to be a lot of fun and fast, and only once did I carve on something that felt frozen. After 12 days of skiing on what felt like powder/packed powder this season, it was actually really enjoyable to experience hard pack. While I'm not a big fan of the spring skiing, I do like seeing the ice jams on mad river, we should start a thread about awesome ice jam pictures and statistics!

Saw these announcements and I just laughed. Wildcat at least stays open until Patriot's Day (this year 4/18) every year...this was my expectation when I purchased the pass. I am suspect of whether there will be that much skiing terrain available at wildcat if we run into a stretch of warm, wet weather.

EDIT: texting with a friend and he sent me a screen shot of the published close date, 4/11 for both Mt. Snow & Wildcat. So, I stand corrected. My statement is valid though re: expectation and from the feedback they are receiving on the post, folks aren't too impressed. I think this may be an interesting disconnect of corporate office not understanding the local market. Another friend sent me an email today from SLoaf saying Reggaefest will be held 3 consecutive weeks April 3, 10 and 17. Interesting to see if Cannon decides to push to Patriot's Day - would be good strategy IMO.

3 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Wish I could ski today.  Damn work!  Pretty awesome outside today.  Tomorrow were skiing at 3 and then grilling dinner in the lot! Great stuff!  Maybe one last dip into the woods here this season for me.  

Wife and I took the day off work to ski our local bump in the morning. We had some cord for a while and transitioned to that nice toothpaste stuff. 
Something we both noticed around noontime was if we skied under the shadow of a single tree the snow had a different feel than in the full sun. Neat stuff.   It was also nice to sit outside and eat lunch (and a beer before noon)

39 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wife and I took the day off work to ski our local bump in the morning. We had some cord for a while and transitioned to that nice toothpaste stuff. 
Something we both noticed around noontime was if we skied under the shadow of a single tree the snow had a different feel than in the full sun. Neat stuff.   It was also nice to sit outside and eat lunch (and a beer before noon)

Pretty typical low dew day on the snow. Shadows stay frozen. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. It makes sense but I guess I never noticed it before.  I started chasing shadows. Lol. 

7 minutes ago, radarman said:

Hate it when you're cruising on a shady trail side and suddenly at high speed you traverse a low angle sunny spot... Topheavy feeling ftl.  That's when the hour you put in with the iron, the scraper, and warm weather wax becomes well worth it.

Yep. That transition zone is a killer, especially man made which can be like peanut butter.Loved spring sking from hard fast firm in the morning to soft bumps all after noon. Corn it up Eric and Dave

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Hate it when you're cruising on a shady trail side and suddenly at high speed you traverse a low angle sunny spot... Topheavy feeling ftl.  That's when the hour you put in with the iron, the scraper, and warm weather wax becomes well worth it.

That I’ve felt noticed many times before.  The tree thing was new to me I guess 

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There's a trail called Rimrock at Stowe that connects the Quad side with the Gondola side at 3,000 feet or so.  It's under the whole ridge and just seems to have shadows a lot of the time. In the spring time when you are traversing across/down it for what seems like over a mile... the trick is to get into the shadow on the side and keep your bases flat to glide as best as possible.  It's funny to see a trail with everyone gliding single file down the immediate edge.  Whenever you get into the sunny spots the snow slows down dramatically.  You definitely can feel it even on the scale of individual tree shadows.  Evergreens giving that larger shadow.  Nice observation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bch2014 said:

Where do you see Mt Mansfield in this picture? 

Im squinting and can’t find it haha :)!!

Neither can I.  Looks like SR near the left edge and Mansfield shouldn't be too far from the right edge. (If not beyond)   Google Earth has MWN 61 miles from Saddleback at about azimuth 225° true.  SR is 37 miles at around 210° and Mansfield 115 miles at about 255-260°.  Given the respective angles left and right from MWN, Mansfield might be off the right edge.  (Bearings are eyeball estimates thus none too precise.)  Looks like the Mahoosucs between SR and MWN, more toward MWN.

Edit:  The close-up circle between peaks looks to be the saddle between Elephant and Old Blue Mountains, south of Richardson Lake and about 17 miles from Saddleback.  The "gunsight" view between those summits would point toward Moosilauke/Layayette, peaks that are 90 and 77 miles from Saddleback, respectively (assuming GE is accurate.)

Wife and I drove the loop home-Eustis-Rangeley-home (149 miles) today - spectacular.  Unfortunately, trees were in the way of seeing the Bigelow range unobstructed from Eustis Ridge. (We didn't care to wade into several feet of snow on the unplowed picnic area and stand on a table for a better view.)  Last time I was there was October of 2003.  Great views of Saddleback both from the north while on Rt 16 and from the west while headed home on Rt 4.  Rt 16 bumps between Stratton and Rangeley were memorable.  Surprisingly saw neither deer (they get fed on the Kennebago Road just off 16 in Coplin Plantation) nor moose.