• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

I was heading up the lift today at Berkshire east around 4pm and I was noticing how scratchy liftline was, especially on the steep upper parts and by the lift towers. ... then I noticed a guy fearlessly crushing it. I yelled, "Hey, Pete!" But I don't think he heard me.

... so I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of the infamous SkiMRG. He's the only guy I know that actually thrive to aggressively ski barely there lines.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My wife and I were saying earlier how much we miss night skiing. I grew up on the stuff. My dad worked all day and then after school we’d jump in the car and head up to the local ice piles north of Baltimore to ski in the dark. There seems to be no night skiing up here in NNE right now. I remember BW having it when I was a kid but it’s shut down now I guess. Perhaps another victim of the damned virus. There is really something magical about night skiing under the lights. 

4 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

I was heading up the lift today at Berkshire east around 4pm and I was noticing how scratchy liftline was, especially on the steep upper parts and by the lift towers. ... then I noticed a guy fearlessly crushing it. I yelled, "Hey, Pete!" But I don't think he heard me.

... so I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of the infamous SkiMRG. He's the only guy I know that actually thrive to aggressively ski barely there lines.

Wasn't him, but sounds like him

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

My wife and I were saying earlier how much we miss night skiing. I grew up on the stuff. My dad worked all day and then after school we’d jump in the car and head up to the local ice piles north of Baltimore to ski in the dark. There seems to be no night skiing up here in NNE right now. I remember BW having it when I was a kid but it’s shut down now I guess. Perhaps another victim of the damned virus. There is really something magical about night skiing under the lights. 

BW had night skiing up through the mid-2000’s... Because I remember seeing the lights when I skied there for the first time as an 11 y/o in April ‘07 (great snow month). 

In terms of night skiing in NNE, a number of places have it. Shawnee Peak (not super, super far from Randolph) would probably most be best for you and the family. Gunstock, Bolton Valley, Big Rock, and Camden Snow Bowl are a few other places I know have night skiing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bch2014 said:

BW had night skiing up through the mid-2000’s... Because I remember seeing the lights when I skied there for the first time as an 11 y/o in April ‘07 (great snow month). 

In terms of night skiing in NNE, a number of places have it. Shawnee Peak (not super, super far from Randolph) would probably most be best for you and the family. Gunstock, Bolton Valley, Big Rock, and Camden Snow Bowl are a few other places I know have night skiing.

Doesn't BW still have it on weekends? I could have sworn I saw them advertising night skiing when I was up there a few winters ago, but it was for weekends. Cranmore has night skiing too on Saturdays unless they changed it.

Shawnee is probably the best one semi-close to him...it's like an hour drive but they stay open until 9pm.

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Doesn't BW still have it on weekends? I could have sworn I saw them advertising night skiing when I was up there a few winters ago, but it was for weekends. Cranmore has night skiing too on Saturdays unless they changed it.

Shawnee is probably the best one semi-close to him...it's like an hour drive but they stay open until 9pm.

Looks like Phin was right... Covid casualty.

"Will there be night skiing this season?
Traditionally, night skiing is offered starting the week of December 26th. However, due to the additional housekeeping requirements that are going to be necessary to fully sanitize the buildings after a peak day, we will not be able to offer night skiing at this time. We will continue to re-evaluate throughout the ski season so please check the website for the most up to date operating schedule."

https://www.brettonwoods.com/Plan2021Tickets

On 2/25/2021 at 10:43 PM, PhineasC said:

Stowe used to have it off the Gondola when I first moved up here.  We'd ride the Gondola up and then ski adjacent trails by headlamp.  Over time though, it just wasn't worth it, low skier traffic.  It just gets too cold and windy at night on Mansfield for people to want to partake in a meaningful way, apparently. The light poles are still there (telephone poles) and we used to test them before night events at the Cliff House.  So they could be turned on in the event of an evac.  Can never be too prepared when people are dressed in high-end suits and dresses, riding the Gondola at night up Vermont's highest peak to a party at the top.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Stowe used to have it off the Gondola when I first moved up here.  We'd ride the Gondola up and then ski adjacent trails by headlamp.  Over time though, it just wasn't worth it, low skier traffic.  It just gets too cold and windy at night on Mansfield for people to want to partake in a meaningful way, apparently. The light poles are still there (telephone poles) and we used to test them before night events at the Cliff House.  So they could be turned on in the event of an evac.  Can never be too prepared when people are dressed in high-end suits and dresses, riding the Gondola at night up Vermont's highest peak to a party at the top.

