Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Wow, that’s interesting. I had no clue that was there. 

Dude you have so much recreation nearby, I’d be hiking around that neighborhood to the peaks behind ya daily.  I wouldn’t get anything done for a good two months after moving there lol.  That ice gulch and the overlook look awesome.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Dude you have so much recreation nearby, I’d be hiking around that neighborhood to the peaks behind ya daily.  I wouldn’t get anything done for a good two months after moving there lol.  That ice gulch and the overlook look awesome.

Oh yeah I have been out and about. Lots of stuff to do with the house, hoping that winds down soon so I can enjoy that recreation more. Ice gulch is a really neat hike. We did that back in June. 

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

Oh yeah I have been out and about. Lots of stuff to do with the house, hoping that winds down soon so I can enjoy that recreation more. Ice gulch is a really neat hike. We did that back in June. 

Sweet yeah truly a special neighborhood.  So much stuff at the top of that Hill Road on the map.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like nobody will be skiing then :lol:. Runny nose. Holy Christ 

50 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Shit glad I am on the sidelines, my nose runs in the cold while skiing, frozen snot count?

I lol'd but no doubt none of this will occur.  Probably 50% chance resorts are closed altogether and if they're open I bet it won't be much different than normal, apres ski aside.  

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Well that's the plan sure, but you don't have to go back very far to see how fast public sentiment can turn and decisions be taken out of their hands.

I booked a trip for a few days right before Christmas to north conway and hope to ski cranmore a few days. I spent a bit of extra money to be able to cancel right up until the day before.

You never know these days 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 5:30 PM, PowderBeard said:

Mother of God it's beautiful. Love the "bumps" or texture on things like Quacky 1-4, Lift Line. Definitely put some heavy detail on the stuff out past Paradise. Same around "Cantalope". 

I got him to sign a copy of his book last year at the Expo... love his work

Might have to ask for one for Christmas. I love how he incorporates the terrain so "pods" stick out like at Pico or Sugarbush.  One of my favorite maps was the early 2000s Stowe map, then they had to go name everything Upper/Middle/Lower (no disrespect PF, I get why) and cluttered it up.  At least there is no "Starr Headwall."

• Like 1

Southwest recently announced that they're flying to Montrose CO now, which opens up a lot of options, esp Telluride.  I have a zillion SWA miles but so many of those places were unreachable from DEN.  Plus bags and skis fly free. 

Granted, El Nino would be preferred in the C Rockies...

• Like 1

speaking with a MRG shareholder this morning and we both agreed the map is outstanding. We skied Telluride a few years back -2014 - nice mountain. I have only skied there and wolf creek in CO. We drove from Albuquerque after it stopped snowing at Taos in January that year. Stay in the town. You need to do some research ahead of time to know where to ski - some of the difficult fun terrain is obvious, other areas not so much. The Telluride airport is crazy. My son and eye drove down on way out of town to check it out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Might have to ask for one for Christmas. I love how he incorporates the terrain so "pods" stick out like at Pico or Sugarbush.  One of my favorite maps was the early 2000s Stowe map, then they had to go name everything Upper/Middle/Lower (no disrespect PF, I get why) and cluttered it up.  At least there is no "Starr Headwall."

Ha, none taken.  I actually did that, literally.  Stowe used to have the “Great 48” and it was only 48 trails, top-to-bottom.  One of the very first tasks I had when I started in 2008 was to change the trail map to more accurately represent the mountain in terms of open terrain, and increase our trail count for marketing (Bolton Valley had like 60 trails I think?  Stowe was the smallest mountain in Vermont per trail count with only 48, lol).

Aside from marketing, a big issue was if you ski here, you’d know we really had “48 partially open trails.”  There'd be times when literally almost every trail was “partially open” which confused the hell out of people...because only in mid-season snowpack with good conditions would many of the trails be fully open top-to-bottom.

Now Ski Patrol had them internally sort of hacked up into different trails anyway in their lingo, because you have to when describing stuff over the radio (like they already named things upper/lower etc).  An injured skier would call and the nearest trail sign says Lord and I have a broken leg.  Well that’s a couple miles and 2,000 vertical feet of possibilities.  Now they say the nearest sign says “Lower Lord” so patrol can quickly know where they are.

