Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Where'd you hear that?  Just curious.  Saw on the report they didn't groom it but were planning to make snow on Polecat.  That's pretty standard practice to drop a trail from the grooming plan if it's on the snowmaking plan. 

Grooming normally isn't a job that struggles to get interest in rural areas, there are usually a plethora of Carhartt wearing heavy machine operators available (I love Carhartt for the record, wear it daily, not a dig).  Many operate excavators in the summer and then grooming machines in the winter, usually one of the few jobs that ski areas don't have trouble filling.

Saw it on the snow report and then saw on another forum that Attitash and Wildcat are sharing grooming staff. I also checked the Wildcat cam at 3 PM and no snow was being made on Polecat yet.

12 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Saw it on the snow report and then saw on another forum that Attitash and Wildcat are sharing grooming staff. I also checked the Wildcat cam at 3 PM and no snow was being made on Polecat yet.

Gotcha. I could just easily see the idea being drop that trail from the grooming plan as we hope to make snow on it tomorrow.  As soon as I read the report that was my initial thought.  Makes sense in an Ops meeting.  But that really only works for the guest if you actually make snow on it, ha.  

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

A different type of super-spreader event...

139363675_10104424766998330_908828819501

As someone who has torn their groin twice, this pains me deeply lol

Tash and Meow Pow used to share snowmaking crews under Peaks but not grooming. The lack of snowmaking seems Wildcat specific since Crotched and its limited water supply is almost completely open. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GCWarrior said:

This next storm should help Wildcat's snowmaking problems!  

I'm thinking of going there this weekend, but I'm not yet certain. Conditions sucked on New Year's weekend, but if they get 12"+ from this storm then that should certainly help.

I don't want to pay for a lift ticket at Cannon or Bretton Woods, but if conditions are a lot better on those mountains then who knows?

Skied at Crotched tonight with 10 year old nephew. Mostly ski team practice in early evening and then kids and families. Whole mountain is open where there is snowmaking and the snow making pond is full. There was plenty of snow to push around. They don't have a super deep base but rock solid.

32 minutes ago, Angus said:

Not all Bostonians though based on the thousands that arrived in town today.  

No doubt VR knows what they are doing too.  I bet it’s a similar play as last year... sometime in the spring to early summer they’ll come up with a refund program based on number of days skied.  It’ll be right around the time the next year’s pass goes on sale and people will then turn around and buy next years’ pass with that money.

I don’t know of anyone doing a straight refund at this time of year, but say IKON you can roll it over to next season if you can’t ski a single day this year.  That’s what VR will end up doing IMO.  They will try to figure out how much of it is COVID related and how much of it is just a really poor snow year and now people see a way to get money back.

Still don’t get though why people thought the travel restrictions would lessen, I mean VT has had these guidelines since last March.  That wasn’t a surprise for the guy who acts like this was a new thing.  I didn’t know that you can’t go to NH from MA without quarantining on return though.  I figured the NH areas were fair game.

With the exception of the crowds (they actually stopped selling tickets), the conditions at Waterville were excellent, especially in the morning. I measured about 14" at 3500'. Down below about 3000' there was a thin crust layer under about 3" of powder from last night. Even though some trails were closed, folks clearly ignored the signs. Had just enough coverage on natural snow. 

45 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

I dislike posting on facebook groups and having people tell me I can't ski places because they don't want me wrecking their spot. 

That being said, anyone here think the Thunderbolt is skiable right now? I'd think it would be above 1500'. 

Base is there but A LOT of trees are down on the trail above 2000' after some big freezing rain events. 

6 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Base is there but A LOT of trees are down on the trail above 2000' after some big freezing rain events. 

Yes I read that on the ski runners facebook page.  I'll bring a saw, maybe i can help out a little.  I'd think there are a lot of trees down on the skin track as well.  I may just go for it. 

18 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

Yes I read that on the ski runners facebook page.  I'll bring a saw, maybe i can help out a little.  I'd think there are a lot of trees down on the skin track as well.  I may just go for it. 

"The Bumps" area was a bit thin. Needle's Eye and Schuss looked like base damage central earlier in the week but I imagine they have gotten 3-4" since then maybe more.

12 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Welp, it’s been a few years but I think I’m going old school tele tomorrow at B’East. 
Nothing wrong with sticking to the green and blue slopes for a day.

edit:  This is all because I f’d up a binding on my alpine skis. 

