• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

One reason for optimism or a preview of how the ski season could go is a look at how a Australian ski resort is doing (owned by Vail Resorts)..granted the numbers in Australia are pedestrian and about equal to Massachusetts lately 

https://www.parkrecord.com/news/a-vail-resorts-mountain-in-australia-could-offer-preview-of-socially-distanced-park-city-ski-season/

Chile and Argentina on the other hand are getting dumped on and many not open, thou some are for locals , as Covid numbers are much higher . I would imagine many NY state residents and Mass residents may see restrictions   At NNE mountains , especially if they are from counties w higher numbers .

https://www.powderhounds.com/SouthAmerica/2020-Season-News.aspx

37 minutes ago, radarman said:

Hell the science says that porous, stretchy fabrics (common to gaiters) actually increase transmission.  And most actual ski masks literally have holes.

I also disagree that most wear them.  Maybe on the coldest days but not on the majority of days.  Imagine skinning with a mask?  LOL

I never wear a mask. I am always blazing hot when skiing. I am the guy with the jacket half unzipped when it's single digits.

3 hours ago, alex said:

We’ve had more seasonal rentals requests this year than ever before. It’s crazy. 

I believe People want a peaceful rural escape and many are willing to take the chance wether sking is open or not if they can work from home. I would call it “Stress management” and it’s in huge demand . People can only down booze for so long as a strategy lol. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would say everything is on the table . There are zero certainties this winter. 

As a resort , which ones does it make financial sense for to shut down lodges, hotels / condos and leave the lifts spinning..are their any? I could see that coming when people are sneezing in every long line indoors this winter .

The ones like Cannon and Wildcat probably see the most money as a percentage of total operations from their season pass holders as they don’t have much else going on besides selling beers and burgers . Thou if they aren’t owned by the big wigs they may not Have the $$ Cushion to handle a down year . Powder freak , any thoughts .

Yeah, I'm probably going full in on the Berkshire East/Catamount/Bosquet unlimited pass tomorrow.  It's a great price and I'm pretty sure the Schaefer family will ensure things stay open unless it is absolute armageddon.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I believe People want a peaceful rural escape and many are willing to take the chance wether sking is open or not if they can work from home. I would call it “Stress management” and it’s in huge demand . People can only down booze for so long as a strategy lol. 

When I'm in Randolph, it's very easy to forget almost entirely about COVID, protests, riots, and politics. It isn't until I return to MD just outside Baltimore that all that stuff comes rushing back to the forefront. We are rapidly heading towards making Randolph the primary residence for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

When I'm in Randolph, it's very easy to forget almost entirely about COVID, protests, riots, and politics. It isn't until I return to MD just outside Baltimore that all that stuff comes rushing back to the forefront. We are rapidly heading towards making Randolph the primary residence for the foreseeable future.

It’s ironic for us because our 2k sq ft house in CT is in a very rural area in the woods on a dead end with no neighbor behind us for maybe a quarter mile or more.  In VT our 520 sq ft apartment is in a four story concrete building with common hallways and an elevator. We are about 100 steps from the lift at the base of the ski area.  It’s so much harder to avoid people in VT. No question our house in CT is safer and more comfy.  

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It is very easy to forget the rest of the world up here.  If you disconnect and just enjoy living, you can really forget everything.  That’s why every time I drive past people getting served food in the Piecasso parking lot, I’m like ok there’s my reminder that stuff is not completely all right.  But it’s very easy to live a sheltered life if you chose to up here.  The most I hear from the media are in CPicks posts, ha.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is very easy to forget the rest of the world up here.  If you disconnect and just enjoy living, you can really forget everything.  That’s why every time I drive past people getting served food in the Piecasso parking lot, I’m like ok there’s my reminder that stuff is not completely all right.  But it’s very easy to live a sheltered life if you chose to up here.  The most I hear from the media are in CPicks posts, ha.

On the Killington locals page they are talking about the outbreak they think they may have there.  One person said that they have hear local people there say many times, “We don’t need to wear masks, we are all locals”.  They think they are an island.

31 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

On the Killington locals page they are talking about the outbreak they think they may have there.  One person said that they have hear local people there say many times, “We don’t need to wear masks, we are all locals”.  They think they are an island.