So I worked with the Patrol director and others to break up the trails into how the mountain skied, what our normal closures are, access points to trails, etc.  So now Starr and Lower Starr can be marked on the report as open, and Upper Starr (steep rocky headwall) can be marked as closed.  I do think that’s better for communicating rather than saying “Starr is partially open.”  Sometimes only Lower Starr is open from Shiftrs Shot, too.  So you’d see Starr is partially open before 2008 on the report but have no idea what “part” was actually open.

Marketing got a great trail count boost and it’s much more functional for figuring out what’s actually open and serves as easier to communicate with ski patrol and the public. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Southwest recently announced that they're flying to Montrose CO now, which opens up a lot of options, esp Telluride.  I have a zillion SWA miles but so many of those places were unreachable from DEN.  Plus bags and skis fly free. 

Granted, El Nino would be preferred in the C Rockies...

I flew into Montrose back in Jan 2016 when I did Telluride. Small airport but it was super easy getting your stuff and getting out of there. I remember one of the old posters on the now-defunct epicski forum had snowfall totals by year for each resort and there was surprisingly less reliance on El Niño in Telluride than I would have first thought. I expected it to be more like AZ Snowbowl or Taos. 

El Niño is def best there but they have gotten smoked in many La Ninas too...they got destroyed in ‘07-‘08 and did very well in ‘08-‘09 and ‘16-‘17. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, none taken.  I actually did that, literally.  Stowe used to have the “Great 48” and it was only 48 trails, top-to-bottom.  One of the very first tasks I had when I started in 2008 was to change the trail map to more accurately represent the mountain in terms of open terrain, and increase our trail count for marketing (Bolton Valley had like 60 trails I think?  Stowe was the smallest mountain in Vermont per trail count with only 48, lol).

Aside from marketing, a big issue was if you ski here, you’d know we really had “48 partially open trails.”  There'd be times when literally almost every trail was “partially open” which confused the hell out of people...because only in mid-season snowpack with good conditions would many of the trails be fully open top-to-bottom.

Now Ski Patrol had them internally sort of hacked up into different trails anyway in their lingo, because you have to when describing stuff over the radio (like they already named things upper/lower etc).  An injured skier would call and the nearest trail sign says Lord and I have a broken leg.  Well that’s a couple miles and 2,000 vertical feet of possibilities.  Now they say the nearest sign says “Lower Lord” so patrol can quickly know where they are.

So I worked with the Patrol director and others to break up the trails into how the mountain skied, what our normal closures are, access points to trails, etc.  So now Starr and Lower Starr can be marked on the report as open, and Upper Starr (steep rocky headwall) can be marked as closed.  I do think that’s better for communicating rather than saying “Starr is partially open.”  Sometimes only Lower Starr is open from Shiftrs Shot, too.  So you’d see Starr is partially open before 2008 on the report but have no idea what “part” was actually open.

Marketing got a great trail count boost and it’s much more functional for figuring out what’s actually open and serves as easier to communicate with ski patrol and the public. 

Tough task. But absolutely, it all made perfect sense. 

2 hours ago, Angus said:

heard today that WaWa is now sold out. 

2 hours ago, Angus said:

heard today that WaWa is now sold out. 

Seniors can still get some passes through a GPS group. They are also still working on a plan for school groups.

I wonder if they release some more passes after this weekend.  Typically they increase the pass prices by $100 after Columbus Day weekend, so all of the passes they have sold so far are discounted anyway.

Single day skiers will have to book a 4 hour window. Not sure if prices will reflect that... can't fathom paying $60+ to ski 4 hours on that lil bump

I did manage to get 19 people into my GPS group thankfully

17 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Tough task. But absolutely, it all made perfect sense. 

Yeah aesthetically I still love the Great 48 concept, but functionally for Mountain Ops and how the mountain is skied/opened/closed/groomed/snowmaking it makes sense to break it up into segments instead of 2,000+ vertical feet, 1-2 mile long trails with a lot of variability that ski like different segments anyway (I will say it's rare to ski a trail fully from top-to-bottom too, it's more hopping from segment to segment).  Grooming often can be only certain parts of trails too, so you get a bunch of partially groomed runs.  Snowmaking is easier to communicate even to staff when its broken up into segments too.  But the "Stowe Great 48" is now classic ski memorabilia... maps, posters, t-shirts, etc.  I love that stuff.

Seems KMart will require reservations to park

My big question is what do they do about the county by county travel restrictions. If they were open today, there are so few counties outside of VT where you could “legally” travel from and ski without quarantino. How strict will they be? How about for season pass holders. I haven’t been able find this mentioned in any of the VT ski areas websites? Anyone hear anything?