• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Bought my NE Epic pass last nite so I will be skiing a lot of Wildcat if everything goes according to plan and maybe the VT resorts midweek to avoid crowds.

When the snow is right, Sugarloaf is the best resort in the NE. Note: I've not skied two places that could competed - Jay and Whiteface. As I've documented here, I dismissed the Burnt Mtn/Bracket Basin tree skiing thing as a marketing strategy and not an actual product but skiing there two seasons ago in mid -April was a revelation.

With that said, the terrain and exposure make Sugarloaf and Wildcat pretty boney when nature is not cooperating.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Angus said:

With that said, the terrain and exposure make Sugarloaf and Wildcat pretty boney when nature is not cooperating.

Yup,  and Wildcat can get 20"+ but the wind will load and scour it so it seems like a regular day on some trails. I loved Bracket but some of my favorite trees at SL are still the small areas just south of the Spillway X-Cut. Steep and the snow just gets piled in there. 

• Like 1

More news from Saddleback

Saddleback is very pleased to be able to announce that we are lowering the prices for the following season pass categories in response to the long conversations we have had with some of you affected by current circumstances.

From now through Thanksgiving, the Junior and College Passes will now be only $324.00 (down from 449.00) and the Casablanca Pass will now be $399.00 (down from $599.00).
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Angus said:

More news from Saddleback

Saddleback is very pleased to be able to announce that we are lowering the prices for the following season pass categories in response to the long conversations we have had with some of you affected by current circumstances.

From now through Thanksgiving, the Junior and College Passes will now be only $324.00 (down from 449.00) and the Casablanca Pass will now be $399.00 (down from $599.00).

DAMN

32 minutes ago, Fozz said:

It will be hard for the mountains of VT and Maine to get a whole lot of skiers if those states keep their COVID travel restrictions in place. NH seems more lenient. Of course, we can only guess what the situation will look like in the winter.

I think it'll be a big mistake if they don't loosen up restrictions. The feared transmission from urban southern New England states to rural northern NE counties never materialized. Skiing is probably one of the safest activities I can think of.

34 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I think it'll be a big mistake if they don't loosen up restrictions. The feared transmission from urban southern New England states to rural northern NE counties never materialized. Skiing is probably one of the safest activities I can think of.

You're not doing it right... :ski:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, MarkO said:

People have been coming all summer without following the guidance, not sure why it would change this winter to be honest.  Weekends have been jamming around here.

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

-You're not doing it right... s:ski:

Touche! I've broken collar bone and humerus, dislocated shoulder (twice), sprained knee and thumbs, been impaled in the arse by a fallen tree. Lost unknown toe nails due to oversized boots, bruised ribs and probably dealt with minor frostbite, frostnip on countless occasions. But the scariest of them all was falling into a tree hole at Stowe that took me over 1/2 hour to get out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

People have been coming all summer without following the guidance, not sure why it would change this winter to be honest.  Weekends have been jamming around here.

Didn’t hotels get the go ahead to rent 100% of their room and bar seating can start up again, with space between seats?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

You're not doing it right... :ski:

LOL. We drove 3 hours each way for a day trip up to MRG. I clipped a small tree on the bobsled track heading out to the 19th hole and sprained my knee, went in pounded some Sip-O-Sunshines, then decided to poke around some rabbit holes around Paradise but not way out to Octopus Garden or the 3 Cliffs. Watching the GoPro video from my helmet later I didn't realize at the time I was singing and skiing to the Cha-Cha Slide. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, MarkO said:

I've seen traffic on 93 back to almost pre-Covid levels the past few weekends.

I stated this in the spring and got flamed for saying it, but the reason why summer traffic in NNE has been as high if not higher than normal (it was in the Lakes Region where I spend a lot of time) yet there has been been no "spike" is because the people who ski/boat/hike in NNE are those in our region who are at lowest risk of infection.

They are:

-Whiter

-Wealthier

-More likely to work from home

-More likely to follow public health guidance 

Most skiers at Stowe aren't from Chelsea, MA or Brownsville, Brooklyn even if they share the same county. More likely to be from the Back Bay or Brooklyn Heights. 

I don't mean it callously-I wish the social and medical inequities in this country were not so apparent... But it's the reality of what's going on in our country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bch2014 said:

I stated this in the spring and got flamed for saying it, but the reason why summer traffic in NNE has been as high if not higher than normal (it was in the Lakes Region where I spend a lot of time) yet there has been been no "spike" is because the people who ski/boat/hike in NNE are those in our region who are at lowest risk of infection.

They are:

-Whiter

-Wealthier

Most skiers at Stowe aren't from Chelsea, MA or Brownsville, Brooklyn even if they share the same county. More likely to be from the Back Bay or Brooklyn Heights. 

I don't mean it callously-I wish the social and medical inequities in this country were not so apparent... But it's the reality of what's going on in our country.

Agree for the most part, but I also saw what I perceived to be new comers and minorities possibly discovering hiking and not knowing about take out what you take in and don't leave a trace. The Hike the 48 4000'er FB page was full of Karens' comments.

4 hours ago, bch2014 said:

They are:

-Whiter

-Wealthier

I do agree and, as you said, our society is full of inequity which results in these things.  It’s one reason why it is so hard to deal with the VT quarantine as a rule following CT resident.  I live in east granby near the notch in the top of CT.  We have had so few cases and I work from home, avoid people, and wear a mask in places it seems prudent like getting gas.  But my county has Hartford, East Hartford, Manchester, Bloomfield and they have lots of cases.  I feel like I’m shut out unnecessarily.  I miss my VT home.  I have not been there since late May.   The worst part is that I see people in VT say how smart the rules are in VT.  But people like me could go there safely both because we don’t come in contact with the virus in CT and more importantly because we are responsible people.  

CA36D4C9-6A45-493A-B00A-54FF5C70BBB7.png

7160A4C6-5E90-4AE9-9BA1-174BCEE28039.png

• Like 1

There also wasn’t a lot of spread because most summer activities aren’t conductive for spreading the virus. Esp when places like bars and restaurants aren’t open or have restrictions. 

There’s very little spread in outdoor environments. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 12:52 AM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is no other mountain like it in the NE when there is a good base.  
In my humble opinion, best NE ski areas in order are:
Sugarloaf 

Stowe

Killington

Wildcat

Sunday River

lots of runners up though...

wow pretty much my opinion but K mart ain't for me I would throw in Berkshire East as that is a mini Sunday River for ski experience