Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

20 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Three days of not skiing trees was hard for me.  Today had just enough snow to get back into some of the favored spots.  A little scratchy but the fresh snow did the trick.  Good stretch of winter out here with cold temps and decent snowpack.  

Did a couple skin laps up Mt Lincoln in Pelham this morning... there's not much to it, but always sweet to be outside on a day like this.

DSCN1127.JPG.633c28ca0571574264a1b4929638ea2f.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, mcglups said:

I skied Mad River Glen yesterday for the first time ever. Wow, what an awesome mountain! The snow quality was incredible, the only ice I ever felt was on frozen waterfalls on rocks! The lifts are slow, but that gives plenty of time to rest. Quite impressed

You'll never catch me at MRG.  And that's not of my own volition..

17 minutes ago, mcglups said:

I skied Mad River Glen yesterday for the first time ever. Wow, what an awesome mountain! The snow quality was incredible, the only ice I ever felt was on frozen waterfalls on rocks! The lifts are slow, but that gives plenty of time to rest. Quite impressed

Always had been the most challenging mountain 

Between today and this weekend the snowpack at low elevation Berkshire East is going to dwindle. Pretty good run though on basically average snowfall.  Cold weather and little refreshers have helped.  
Potential for mid week storm and cold next week likely sets us up for one last hurrah next weekend.  

25 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

Between today and this weekend the snowpack at low elevation Berkshire East is going to dwindle. Pretty good run though on basically average snowfall.  Cold weather and little refreshers have helped.  
Potential for mid week storm and cold next week likely sets us up for one last hurrah next weekend.  

The almost snowless January really made this season feel short. I can’t believe they close in four weeks. 

It should be a really good stretch though.  There's a ton of snow.  They were making it until about  a week and a half ago and some of the huge whales just got groomed out last week.  The consistent cold has preserved the pack even if snowfall has been normal.   The trails should cruise through March barring a total disaster, and the snow in the woods gets very forgiving even as it starts to dwindle.  Unlike an early season pack you can see all the obstacles and feel good about making turns wherever you see snow.  I'm pretty excited for a big finish.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Given the solid pack heading into March, if we can avoid a mega-torch and rain it could be a really nice ski month.

March is #1 for skiing in my book. You've got a deep pack and then it either dumps or is sunny and warm. Can't beat it. 

Edit: obviously there are exceptions, its New England after all. But your odds are as good as they're gonna get!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, radarman said:

Great stuff.  Shred

Thanks, the video is still processing so the quality should improve.  Snow + compression look terrible together and Youtube already compresses enough so I made sure to render with the best possible settings and color grade the footage for at least some visible contrast in the snow.  I really love having a GoPro, not so much for B-Roll or third person perspective, my phone does a good enough job of that, but for POV stuff it's so great.  I've used it for surfing/bodyboarding too and the footage always looks sick.  I want to get a 360 camera next, I worked with them in school and they're pretty sweet.  Maybe I'll grab the next MAX iteration from GoPro whenever that is. 

Are those pictures you took at Berkshire East?  My buddy is a part time liftie there, I'm not sure if he's working cause he got a concussion in that accident on his way home from Jay on Monday, but I was thinking of seeing if he can hook me up with a ticket on my way home Friday.  Those tall spaced out pines remind me of Magic Mountain.    

11 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Are those pictures you took at Berkshire East?  My buddy is a part time liftie there, I'm not sure if he's working cause he got a concussion in that accident on his way home from Jay on Monday, but I was thinking of seeing if he can hook me up with a ticket on my way home Friday.  Those tall spaced out pines remind me of Magic Mountain.    

Yes it is.  It's a little cousin to Magic with substantially less annual snow.  But great terrain on the rare times it's fully game on, steep, all sorts of boulders and cliffs, and well spaced trees.  And today's softened pack put it all in play, not worried about what may be lurking and fully in control for technical maneuvres in the chutes.

Once things freeze up it'll be on hold for a bit, but we've still got a great spring day or two left even if nothing else should fall.

20210224_145624_HDR_resize_90.jpg.27d0d2f5a64f02892bf0668ed83e874a.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, radarman said:

Yes it is.  It's a little cousin to Magic with substantially less annual snow.  But great terrain on the rare times it's fully game on, steep, all sorts of boulders and cliffs, and well spaced trees.  And today's softened pack put it all in play, not worried about what may be lurking and fully in control for technical maneuvres in the chutes.

Once things freeze up it'll be on hold for a bit, but we've still got a great spring day or two left even if nothing else should fall.

Nice pictures! I think Magic is a great mountain, so having a mini version close to the more urban areas is nice for everyone.  Will definitely check it out one day.  PA mountain tree skiing consists of rocks and tight sapling.  I barely bother to go to my local mountains except with my girlfriend or if its t-shirt weather.  Blue mountain is ok, but they charge like $80 for a day pass its freaking nuts.  Elk is better but almost 3hrs away and at that point ill just got to VT.  Especially when you consider I pay just over $50 to ski Jay.

