Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

8 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

Latest guidance has me questioning where to head for some human powered laps Saturday morning...anyone here ever skin Brodie? 

I work about 10 mins from Brodie, it looks very skiable right now but I’m not sure of access.  I’ve heard it is on private property and they may not allow access.  

12 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Looks tasty. Your handiwork or au naturel?

All natural, just how it grows with that exposure.

My handiwork has not translated well (i.e., narrow chutes down multiple large ice falls that can only be skied a couple days a year). Guess I just don't have the eye for it. The guy behind the camera in these is the master at it. Probably done 10-12 areas at Magic and they are all fun and unique. The lower 200' of one some of use made is pretty sweet though, just gets loaded at the bases of these ledges because of a main trail 100' below it. (I clearly need to stop landing in the backseat) 

No photo description available.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

My handiwork has not translated well (i.e., narrow chutes down multiple large ice falls that can only be skied a couple days a year). Guess I just don't have the eye for it. The guy behind the camera in these is the master at it. Probably done 10-12 areas at Magic and they are all fun and unique. The lower 200' of one some of use made is pretty sweet though, just gets loaded at the bases of these ledges because of a main trail 100' below it. (I clearly need to stop landing in the backseat) 

Hmmmm....looks like it might be between Goniff and Red line!

You have been to the volunteer days?

Nice shot!

4 minutes ago, zeepowderhunter said:

Hmmmm....looks like it might be between Goniff and Red line!

You have been to the volunteer days?

Nice shot!

Hahaha. Not "The G-Spot",  the other side of Red. G-Spot has been sneaky good the past couple years, almost like it was forgotten about. 

Been to many volunteer days, always a good time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I've definitely seen shots of that line before (or similar ones like it). Need to get up to Magic more. Only ever been once, actually at the onset of Nemo in 2013. Basically no snow on the ground but the vibe was right! From what I hear that part is unchanged

5 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Hahaha. Not "The G-Spot",  the other side of Red. G-Spot has been sneaky good the past couple years, almost like it was forgotten about. 

Been to many volunteer days, always a good time. 

Ahhh gotcha!

I have only been able to reap the benefits of volunteer days. They have helped the mountain out a ton.  I need to help out sometime.  Can’t wait to get up there this season. 

20 minutes ago, zeepowderhunter said:

Ahhh gotcha!

I have only been able to reap the benefits of volunteer days. They have helped the mountain out a ton.  I need to help out sometime.  Can’t wait to get up there this season. 

This year they really cleaned out the Hollows. Previous years it was creating "Voodoo." Some volunteer days they basically made entire new areas that, luckily, still are not on the map - I believe "Narnia" was a volunteer glade but could be mistaken. Since the east side is one massive glade now the west side needs some love. Only 5/6 real unmarked areas there that are named. 

26 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

This year they really cleaned out the Hollows. Previous years it was creating "Voodoo." Some volunteer days they basically made entire new areas that, luckily, still are not on the map - I believe "Narnia" was a volunteer glade but could be mistaken. Since the east side is one massive glade now the west side needs some love. Only 5/6 real unmarked areas there that are named. 

Well that’s great to hear about the Hallows. Yeah there were definitely some “things” lurking beneath in there. Place is so great, happy it’s in good hands now. Have a great season!  I have dreams on ripping down green line during the big March storm a few years back. Full white out, felt like I was out west again. Praying for more of that sometime soon. 

• Like 1

I assume that's a report you are receiving from friends, reading on a ski board or from personal observation. I was reading somewhere else this morning someone's excitement and was chuckling to my myself and hoping the poster had 1) very fat boards so they would float on the top or 2) planned to ski the fall line 'softly.' Otherwise, there was going to be a lot of damage. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Yeah Thunderbolt was my original plan but have to figure somewhere north will be better. Ascutney or Cardigan will probably be good?

MTB trails at the old ski area in Northfield, NH might not be a bad bet. 

