Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

5 hours ago, MarkO said:

Welp, looks like I won't be doing any skiing for another week or two. At least none that doesn't involve hiking. I actually got it (Covid) from someone I skied with last Saturday. Not from the skiing itself, but from driving up in the same car and having breakfast and lunch together. So even though we followed all the guidelines, it's still possible. Don't let your guard down.

Ah that makes sense.  No cases traced to skiing itself but many to the ancillary aspects of close proximity for more than 15 minutes (travel, eating, times without a mask).  Hopefully it's just mild.  Sorry to hear your neighbor is in the ICU.  Stay well Mark!

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ah that makes sense.  No cases traced to skiing itself but many to the ancillary aspects of close proximity for more than 15 minutes (travel, eating, times without a mask).  Hopefully it's just mild.  Sorry to hear your neighbor is in the ICU.  Stay well Mark!

Our Health Dept. has really pushed this aspect too. If you are going to do something like skiing or hiking or snowmobiling, avoid carpooling and hanging out inside close together afterward. 

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

Our Health Dept. has really pushed this aspect too. If you are going to do something like skiing or hiking or snowmobiling, avoid carpooling and hanging out inside close together afterward. 

I’m sure that here in VT, carpooling (with masks) has to be allowed to a certain degree because some people have no other means to get to work, get to the doctor, etc., but I don’t think the state regulations encourage being in an enclosed space (e.g. vehicle) with someone from outside your household, do they?  I’m pretty sure you can’t eat meals with people from outside your household yet either here, but the rules could be different in different states.

17 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’m sure that here in VT, carpooling (with masks) has to be allowed to a certain degree because some people have no other means to get to work, get to the doctor, etc., but I don’t think the state regulations encourage being in an enclosed space (e.g. vehicle) with someone from outside your household, do they?  I’m pretty sure you can’t eat meals with people from outside your household yet either here, but the rules could be different in different states.

That’s what I meant. 

19 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yea, being in a car for a few hours with someone outside your "pod" without masks would seem like one of the highest chance avenues of contracting it. 

Hopefully Mark has a mild case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, being in a car for a few hours with someone outside your "pod" without masks would seem like one of the highest chance avenues of contracting it. 

Hopefully Mark has a mild case.

My ride to/from mountain is only 15-20 minutes, but that's all you need. Yes, it's been mild. Like I said, I only got the cough and it's been very minor (no longer an issue). One day of achiness. Today I feel 100%, but I know I may not be through the woods just yet. Weird, for the first time in my life I woke up with beautiful breath. I guess I lost my sense of smell a bit, but it's seemed to have returned. Very relieved. When I heard I was exposed, I'll admit I was a bit nervous because you never know how bad it's going to be. I have type O blood, and some say blood type may have to do with how bad it is, who knows? Cases are through the roof. Don't let your guard down. 

9 minutes ago, MarkO said:

My ride to/from mountain is only 15-20 minutes, but that's all you need. Yes, it's been mild. Like I said, I only got the cough and it's been very minor (no longer an issue). One day of achiness. Today I feel 100%, but I know I may not be through the woods just yet. Weird, for the first time in my life I woke up with beautiful breath. I guess I lost my sense of smell a bit, but it's seemed to have returned. Very relieved. When I heard I was exposed, I'll admit I was a bit nervous because you never know how bad it's going to be. I have type O blood, and some say blood type may have to do with how bad it is, who knows? Cases are through the roof. Don't let your guard down. 

Oh Ok, thought you meant driving from Mass up to your NH spot.   But like you said, 5-10 min car ride is probably long enough time in car that is pretty much an incubation chamber.

Good news though that it seems mild for you.  I'm definitely being a little less cavalier with my attitude towards outings compared to the previous months with cases spiking.

• Like 1

Skied for about 90 minutes at Crotched today in the afternoon. Not bad for what it is. Pretty good crowd.

I noticed that Wildcat lost power early in the morning and said they would provide updates but didn't appear too. Yikes.

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Skied for about 90 minutes at Crotched today in the afternoon. Not bad for what it is. Pretty good crowd.

I noticed that Wildcat lost power early in the morning and said they would provide updates but didn't appear too. Yikes.

