Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Just now, MarkO said:

Will VT allow folks from other states to even buy lift tickets? That's really the only way I could see them having any control of out of state skiers if they want to enforce it. I agree ski areas will be open, certainly in NH where I see no way a former ski resort owner is current governor. NH was also the last to shut down last winter. Live Free or Die, lol

Non-Vermonters are allowed into VT if they quarantine.  same as other states.  Currently if you live in CT you can go to NY or NJ and return to CT without quarantine.  If you go to/return to CT from anywhere else you have to quarantine in CT for 2 weeks.  So anyone from CT wanting to ski without a quarantine should be go to NY.  But if you quarantine and the mountain is open you can ski anywhere.  How can they refuse you to use your season pass if you are in their state legally after a quarantine?

Just now, Skivt2 said:

Non-Vermonters are allowed into VT if they quarantine.  same as other states.  Currently if you live in CT you can go to NY or NJ and return to CT without quarantine.  If you go to/return to CT from anywhere else you have to quarantine in CT for 2 weeks.  So anyone from CT wanting to ski without a quarantine should be go to NY.  But if you quarantine and the mountain is open you can ski anywhere.  How can they refuse you to use your season pass if you are in their state legally after a quarantine?

There is little chance many of the out of state season pass holders are going to honor the VT quarantine rules.  

As an Epic passholder, I will abide by the VT restrictions - my intention was to ski the VT areas Mon-Thurs when volumes were low on a day trip from metrowest boston basis. But I hate rules and laws that are just made to broken and this is an example, it provides a rationalization for breaking other laws and rules IMO. 

• Like 2

I will be going skiing in NH this year , as usual 

Could care less what state license plates I  see in parking lot , I’m not hugging folks on the trails And I would believe nobody is skiing with a fever and even if they did ,  i won’t  be around them either way . 

Hope I see every state represented in parking lot over the season and lots of folks can enjoy it . Most could use the exercise and fresh air .

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is little chance many of the out of state season pass holders are going to honor the VT quarantine rules.  

I don’t know that to be the case.  Im sure some will flout the rules as with anything else but I’m planning on following the quarantine guidelines as is my family coming from nys.  I’ll stay in vt for weeks or months at a time.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That’s completely unfair to judge that.  I am currently on day 15 quarantining waiting for word of Killington opening.  I have an apartment in VT.  I will leave VT on  11/30 and return 12/14 fully quarantined once again. In fact I must quarantine according to the state of CT since VT is now on the CT list where CT residents must quarantine  upon returning  from VT since it is now a hot spot.  We Get everything delivered.  I have not been in a grocery store since early March.  Just sunday our microwave broke.  We did not drive to Walmart to get a new one.  Nope.  The new one will be delivered via UPS tomorrow. I work from home and my husband is also working from home.  We have no kids. The last time we left our property was 11/3 to vote. We wore N-95 masks when we voted.  We plan to stay in Vermont until at least 1/25. And I hope to ski every day at least a few runs at lunch.  I live trail side in Vermont so parking reservations are a non-event for me. I know I am not the only one.

We have basically reduced every unnecessary (to us) risk to zero.  But we spend the summer fishing and gong to the beach on cape cod and we will spend the winter skiing in VT.  F the virus. I’m not getting it and I’m not stopping doing what I love just because of it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarkO said:

Will VT allow folks from other states to even buy lift tickets? That's really the only way I could see them having any control of out of state skiers if they want to enforce it. I agree ski areas will be open, certainly in NH where I see no way a former ski resort owner is current governor. NH was also the last to shut down last winter. Live Free or Die, lol

I think it can get pretty blurry pretty fast who lives where.  A lot of people, myself included, have all the required documentation to prove VT residency to DMV.  This whole thing could become cat vs mouse pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

I think it can get pretty blurry pretty fast who lives where.  A lot of people, myself included, have all the required documentation to prove VT residency to DMV.  This whole thing could become cat vs mouse pretty quickly.

If anyone in VT will try to enforce these regs and ask you for documentation/harass people with out of state plates it will be those county mounties that camp out around Plymouth. I am always driving at or below speed limit that whole stretch up to K/Pico. I was going 2-3 mph under one day and was pulled over. Cop never said why he stopped me, ran all my info, gave it all back to me and just walked away without saying anything. I still have no idea why I was stopped. 

https://www.vpr.org/post/welcome-plymouth-home-vermonts-most-lucrative-speed-enforcement#stream/0

edit: K has the North Ridge Quad running this morning. Going to be close.

4 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

If anyone in VT will try to enforce these regs and ask you for documentation/harass people with out of state plates it will be those county mounties that camp out around Plymouth. I am always driving at or below speed limit that whole stretch up to K/Pico. I was going 2-3 mph under one day and was pulled over. Cop never said why he stopped me, ran all my info, gave it all back to me and just walked away without saying anything. I still have no idea why I was stopped. 

https://www.vpr.org/post/welcome-plymouth-home-vermonts-most-lucrative-speed-enforcement#stream/0

edit: K has the North Ridge Quad running this morning. Going to be close.

Ha several people at Stowe that also go to Okemo for regional work have been stopped there for barely going over 30mph.  There was even an email last year warning people traveling for business to Okemo on RT 100 that you will be stopped in Plymouth for next to nothing so be on your game.

They average almost 7 traffic tickets a day in a town with 600 people in it... it’s a pure bilking of ski resort visitors.

• Population: 619
  • Tickets issued: 2,352+
  • Total issued in traffic ticket fines: $415,620+
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, radarman said:

West Bridgewater isn't much better if coming in from the other way.  There isn't a skiing Masshole alive who can't attest.  

Ha! confirm. 42 in a 35 about 4 years ago. He was about 200' after the transition from 50 to 35mph. Looked just like Rod Farva but in his late 50s.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha several people at Stowe that also go to Okemo for regional work have been stopped there for barely going over 30mph.  There was even an email last year warning people traveling for business to Okemo on RT 100 that you will be stopped in Plymouth for next to nothing so be on your game.

They average almost 7 traffic tickets a day in a town with 600 people in it... it’s a pure bilking of ski resort visitors.

• Population: 619
  • Tickets issued: 2,352+
  • Total issued in traffic ticket fines: $415,620+

Ha. We go through there twice a weekend 8 months a year with out of state plates.  Have never gotten pulled over but we are super careful not to speed.  We do sort of have a little fun with it.  As we get to the spot we slow down.  A lot of times some asshat tourist with no idea why we are slowing down will get really irritated and tailgate. So we put the blinker on and pull to the side to let them pass.  Many times we have found then a few miles down the road introducing themselves to Plymouth’s finest.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Ha. We go through there twice a weekend 8 months a year with out of state plates.  Have never gotten pulled over but we are super careful not to speed.  We do sort of have a little fun with it.  As we get to the spot we slow down.  A lot of times some asshat tourist with no idea why we are slowing down will get really irritated and tailgate. So we put the blinker on and pull to the side to let them pass.  Many times we have found then a few miles down the road introducing themselves to Plymouth’s finest.

I found this an interesting read on the sheriff's of VT: https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/sheriff-inc/Content?oid=20070627

• Thanks 2