Why do you subject yourself to worrying about what people are saying on social media? It's toxic there. I would pay it exactly zero mind.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

Everyone here has been wearing masks and I can say the on-trail hiking mask usage is near 100% when passing people (even I think some of the mask usage on trail is a bit much, but at the same time I think it's just a mutual respect people are showing towards each other, which I'm all for). 

I still wouldn't judge your Killington home area based on social media posts from that site.  It's funny that in the last couple weeks I've actually heard the Killington Locals+ forum or whatever mentioned by several people recently as a toxic place where a few folks continue to try to push this "us vs. them" mentality.  I bet by far the vast majority of locals down there are fine with masks, are extremely respectful and also don't hate everyone.  It just seems like drama whenever that place gets mentioned.

All faith in humanity has been lost recently on social media, ha.  The bullies and trolls have been formally released into the wild now. 

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Why do you subject yourself to worrying about what people are saying on social media? It's toxic there. I would pay it exactly zero mind.

It’s a source of both community information and sometimes community BS.  Have any of you heard about the Killington outbreak?  Probably not.  It’s being called “Rutland county” outbreak if you hear any news at all.  I know It’s an outbreak at Killington caused by a 50th birthday party with locals, regulars (like me usually) and possibly employees because I am staying in touch with what is going on in the community by reading the community FB pages.  I read the ones for my town in CT and my town on the Cape as well.  Those pages are full of helpful community information such as fund raising events, tag sales, town meeting issues, discussions about town ordinances and budgets,  etc etc. You can’t tell me none of you read your community pages for these things.  The comment about locals and masks was in a comment about the Virus outbreak.  Honestly, as a person with a residence in the town, news about a potential virus outbreak in town seems like relevant news that I need to stay on top of, no?  The politics and culture of a town are often reflected on their community pages.  The fact that the culture there, in a community I belong to, has become somewhat toxic at times, in and of itself honestly seems relevant as “community news”.  I mean you just moved to Randolph, NH.  So I’m sure understanding the pulse of the community there is important to you.  We made a 7 year plan 4.5 years ago to move permanently to the Killington area and we are still in transition.  Knowing what is going on there seems relevant to me.  Our plan has us selling in CT and buying in VT in the spring of 2023.  

5 hours ago, PhineasC said:

K sounds pretty rough too, damn. I'd want to get away from there. There are so many other places that have little drama and are all about loving being on the mountain or outside.. My home mountain has nothing of the sort in terms of toxicity, and its almost closed multiple times or had little/no snowmaking or running lifts in previous years lol

1 hour ago, Skivt2 said:

It’s a source of both community information and sometimes community BS.  Have any of you heard about the Killington outbreak?  Probably not.  It’s being called “Rutland county” outbreak if you hear any news at all.  I know It’s an outbreak at Killington caused by a 50th birthday party with locals, regulars (like me usually) and possibly employees because I am staying in touch with what is going on in the community by reading the community FB pages.  I read the ones for my town in CT and my town on the Cape as well.  Those pages are full of helpful community information such as fund raising events, tag sales, town meeting issues, discussions about town ordinances and budgets,  etc etc. You can’t tell me none of you read your community pages for these things.  The comment about locals and masks was in a comment about the Virus outbreak.  Honestly, as a person with a residence in the town, news about a potential virus outbreak in town seems like relevant news that I need to stay on top of, no?  The politics and culture of a town are often reflected on their community pages.  The fact that the culture there, in a community I belong to, has become somewhat toxic at times, in and of itself honestly seems relevant as “community news”.  I mean you just moved to Randolph, NH.  So I’m sure understanding the pulse of the community there is important to you.  We made a 7 year plan 4.5 years ago to move permanently to the Killington area and we are still in transition.  Knowing what is going on there seems relevant to me.  Our plan has us selling in CT and buying in VT in the spring of 2023.  

It sounds like you are a lot more engaged with local gossip and happenings than I am. I have three houses in different states, and I can't recall ever caring what the locals were yapping about online. I just pull in my driveway, go in my house, and go about my business. Never had an issue. Maybe the grannies are peering through the blinds at me and making posts on Facebook about it; I wouldn't know. I did have one neighbor in DE send me some BS text in March about how me coming down there would be "a huge risk given the health situation." LOL it wasn't a big deal, dude is always a bit of a butthead and we followed the state lockdown orders anyway.

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Hiked KMart today and mask usage on trail might have been 10%.  