They are the closest ski place to me but it seems kinda shaky there this season. Spending my days at Cannon and Bretton Woods.

• Like 1

I sound like a broken record, but honestly, it’s so close.  There are some glades open and the natural stuff is very thin, but there’s a base.  If we could pull like 8-12, it would be a whole different mountain.  They could literally go from 30 or so trails to probably 70.  You would think a foot at jay would be easy, but it’s like pulling teeth.  The saving grace is there hasn’t been any washouts but I bet it’s been several years since the trail count was this low going into the second week of Jan.  If some of the upslope comes through this week and the late week disturbance holds together, it may a solid weekend.  But wow am I (and I’m sure a few others) getting impatient.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I sound like a broken record, but honestly, it’s so close.  There are some glades open and the natural stuff is very thin, but there’s a base.  If we could pull like 8-12, it would be a whole different mountain.  They could literally go from 30 or so trails to probably 70.  You would think a foot at jay would be easy, but it’s like pulling teeth.  The saving grace is there hasn’t been any washouts but I bet it’s been several years since the trail count was this low going into the second week of Jan.  If some of the upslope comes through this week and the late week disturbance holds together, it may a solid weekend.  But wow am I (and I’m sure a few others) getting impatient.

Yep, a solid 12" across the NNE region followed by a cold surge would get us all back on track.

2 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Looks like Wildcat is so short on staff that they didn't even have the manpower to groom Polecat last night. 

What a pathetic offering from Vail this season in NH.

Oooooof. How long before they are selling it?

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

There’s about 4 at the top today...quietly, a great day out there after the refresh.  And jay being jay this year, you can find trails still barely touched an hour after the lifts started spinning.

Awesome. With Kitz and Liftline open yesterday I figured a lot of places (i.e., Timbuktu,  Canyonland, etc) were close to, if not already, skiable

Lower lift line was open yesterday, but they wound up closing it.  It was in bad shape.  It was back open today, but still not the best. Kitz was better, and today was great with last nights snow.  I think I lapped that to stateside glade about four times.  Timbuktu wasn’t open.  Not sure why with everything else on stateside open.   They prob could have opened most of the glades today, but held back on a lot.  They are finishing up blowing ullrs, so I think they just didn’t want to deal with people on that side making their way over.  I would guess they move  the guns to upper north way to get the tram ready and if this weekend comes through, should be pretty close to 100 percent next week.  

11 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Looks like Wildcat is so short on staff that they didn't even have the manpower to groom Polecat last night. 

What a pathetic offering from Vail this season in NH.

Where'd you hear that?  Just curious.  Saw on the report they didn't groom it but were planning to make snow on Polecat.  That's pretty standard practice to drop a trail from the grooming plan if it's on the snowmaking plan. 

Grooming normally isn't a job that struggles to get interest in rural areas, there are usually a plethora of Carhartt wearing heavy machine operators available (I love Carhartt for the record, wear it daily, not a dig).  Many operate excavators in the summer and then grooming machines in the winter, usually one of the few jobs that ski areas don't have trouble filling.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Where'd you hear that?  Just curious.  Saw on the report they didn't groom them but were planning to make snow on Polecat.  That's pretty standard practice to drop a trail from the grooming plan if it's on the snowmaking plan. 

Grooming normally isn't a job that struggles to get interest in rural areas, there are usually a plethora of Carhartt wearing heavy machine operators available (I love Carhartt for the record, wear it daily, not a dig).  Many operate excavators in the summer and then grooming machines in the winter, usually one of the few jobs that ski areas don't have trouble filling.

LOL yeah Gorham is full of those guys. They are at my place all the time digging and paving. 

10 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

They sized you up from a mile away with those MD plates and massive log home..lol

Yes, I was and continue to be swarmed. Masons, excavators, carpenters... sometimes electricians. Plumbers are impossible to find. There appears to only be one plumber in Coos County and he is retired. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, I was and continue to be swarmed. Masons, excavators, carpenters... sometimes electricians. Plumbers are impossible to find. There appears to only be one plumber in Coos County and he is retired. 

Good reliable plumbers are also tough around here.  My wife's Dad was a local builder here for 30 years and his plumber he used for 20 of them still  kind of blows us off even with the so called "connection"..ha

• Like 1