Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

21 hours ago, powderfreak said:

History has shown about a one to two winter learning curve for resorts and their customers.  By the third winter, RIFD is as smooth as it gets.  Part of it is consumer education and the other part is operational education.  Once it gets dialed, it is the way to go, along with long distance scanners that can hit a ticket anywhere on a persons body, even buried in a wallet.  The days of having to take out and show a pass to someone, or take it out to have someone scan it, are over.  You get your ticket or pass, you put it in your snowpants pocket and you don't have to fish for it every lap.  Just cruise on through.

Not to mention being able to load online and not having to wait in ticket queues. Convenience on the part of the customer, cost savings on the part of the resort in many facets of the operation. Just requires patience. Though I couldn't believe the innumerable amount of complaints that first year at the Bush over having to spend $5 on a card...it was like, please believe us this will benefit you!

9 hours ago, radarman said:

December 2011 might have been pretty awful up there, I don't really recall however.  Was certainly awful down here.  Maybe they scored some upslope or something.

edit- Dec 2015 too maybe? 

Dec 2015 was brutal. Still running WROD on Christmas at Bush with 0 natural OTG. Ski breaks became depressing staring at bare ground day after day. 

• Like 1

Bummed to hear of all of these crowding reports. Stratton was very reasonable today. Nearly all lifts open and probably 60% of the terrain available. Longest lift line was 5 minutes and people seemed to be respectful with masks/distance etc. Still baffles me that nobody (relatively speaking) parks at the sun bowl base. Best snow and no lift line over that way as well. 

2 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

Bummed to hear of all of these crowding reports. Stratton was very reasonable today. Nearly all lifts open and probably 60% of the terrain available. Longest lift line was 5 minutes and people seemed to be respectful with masks/distance etc. Still baffles me that nobody (relatively speaking) parks at the sun bowl base. Best snow and no lift line over that way as well. 

I’ve been to Kilington and both Lincoln peak and mt Ellen at sugarbush.  Crowds not an issue.  They had employees going around reminding people to pull the masks up.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Has Jay really received 67" on the season? That's what their reporting.

Just check on what PF has recorded for the season on Mansfield (55” I assume).  You know that’s going to be a rock solid number.  Assuming both resorts started counting snowfall at roughly the same time, just add roughly 10 or 20% onto the Stowe number, and if Jay Peak’s number is in that range, it’s probably about on track.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Has Jay really received 67" on the season? That's what their reporting. Gusts to 95mph tomorrow. Overstated?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I bet it’s close, but very deceiving.  I haven’t been up there non-stop since November, but from when I have, I’ve seen probably 30-40 of that and I’m at about 1850’.  There was an early November storm that was over a foot and probably 10” this Tuesday.  Thanksgiving week we nickel and dimed about another 10” too and I know I missed at least one double digit upslope.  So at the summit, it may be a bit of a jay measuring number, but i bet it’s close.  The real issue is that there has been no real lasting pack.  Thanksgiving week washed away that Thursday, many of the early events only lasted a few days and this week’s is clearly gone.  The numbers were pretty average until about the last ten days, but the “pack” was way down.  The next week to ten days look like shit, but you never know up there.  I’m patiently waiting for that monster 2-3 week period where they put down 50-60 inches. Climatology and averages say it should come eventually.  When it has snowed though (like early this week) the conditions were fantastic.

2 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I was about to post the same question snowgeek, also there are some high resolution models (NAM3K, WRFNMM) showing some elevated spots like Bretton Woods getting up to 6" tomorrows system. I'd love for someone like Will or Scott B to chime in:)

Not them but I have been telling them in the NNE thread to watch Mon Tues

1 minute ago, MarkO said:

I mistakenly left you out Ginxy. Maybe that or did I hear you won't be doing much skiing this year? Surgery or something? Hope all is well and I'll check that thread. Thanks!

2018 was my last ski days unfortunately.  4 back surgeries since but I live through you guys.   My opinion is you guys up there rock with winter this upcoming week.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

2018 was my last ski days unfortunately.  4 back surgeries since but I live through you guys.   My opinion is you guys up there rock with winter this upcoming week.

Ahh crap, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the surgeries have helped with your situation. The models have trended somewhat favorably. I hope you're right! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hopefully, you are feeling better.  Last night over-performed up here.  Close to 5 at 1850' and while not enough to get back to any natural trails, it def  made conditions much better than expected.  If we could score another 3-6 mon/tues and not have a NYD washout, with some decent back-end snows, we would be "ok" shape heading into a time where shit really has to go bad not start building a decent base up here.  We need one 12-18 storm to put the base down and then hopefully, upslope our way to reliable conditions.  So i strongly approve of your opinion for this week!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Hopefully, you are feeling better.  Last night over-performed up here.  Close to 5 at 1850' and while not enough to get back to any natural trails, it def  made conditions much better than expected.  If we could score another 3-6 mon/tues and not have a NYD washout, with some decent back-end snows, we would be "ok" shape heading into a time where shit really has to go bad not start building a decent base up here.  We need one 12-18 storm to put the base down and then hopefully, upslope our way to reliable conditions.  So i strongly approve of your opinion for this week!

Yep, this about sums it up!

Picked up close to 3” throughout the morning and early afternoon here at jay, but it didn’t do much to help.  Wind was kickin so everything was pretty firm.  The moving carpet on stateside that got blown over last week is apparently done and will have to be replaced over the summer.  Any other year that would have been devastating during Christmas week, but with the reduced capacity, can’t really notice it in the lesson pods.  The place isn’t busy by any stretch, but there’s people here which is good for them.  Really need NYD to work out up here to get things rolling.