• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

I would wait to ski wildcat or get an unbiased snow report. The reports of winds from the weekend will have completely scoured the slopes.

On a related note, got a text from a friend who skied Wildcat on Thursday and Friday and it was his #1 & 2 days of year. Of course, he also took a wrong turn and had to ski down a boulder field which he could not understand why it was open.

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That, the wood stove and the stereo...

It was hand made by a friend of the family's mother.  It's 6'x12'.   They gave it to us when we bought the old Vermont Castings wood stove from them.   Yes, it does tie the room together!

I absolutely love those rugs, just makes a room feel more comfortable imo. 

Gunsight at Alta this morning.. Alta has plenty of snow to have a great time but certainly thinner than when I’ve skied there in the past.

Bonus photo of Lavell Edwards with Mt Timponogas (sp?) in background. My 52nd FBS CFB stadium visited (games at about 30 of them). Ironically, never been to my childhood state U’s stadium (UMass). 

CF158DB4-B467-4086-AA75-12528C3296EB.jpeg

02593A9F-3A9D-4934-8CD7-211BAAFECC01.jpeg

• Like 4

We hit up Bromley this weekend and the conditions Saturday were really great.  That 14" or so they got the previous weekend combined with a steady 2-6" of fluff for multiple days last week really improved things.  They dropped the ropes on Havoc, which is one of my favorite runs there and it was awesome. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, radarman said:

You don't know what you're missing ;)

the football program at UMass is a mess but I have a memory - early 70's when BC & UMASS played annually - of being out there in late Fall and the parking was on grass fields around the stadium. There must have been a big rain storm because cars were getting stuck in the mud and the field was just torn up...see it was weather related.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 4:55 AM, Angus said:

I would wait to ski wildcat or get an unbiased snow report. The reports of winds from the weekend will have completely scoured the slopes.

On a related note, got a text from a friend who skied Wildcat on Thursday and Friday and it was his #1 & 2 days of year. Of course, he also took a wrong turn and had to ski down a boulder field which he could not understand why it was open.

Yeah it is not good here. Nothing on the mountain has been groomed in days clearly. Don’t say on your website you groomed a trail when it is covered in bumps and dips and clearly hasn’t been touched in many days. It may be fine in the trees, I’m not in there. I am trying to teach 4 kids how to turn and stop with some steepness. I need long groomed runs for that. It’s a shame because there is some really neat terrain here. It’s just ruined right now. 

So just saw this on twitter -  under the lift is starr line - closed and to the right is black cat - open. a friend skied black cat on friday and said it was a joke. they usually blow snow some snow on black cat to cover up the rocks 

18 hours ago, Angus said:

So just saw this on twitter -  under the lift is starr line - closed and to the right is black cat - open. a friend skied black cat on friday and said it was a joke. they usually blow snow some snow on black cat to cover up the rocks 

How was wildcat under peaks?  Maybe this is just a case of vail not caring about this mountain as much as others they bought.  Have to think hunter and mt. Snow were what they were really after.  Could also be staffing issues this year too.  Tough to judge any place by this f’d up year.  Hope it gets better.  When I venture to nh at some point this season, I think I’m going to take the majority’s advice and try cannon.  

Just now, bwt3650 said:

How was wildcat under peaks?  Maybe this is just a case of vail not caring about this mountain as much as others they bought.  Have to think hunter and mt. Snow were what they were really after.  Could also be staffing issues this year too.  Tough to judge any place by this f’d up year.  Hope it gets better.  When I venture to nh at some point this season, I think I’m going to take the majority’s advice and try cannon.  

I was a peaks pass holder for a season when I was working up in that area.  I skied Wildcat probably 25 times that year.  I have never found it to be very busy, I did ski mostly midweek but I don't think the weekends ever get too crazy up there.  Wildcat doesn't fit into Vail's business model.  They don't have the greatest bar/restaurant and they aren't super high volume.  Mount Snow, Hunter and Attitash are the prizes for Vail in that peaks deal.  

28 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Anecdotal, but I would say staffing might be an issue. Basically I saw two staff guys out on the entire mountain all day. One at the bottom of the main quad and one at the top. I saw no one else. None of the usual grooming crews, snowmaking crews, ski patrol, guys on snowmobiles, etc. It was kinda noticeable. 

During Peaks, Wildcat became something of a test bed for snowmaking from what I heard or read. I've always thought it paired well with Attitash - ability to use ticket at either area. Wildcat is restricted by its location - they can't build condos and I think they are limited to existing structure footprints. It's funny, when you ski there, I'm always amazed by the # of Maine skiers who live close to Sunday River who drive to Wildcat instead. Cannon and Wildcat are cut from same cloth. Cannon has benefitted by significant investment over last decade as a result of Mt. Sunapee being run privately.

Gotta say the skiing at Stratton this last 7-10 days has been just great. We’ve had about 40” of snow in the last two weeks and great temps. Today is brutal but the skiing recently just top notch. Been getting refreshers almost daily too, the tree skiing is insane. 

@MarkO how much snow fell in the WV area this week? thinking of skiing into livermore road area via the Kanc/greeley pond trail but friend who was there last weekend said it was very icy. hoping enough snow fell this week to improve conditions.

Was back at my old haunts yesterday for my first midweek day on the hill since being an employee three years ago. Sick snow globe feel and nobody around yielded around 3" by last chair. Visited some old favorites and while soft turns were had, we could use another 1-2' of consolidated base before the real fun starts.  

IMG_20210128_102425718.jpg

IMG_20210128_153045569.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Was back at my old haunts yesterday for my first midweek day on the hill since being an employee three years ago. Sick snow globe feel and nobody around yielded around 3" by last chair. Visited some old favorites and while soft turns were had, we could use another 1-2' of consolidated base before the real fun starts.  

IMG_20210128_102425718.jpg

IMG_20210128_153045569.jpg

That chair spacing has to be the castle rock double.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Angus said:

@MarkO how much snow fell in the WV area this week? thinking of skiing into livermore road area via the Kanc/greeley pond trail but friend who was there last weekend said it was very icy. hoping enough snow fell this week to improve conditions.

Not too much this past week. My snowpack is about 6", but it's much deeper higher up. I was able to ski Tangent, Ciao, Gema on natural last weekend. Probably enough snow above 2000' to ski the woods, but it could be boney. We took the sleds up to Stinson Mountain on Monday. Barely enough snow at the trail head near Chesley's but plenty up near Stinson Pond

Plenty of snow to ski into Greeley pond from the Kanc side. Spectacular morning in there. Hiked up to Lonesome Lake in PM with friends, again beautiful. It was cold and windy when not protected by the trees. @wxeyeNH it is cold at the lake! There is ice but arrived after dark so will investigate in the AM.

• Like 1

It is very interesting on the mind to watch this storm evolve! I live in Newport RI and heading to Sugarloaf ME for the week, but strangely enough it looks like both locations might actually end up with a decent snow from this storm. I don't think they have enough snow to ski the summit, but I hope to get back up there in late February or early March. I think VT has better snow right now, but the travel rules with COVID are easier for Maine, got my results today and safe to travel, so gearing up now!