Unsure what their uphill policy is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Angus said:

I assume that's a report you are receiving from friends, reading on a ski board or from personal observation. I was reading somewhere else this morning someone's excitement and was chuckling to my myself and hoping the poster had 1) very fat boards so they would float on the top or 2) planned to ski the fall line 'softly.' Otherwise, there was going to be a lot of damage. 

Yea multiple reports from the Berks. My "fats" are 115 and the lowest I can surf on is about 8-10" of heavy wet on bare ground, not super steep, and with some minor bottoming. I wouldn't even attempt 15" of blower on bare ground. Good way to end your season early or destroy them. 

10 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Yeah Thunderbolt was my original plan but have to figure somewhere north will be better. Ascutney or Cardigan will probably be good?

Crotched has a great uphill policy - or at least they used to. West Ledges probably are not ready but the stuff past Jupiter's and some of the old east trails are probably G2G. Easy skin up too. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Angus said:

Cardigan is not far from where @dendrite is reporting. @wxeyeNH lives just east (15-20 miles??) of Cardigan. Just went to the AMC's Cardigan Lodge and they are closed and appear to be reporting nothing. Ragged is due south by 15-20?? and still snowing there heavily https://raggedmountainresort.com/Mountain-Cam/ 

Ragged has a weird uphill policy if I remember correctly. Like 8:30am-2:30pm.

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Yea multiple reports from the Berks. My "fats" are 115 and the lowest I can surf on is about 8-10" of heavy wet on bare ground, not super steep, and with some minor bottoming. I wouldn't even attempt 15" of blower on bare ground. Good way to end your season early or destroy them. 

Wasn't really blower.  15-20+ at the Beast and every trail more or less fine.   We skied UMass, Grizzly, Jug, Liftline with nothing underneath with only very light damage.  I'm on 111 underfoot.  Granted, we weren't throwing weight into big turns... skinny down the fall line, keep em floating.  By noon it was skiing in well across the hill and we could be set up going forward. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radarman said:

Wasn't really blower.  15-20+ at the Beast and every trail more or less fine.   We skied UMass, Grizzly, Jug, Liftline with nothing underneath with only very light damage.  I'm on 111 underfoot.  Granted, we weren't throwing weight into big turns... skinny down the fall line, keep em floating.  By noon it was skiing in well across the hill and we could be set up going forward. 

Oh that is fantastic to hear. Was bummed to see those reports from Greylock area. Might have to give it a go ASAP.

10 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Oh that is fantastic to hear. Was bummed to see those reports from Greylock area. Might have to give it a go ASAP.

Catamount powder day tomorrow.  We were skinning by 7 and I haven't had a chance to check how they even did down there.   But it'll probably be good I presume.  Heck, even the beast will be good again with the human groomin.  Reports of 30+ in the S Greens are tempting, if you don't mind running the gauntlet... we'll likely stay local.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, radarman said:

No snow days for my district this year.  Covid can go &*$%^$ itself.  I have the day off tomorrow.  Will there be any thing left for me at berkshire east?  Woods? I'm also on 110 waisted skis. 

46 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

No snow days for my district this year.  Covid can go &*$%^$ itself.  I have the day off tomorrow.  Will there be any thing left for me at berkshire east?  Woods? I'm also on 110 waisted skis. 

I didn't see anyone venture into the woods today, but I was gone by 1230.  Maybe some late arriving powder hounds might have been lured in, but it was a bridge too far for me personally.... plus we'd had plenty of untracked already.  So it'll be powdery in there, but I'd be pretty careful.  On trail I think you'd get powder on Hemlock, but you may have to hike it out.  That whole side was closed and I didn't see any tracks in that direction. 

My guess is they'll definitely groom Big Chief and lower Comp, maybe War Dance, and *possibly* even Flying Cloud??  And there will be some nice cord early on.   But if you want pow head to Catamount or run the gauntlet up north.