Boy, Stowe’s night skiing was pretty fantastic though – 2,000’+ laps off the Mansfield gondola had to be tops in the state with respect to vertical and quality of lit terrain.  You’re right about the cold though; winter days up here can be cold enough, and winter nights are even more brutal.  There’s something about the lack of sunlight that just makes the cold even more impactful at night.  We’d typically go to Stowe for night skiing when conditions were just right – if there was a storm coming in during the day and into the evening to provide fresh powder, and temperatures were up around 30 F to be able to ski comfortably.  We always have unlimited night skiing with our Bolton passes, but we still practice the same approach for night skiing now.  The thing about night skiing at most areas from our perspective is that terrain is so limited compared to what is available during the day, that you need something to really up the ante to make it worth it (such as fresh snow and comfortable temperatures, and minimal wind, etc.).  Otherwise, we’re just going to ski during the day when the entire mountain is available and temperatures are warmer.

• Like 2

Nice day at wildcat yesterday. The mountain has adequate snow to have everything open although a few select trails, i.e. hairball is a bit sketch which I skied and someone told me not to bother with feline - isn't worth it. Anyway, the usual runs are all bumped up and were a ton of fun to ski. I was thinking about the conditions between BW a few weeks ago and Wildcat today. Just totally different, the groomers don't ski as nice whether it's the trails twists and turns, double fall lines or grooming/snowmaking and the natural terrain/ungroomed stuff is just more difficult terrain. With that said, they stayed all snow on saturday and snow was good. I am concerned that without snowmaking on some trails, i.e. upper wildcat; one good rain event will finish it for the season. fun time, definitely a feel of early spring. met a guy in line who came over from stowe due to stowe, he said he already had 75 days there this season. the mask wearing in the lift line was atrocious.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 10:43 PM, PhineasC said:

After 3 late-winter excursions in 1970 put the bug in my mind, I bought a night ski season pass at Great Gorge in NNJ for 70-71.  That, plus the Jan ski week at the old Glen Ellen, changed me from a scared snowplower to a low-intermediate parallel skier.  Easy to see the bumps at night - no such thing a flat light then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Made it up to Berkshire east today after work.  Things were still a bit firm but it skied pretty well.  Woods were super fun but getting pretty thin in places.  Natural snow always skis so much better than the manmade! 

I'll be there all day tomorrow with wife and child.  Weather looks good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nice article in today's Glob about Brooks Curran, living the modern bum life in VT... pay site though... https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/03/04/metro/how-be-modern-ski-bum/

Rode bikes with Brooks on occasion in the MRV. Cool that they did a profile on him! Blowing up on instagram with his ski media. Kid is a real solid skier but an even better biker I think. 

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nice article in today's Glob about Brooks Curran, living the modern bum life in VT... pay site though... https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/03/04/metro/how-be-modern-ski-bum/

I knew his dad through my job.  He had me as a guest at Burlington Country Club.  He saw me hitting shots on the practice range, beautiful soft draws with my 9 iron so he got us in a money match with our playing partners.  I choked so bad that he called the bet after 9 holes lol.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I knew his dad through my job.  He had me as a guest at Burlington Country Club.  He saw me hitting shots on the practice range, beautiful soft draws with my 9 iron so he got us in a money match with our playing partners.  I choked so bad that he called the bet after 9 holes lol.  

Had no idea their family golfed lol. Denny built some of the bike trails in the valley too so definitely a pretty legendary guy locally. 

51 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Had no idea their family golfed lol. Denny built some of the bike trails in the valley too so definitely a pretty legendary guy locally. 

I am assuming it's the same Dennis Curran.  He owned a business in Essex, Brown's River Bindery, I think was the name.

• Like 1