You guys might get a kick outta this.  I filmed it after the first of 4 storms this February in SEPA.  It was my first time on the board since March 2020 due to the Lyme stuff.  This faces east, but there's also a north facing line that is probably really good right now.  It's longer with more vert too and offers a 2 1/2 minute run believe it or not, I filmed it just never posted the video.  George Washington's stomping grounds.  

• Like 1

Obviously i love all the praise you guys have for Berkshire east. It's such a gem.

Yes, there's still many whales for them to continue to push out, I see them going strong for a while. Honestly I'm surprised they made a much as they did as late as they did considering their mountain biking is really taking off and I have no doubt they want to get that up and running as soon as skiing is no longer profitable.

I haven't gotten out nearly as often as I'd like, typically only 2-3x per week there.

Haven't put together a ski gtg in a while. Next year, for sure! Thought about throwing something out there for everyone here this year, but covid....

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Obviously i love all the praise you guys have for Berkshire east. It's such a gem.

Yes, there's still many whales for them to continue to push out, I see them going strong for a while. Honestly I'm surprised they made a much as they did as late as they did considering their mountain biking is really taking off and I have no doubt they want to get that up and running as soon as skiing is no longer profitable.

I haven't gotten out nearly as often as I'd like, typically only 2-3x per week there.

Haven't put together a ski gtg in a while. Next year, for sure! Thought about throwing something out there for everyone here this year, but covid....

I wish I could figure out how to post pictures from my phone on here.  I have a lot of berkshire east shots from this winter.  Anyhow.... I would think berkshire east attempts to keep skiing through March.  I don't have any insider information on it but in years past they have opened for one weekend in April.  The natural may be gone by end of next week but the manmade will stick around for a long time.  I made turns on Comp in early May 2015 and again in 2018.  Barring any major warm spells I'd think the will close with a decent amount of terrain still skiable as they have buried the mountain in snow since the temps dropped mid Jan.   They transition rapidly from skis to bikes,  quicker than from bikes to ski.  I have never seen the ski area as busy as it has been this year.  I was up there dropping my son off yesterday and was surprised how busy it was mid week, mid day after school vacation week.  I doubt people stop showing up especially if were harvesting spring corn most of March. 

11 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

I have never seen the ski area as busy as it has been this year.  I was up there dropping my son off yesterday and was surprised how busy it was mid week, mid day after school vacation week.  I doubt people stop showing up especially if were harvesting spring corn most of March. 

Totally agree, midweek this year has been way, way busier than any previous year.

I know at WaWa, due to pass and ticket restrictions, mid week has been almost as busy as the weekends.   We went last night for a bit, after Feb school vacation, mid week, and the lines were pretty long.  Not as bad as some other years due to restrictions but suprising.  The warm, sunny weather played a role I am sure.

It was so nice...snow was perfect, plus we hit a couple of runs right after their afternoon/evening groom...fresh cord at 6PM

I know at WaWa, due to pass and ticket restrictions, mid week has been almost as busy as the weekends.   We went last night for a bit, after Feb school vacation, mid week, and the lines were pretty long.  Not as bad as some other years due to restrictions but suprising.  The warm, sunny weather played a role I am sure.
It was so nice...snow was perfect, plus we hit a couple of runs right after their afternoon/evening groom...fresh cord at 6PM
Lol. Afternoon/ evening groom... What's that?

That's my one complaint about night skiing at Berkshire east. There are some nights that can be downright sketchy that could certainly use a little help come dusk.

... then again, I'm a corduroy guy. Everything else, naso much. I'm happiest if I'm going Mach 3 down a green or blue groomer with a perfect surface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

That's my one complaint about night skiing at Berkshire east. There are some nights that can be downright sketchy that could certainly use a little help come dusk.

... then again, I'm a corduroy guy. Everything else, naso much. I'm happiest if I'm going Mach 3 down a green or blue groomer with a perfect surface.

Yeah. I am old enough that I prefer a smooth groomer unless fresh snow has fallen.  I’ll go for corn snow bumps though. That stuff can still be fun. I still want to be skiing in 20+ years

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

We would have fun skiing. I am a firm and fast surface guy. Once it goes to mashed potatoes it’s less fun. I do some bumps and trees with the kids but I don’t find it that enjoyable. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It has been much busier this week than in prior weeks. We only ski midweek so can’t comment on the weekends. It seemed like NJ schools were on break this week? Lots of Jersey shore types out there. :)  

It's NH school vacation week. Always the week after President's Day week.

Maybe the Hampton Beach crowd?!

• Like 1