7E3376D0-0A8A-4B88-A3B6-39752EF505C7.thumb.jpeg.1aebe69edd4f7f73355bbd14f0ac2c31.jpeg

That rug looks like it really ties the room together man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hit Sunapee for our time out this season.  Trails are in decent shape for after a holiday. I also forgot how shaded sunapee trails can be and I should have thrown in my low light goggle lense.  Wait times weren't bad but I can see why people are getting pictures of long lift lines during holiday weekends.  Staff is on top of moving people along.  This is something I see much more out west.  Ive had days in the east where the lift staff is more in the way than they are helpful.  My wife accidentally had her mask down in line (she was horrified) and was reminded to mask up.  With last seasons discount applied to this years pass it wont take too many trips to break even.  All in all it was nice to be outside.

I know we discussed it before about ski areas reporting snowfall. I think My theory that Gore’s marketing doesn’t emphasize snowfall reporting has some merit today. They make generalized remarks about snowfall over a lengthy time period and do not have the best website setup to show totals it’s just a 24 hour report or 7 days. Anyways I know they got some fairly substantial snow yesterday (my guess 2-4+”) based on radar, photos, and trip reports I read on the ny ski forum. From what I can see they didn’t mention anything about yesterday’s snow on the report this morning which really surprised me. I just think places like Killington or Jay Peak don’t miss the chance at reporting every inch of snow that falls and for the most part that is how it should be done, barring any turn to rain that washes the fallen snow away. That should be mentioned in an ethical conditions report in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

I know we discussed it before about ski areas reporting snowfall. I think My theory that Gore’s marketing doesn’t emphasize snowfall reporting has some merit today. They make generalized remarks about snowfall over a lengthy time period and do not have the best website setup to show totals it’s just a 24 hour report or 7 days. Anyways I know they got some fairly substantial snow yesterday (my guess 2-4+”) based on radar, photos, and trip reports I read on the ny ski forum. From what I can see they didn’t mention anything about yesterday’s snow on the report this morning which really surprised me. I just think places like Killington or Jay Peak don’t miss the chance at reporting every inch of snow that falls and for the most part that is how it should be done, barring any turn to rain that washes the fallen snow away. That should be mentioned in an ethical conditions report in my opinion. 

Absolutely agree.

Do you mean NYSkiblog? Harvey is the man, have had some good times with him at Magic. Gore is a sneaky good mountain in general. Not many places where you can take one lift and ski 1500' of woods back down but RIP Dark Side Lift Line. Other than some of the lower mountain cliffs of MRG it was one of the most challenging around. Could get into a rhythm easier and not landing flat like the lower Birdcage cliff. Every time I look at this pic my neck hurts. 

No photo description available.

24 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Absolutely agree.

Do you mean NYSkiblog? Harvey is the man, have had some good times with him at Magic. Gore is a sneaky good mountain in general. Not many places where you can take one lift and ski 1500' of woods back down but RIP Dark Side Lift Line. Other than some of the lower mountain cliffs of MRG it was one of the most challenging around. Could get into a rhythm easier and not landing flat like the lower Birdcage cliff. Every time I look at this pic my neck hurts. 

No photo description available.

Yep ny ski blog. Gore is awesome terrain wise. If they got a bit more snow it’d be one of the top places In the east for sure. I was there last week before the snow and was still impressed with the conditions and snowmaking. 

Yep ny ski blog. Gore is awesome terrain wise. If they got a bit more snow it’d be one of the top places In the east for sure. I was there last week before the snow and was still impressed with the conditions and snowmaking. 

Very impressed with Gore this year. Got a season pass so I’m finally skiing it enough to learn the mountain. Super complicated lol. True, when there’s lots of snow, the tree skiing and lift lines are awesome.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 9:57 PM, PhineasC said:

We've come to really love Cannon. The self-contained Tuckerbrook area is so good for the small kids. They can loop over and over on those blues and always get back to the same lift to meet up. 

It is a top 10 New England mountain.  Skiers mountain.   Cannon and Wildcat are my 2 favorites in NH.     

On 1/23/2021 at 8:56 AM, PowderBeard said:

That rug looks like it really ties the room together man. 

That, the wood stove and the stereo...

It was hand made by a friend of the family's mother.  It's 6'x12'.   They gave it to us when we bought the old Vermont Castings wood stove from them.   Yes, it does tie the room together!

• Like 1