And really that was 10% higher than it needed to be.

That's nuts.  Even the trail runners decked out with water-bottle vests have had masks on up here even on the work roads where you have plenty of space.  Overkill to me, but they probably think I'm the inconsiderate one if I don't mask up when 10+ feet away in quick passing outdoors.  I do think it's a nice "team humanity" gesture if you are on a close tight trail with thick high elevation vegetation allowing for a close pass, even outside.  Not necessary in my opinion still, but a nice nod to humanity.  Most hikers seem to be extremely respectful at the least.

Think I’m going to bite the bullet and get a Gore /Whiteface/ Bellayre pass this week. I like how they are working towards carbon neutral and staying in state seems like the safest bet. Now hopefully it will be a rare blockbuster ADK winter.... you know.... like we used to have in the good old days. When there is good snow, Gore and Whiteface are fantastic mountains. $399 for my niece and $759 for me, unlimited at all 3 mountains with 1 free guest ticket, 1 50% off guest ticket, free XC skiing and fall foliage rides. Not to shabby.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Think I’m going to bite the bullet and get a Gore /Whiteface/ Bellayre pass this week. I like how they are working towards carbon neutral and staying in state seems like the safest bet. Now hopefully it will be a rare blockbuster ADK winter.... you know.... like we used to have in the good old days. When there is good snow, Gore and Whiteface are fantastic mountains. $399 for my niece and $759 for me, unlimited at all 3 mountains with 1 free guest ticket, 1 50% off guest ticket, free XC skiing and fall foliage rides. Not to shabby.

I love that plan.  My first season passes were to Gore/Whiteface with the ORDA pass back in High School... I washed dishes for two years in high school at Alteri's Restaurant, coming home smelling like red sauce and pasta to pay for it. Those years were simple.  Gore's a very underrated spot.  Whiteface was scary steep at the top as a kid, but Gore's got some pitches too.  I broke my wrist as a 10-year-old on the Rumor Headwall, ended up in the trees on the right side.  Learned lesson was sometimes you can't stop when you fall, and slide a long way.  Ski Patrol crushed it, that's a steep sled ride down to a waiting snowmobile ride down the old Tannery Trail. I was just another kid from the Albany area to eat it hard off the Straightbrook Quad.

• Like 1

I love that plan.  My first season passes were to Gore/Whiteface with the ORDA pass back in High School... I washed dishes for two years in high school at Alteri's Restaurant, coming home smelling like red sauce and pasta to pay for it. Those years were simple.  Gore's a very underrated spot.  Whiteface was scary steep at the top as a kid, but Gore's got some pitches too.  I broke my wrist as a 10-year-old on the Rumor Headwall, ended up in the trees on the right side.  Learned lesson was sometimes you can't stop when you fall, and slide a long way.  Ski Patrol crushed it, that's a steep sled ride down to a waiting snowmobile ride down the old Tannery Trail. I was just another kid from the Albany area to eat it hard off the Straightbrook Quad.

Love it! Wait, when did Alteri’s close? When did you work there?

On 8/30/2020 at 10:58 PM, snowgeek said:

Love it! Wait, when did Alteri’s close? When did you work there?

I was washing dishes like 2000-2001 time frame?  I then realized lifeguarding at Normanside Country Club was a better gig as a senior.  No idea when Alteri’s closed but I think it was within 5 years or so after that?  Barb and Lou were getting up there in age and the 80 hour work weeks I think were getting to be too much.  Lou was at that restaurant from like 9am until 11pm every single day.

• Like 2

Hard to beat the Indy pass. $199, blacked out holidays (we don't bother then anyway for the most part). Plan on 2 days at Berkie, Catamount, Mohawk, Pat's, and maybe Cannon (if Tramline and some decent stuff is open). Getting to Magic and Bolton will be bonuses.  Hope to hit Greylock a few times and finally be able to ski the Powerline.

• Like 1

Was listening to gov. Scott’s press conference today and he was asked about the lodging and hospitality industry.  In response, he said (and I’m paraphrasing) that after they handle the school issues the next couple weeks, they would focus on assisting those industries both financially and looking at easing restrictions.  Reading between the lines, great news for helping out the ski industry that has been pummeled and some hope for out of staters looking at the ski season; maybe a more manageable and fair quarantine system is coming?

• Like 1