• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Banter 2020

George BM

Thx! I selfishly miss ‘em though, truth be told.

When Hay left last year, I made dinner a few nights later and grabbed one too many plates to serve the grub unconsciously thinking she was still around.

And after Ri left last Sat, went to make a sammy the other day and realized my hot sauce companion was gone.

The little things.

At least I have tonight’s storms to look forward to. Oh, wait...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FXW176 said:

Thx! I selfishly miss ‘em though, truth be told.

When Hay left last year, I made dinner a few nights later and grabbed one too many plates to serve the grub unconsciously thinking she was still around.

And after Ri left last Sat, went to make a sammy the other day and realized my hot sauce companion was gone.

The little things.

At least I have tonight’s storms to look forward to. Oh, wait...

Was having dinner the other night and realized that in a normal world with a kid not dealing with what one of mine is dealing with, he’d be like yours and off at college. 

But alas, home is where he is and will be for some time. 

You didn’t miss much yesterday. We’re due so tomorrow will deliver

7 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Especially on steak!

(That will start a real fire)

Since I was a kid I've liked ketchup on cucumber slices.

(Waits for the banhammer)

A couple weeks ago I made the mistake of getting an Egg McMuffin with Canadian Bacon.  That thing was so plain-tasting and dry I was dunking it in ketchup to make it palatable.  I will now stick with the sausage and egg variety.

If I'm reading the transcript correctly for today's hogan presser.....it seems both odd and confusing to now (1-2 weeks prior to reopenings) tell schools they need to reevaluate how best to allow in person learning. Idk about the rest of you, but I've already planned for my 3rd grader to be home til January because that's what aacps said was happening. 

Hopefully someone else has a clearer understanding, but it sounds like they now want kids back in person at the end of first quarter.

3 hours ago, snowfan said:

If I'm reading the transcript correctly for today's hogan presser.....it seems both odd and confusing to now (1-2 weeks prior to reopenings) tell schools they need to reevaluate how best to allow in person learning. Idk about the rest of you, but I've already planned for my 3rd grader to be home til January because that's what aacps said was happening. 

Hopefully someone else has a clearer understanding, but it sounds like they now want kids back in person at the end of first quarter.

The timing for his press conference is a bit odd considering schools starts in 3 days. 

He was definitely pissed at the 8 counties that did not present any plans for in school learning.

I don't really understand what exactly he was looking for at this point. With school so close to starting with distance learning.

16 hours ago, snowfan said:

you heard it correctly. Hogan gave the counties the responsibility to come up with their own plans, per their elected school board members, and thats what the counties did. Hogan is pissed that a few of them (8 in total) did not offer plans to have kids come back this calendar year. So now hes throwing a tantrum over it, putting pressure on them to rework their plans and dangling $10 million in grants in front of their faces to have kids return by November instead. 

Rather crappy IMO. He told them to figure it out, and they did. And he didn't like it. So instead of trying to work with the counties to figure it out, he'd rather throw a fit over it. Working with the counties would have served him better than telling them "you do what you want, but really you should do what I tell you". That approach is pathetic. HELP THEM. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

you heard it correctly. Hogan gave the counties the responsibility to come up with their own plans, per their elected school board members, and thats what the counties did. Hogan is pissed that a few of them (8 in total) did not offer plans to have kids come back this calendar year. So now hes throwing a tantrum over it, putting pressure on them to rework their plans and dangling $10 million in grants in front of their faces to have kids return by November instead. 

Rather crappy IMO. He told them to figure it out, and they did. And he didn't like it. So instead of trying to work with the counties to figure it out, he'd rather throw a fit over it. Working with the counties would have served him better than telling them "you do what you want, but really you should do what I tell you". That approach is pathetic. HELP THEM. 

Odd timing for a chastizing.

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Odd timing for a chastizing.

Right? I don't get it... I've seen many of teachers with their complaints

Don't get me wrong, I want my kid back in the classroom too, and Hogan raises valid points -- our metrics are pretty darn good these days. But geez, talk about waiting until the 11th hour to ask they rework their plans. Don't some counties go back next week? 

50 minutes ago, mappy said:

Right? I don't get it... I've seen many of teachers with their complaints

Don't get me wrong, I want my kid back in the classroom too, and Hogan raises valid points -- our metrics are pretty darn good these days. But geez, talk about waiting until the 11th hour to ask they rework their plans. Don't some counties go back next week? 

Yes, some do go back next week. And, some of the counties have already poured a lot of money into making remote learning work as best it can. He lost a lot of support yesterday from parent and education crowd.

• Like 1

Just now, snowfan said:

Yes, some do go back next week. And, some of the counties have already poured a lot of money into making remote learning work as best it can. He lost a lot of support yesterday from parent and education crowd.

I know Balt Co has some out and said they would do what they could to rework plans. Which is promising, because if it can work and its safe to do so (THE MOST IMPORTANT PART) I would be okay with sending the kid back to in class, even if its a hybrid of sorts. But man, dropping that at the last minute is just poorly done. Dangling that grant in their faces is the cherry on top. 

I think that they are starting to realize that having kids in school is the best way to flush the virus out of the population.  I like the idea of Hybrid approach.  If your child lives with or comes in to regular contact with anyway who is at risk of dying due to complication of corona virus.. it is best to keep them out.  

But if the child and their immediate family is in good health and are young... it is best to send them to school and let them spread the virus around.  In March everyone thought we were gonna somehow wait this thing by hiding..

It took a few months, but common sense is starting to prevail.  

China and South Korea were such a bad examples.. they went in to lock down after their peek.. now the rest of the world is paying for it.. I wouldnt be surprised if this was somehow plan all along.. 

• Haha 1

Just a guess, but the logistics for a hybrid model is really complicated and difficult to implement in three months, let alone a week or two. From a county perspective, the most to least complex is hybrid, virtual, fully in-person. As a teacher, I think it’s the same order, but 6 weeks ago when the decision to go fully virtual was made, no one had a clear idea of what our numbers would look like today. So, since then, all efforts have been geared towards making the virtual setting as rigorous as possible. Hogan knows that switching from fully virtual to hybrid is not something that can be done very quickly which really made yesterday’s presser unusual.

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

IMO Hogan wanted to call out the districts that have been obviously  sitting on their hands since March . They've had since March/ April/ May ...to come up with contingency plans for at least a combination of in person/ online .  He also wanted to show..hey..here's the Science metrics ...and they are lookin very good and have been in many counties for months . 

These counties have had Dashboards for months . They know the metrics.  They chose to not use them imo. Nor did the parents voices get heard imo.

I personally am glad he spoke up regardless of timing . 

I agree with calling out, but I wish he had called them out specifically instead of brushing a broad stroke.

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I agree with calling out, but I wish he had called them out specifically instead of brushing a broad stroke.

WBAL was tweeting the whole thing and showed which counties were indirectly being called out. Only 8 in the state had no in person plan until January. The rest have some hybrid in place by end of October. 

I agree... schools had to make these plans months ago when metrics where higher but they should have at least had plans for hybrid and virtual ready to go by the August 14th deadline. So I get where losetoa6 is coming from. 

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

WBAL was tweeting the whole thing and showed which counties were indirectly being called out. Only 8 in the state had no in person plan until January. The rest have some hybrid in place by end of October. 

I agree... schools had to make these plans months ago when metrics where higher but they should have at least had plans for hybrid and virtual ready to go by the August 14th deadline. So I get where losetoa6 is coming from. 

Do you recall which counties, or is there a graphic?

eta: I understand too, just wish he hadn’t sounded so negative on the entire state.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic