• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Got in the range today after reading the Thunderbolt Runner's FB page this morning. About 10-12" of coverage, did 2 laps down some intermediate open trees and once trip down a switchback fire road. Both are pretty rock and room/stump free. Forgot how hard it was trekking up in fresh. Been cold enough it is still super soft. If there are any Kinco's fans, their new "ski glove" is way too warm. I'll stick to my others until it's about -50 lol

• Like 2

Berkshire East was very busy, so we decided to forego the lift and skin up the Wilderness side , which was quiet and beautiful.  Perfect temps, no wind and light snow. But afterward we rode the lift a few times and found that the handful of groomers were chalky PP and really super good, somewhat to our surprise.

20201218_114826_resize_18.thumb.jpg.07dca6b4b88e188cd22190060585603f.jpg

• Like 3

Enjoyed a week at Sugarloaf, looking forward to returning when the entire mountain is open! Monday was hard frozen granular because of the Sunday drizzle and overnight freeze, making for some challenging first day of the season. Tuesday was very cold and very windy and first runs were good, but then it was difficult because of the overall conditions. Wednesday was really good, the snow had dried out, the sun returned, and the wind was calmer. I could envision the expanse of the entire mountain and successfully skied from the top to the bottom without a stop! Thursday was an improved repeat of Wednesday along with 1-2 inches of natural snow. Friday was very enjoyable. The entire mountain staff was very helpful, I somehow broke my pass and they replaced it. Snow making was in full effect, but guns were never pointed at lifts or interfering with main runs. Crowds were minor, besides a brief delay on day one, there was never a lift line. Social distancing inside building was plentiful, attributed to low head count of mid-week activities. --- I drove up on Sunday and didn't see any snow until I got within 50 miles of the mountain. The drive home today will be quite different and aiming to take the longer path to check out the 3+ feet swath in New Hampshire, just seeing snow drifts on the highway gets a sense of being part of it! Onward for the 2020-2021 mountain season!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, radarman said:

Berkshire East was very busy, so we decided to forego the lift and skin up the Wilderness side , which was quiet and beautiful.  Perfect temps, no wind and light snow. But afterward we rode the lift a few times and found that the handful of groomers were chalky PP and really super good, somewhat to our surprise.

20201218_114826_resize_18.thumb.jpg.07dca6b4b88e188cd22190060585603f.jpg

Is this the back past the zip lines? Did that once before. Was unaware of the walk back down E and East Hawley Rds. 

10 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Is this the back past the zip lines? Did that once before. Was unaware of the walk back down E and East Hawley Rds. 

The big zip lines are a little further ahead in that picture, but yes.  It's actually the Roundabout trail.   The woods on the right are all pretty darn good, but as you mention you have to walk/ski down the road to where you can cut back into the resort.  Later in the winter when there are some old snowbanks from plowing you can pretty often find a ski track on top to keep sliding rather than hoof it.

1 hour ago, radarman said:

The big zip lines are a little further ahead in that picture, but yes.  It's actually the Roundabout trail.   The woods on the right are all pretty darn good, but as you mention you have to walk/ski down the road to where you can cut back into the resort.  Later in the winter when there are some old snowbanks from plowing you can pretty often find a ski track on top to keep sliding rather than hoof it.

Got it, thanks.

Did you get to Catamount? Kind of curious about those new trails. I remember Off Stage being a pretty fun little bump run to finish off your legs.

Reminded me of these. I was probably 12 in these pics, was after a 2-3' dump in the early 2000s. Some amazing memories with @MBRI

Off Stage

No photo description available.

In the process of sliding 100' down Catapult and ending at the old fence that was at the top of Catamount Chair. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Got it, thanks.

Did you get to Catamount? Kind of curious about those new trails. I remember Off Stage being a pretty fun little bump run to finish off your legs.

Reminded me of these. I was probably 12 in these pics, was after a 2-3' dump in the early 2000s. Some amazing memories with @MBRI

Off Stage

In the process of sliding 100' down Catapult and ending at the old fence that was at the top of Catamount Chair. 

LOL nice

Catamount is known to be a little stricter about sign enforcement, although TBD I guess with the new general manager.   And with not much officially open, we decided to pass.   We'll definitely head on over there later winter.  The  new trails are straight down the fall line,  maybe the steepest cut trails in MA.  Just needs snow.

59 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

PF takes amazing pictures. Hope he gets Stowe to pay him for those. 

Over a decade now I’ve been a paid photog... my stuff is everywhere.  Brochures, trail map covers, now in Vail Resorts media. Magazines. Coffee table book on the greatest ski runs in the world.  If you see a Stowe shot, there’s a chance I took it lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Over a decade now I’ve been a paid photog... my stuff is everywhere.  Brochures, trail map covers, now in Vail Resorts media. Magazines. Coffee table book on the greatest ski runs in the world.  If you see a Stowe shot, there’s a chance I took it lol.

Ok, good. :)  

Your shots all give me a “mountain life” vibe, capturing the manic energy of running a ski resort mixed with the serene natural beauty and quiet up high. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You are amazing Scott

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Is BEast trail report legit? I know you and many others mentioned skiing just about everything but this morning they had 7 trails open. They have always had that issue though lol

Beast did only have 7 trails open.  Everything else was “skiable.”  Best was the lower angle stuff.  Fat skis helped a lot too.  I did not ski lift line.  Jug was a blast. Honestly, Berkshire east is never fully game on, maybe once every few years for like three days. There is always rocks and stumps to hit in the woods.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Beast did only have 7 trails open.  Everything else was “skiable.”  Best was the lower angle stuff.  Fat skis helped a lot too.  I did not ski lift line.  Jug was a blast. Honestly, Berkshire east is never fully game on, maybe once every few years for like three days. There is always rocks and stumps to hit in the woods.  

There is one stump towards skier's left on Jug that gets me and made me a Marker binding fan. Twice I smoked it, ski got stuck, and released. And that was on a front DIN of 11, lucky both times. I ski on the right side now lol. 

Stopped at Mt. Snow on the way up today to grab some of last weeks storm.  Solid day.  The natural trails were soft and skiing well, but getting thin.  They probably have another day left and then are done.  My favorite trail jaws was one of the best there; soft manageable bumps right down the fall line.  Couldn’t get to the woods off Olympic, but off pdf there were still some decent stashes.  Busy day..prob about 15 minutes consistently at the bluebird.    Stowe tnrw morning and some laps here at Jay in the afternoon.  Jay needs snow bad.  This is such a great place but the border, quarantine and lack of snow really has to be destroying them.  Hoping the grinch storm delivers up here.

7804A1B6-F386-4C17-A3CD-58090ABC2004.jpeg

B7E5D6D7-BF1F-40C5-86C4-E28FD6D57865.jpeg

A508A954-29E5-49F4-986B-AD76C6BFF7D7.jpeg

• Like 2