Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter 2020

George BM

46 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Wow. Caps are done. Been out played. They have that look of when an experienced team suddenly looks old.

I hope they get swept so they fire Reirden 2 mins after game 4 ends. What a disaster he is. 

the fact they couldn’t clear the puck which caused the 4th goal is the perfect symbol of their recent play. No tenacity. 

10 hours ago, nj2va said:

You now live in NC and you’re an Islanders fan? Time to find your sub forum. ;)

Nice!! I grew up on LI and lived in NOVA for 25 years. Doing my last 10 years of employment in NC. I feel more attached to the DC area than the meat heads in NY. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That one is actually true. Lightning doesn't add nitrogen, but it does fix nitrogen already in the atmosphere into nitrates that plants use. I believe this accounts for something like 10% of nitrogen fixation around the globe, so it's pretty substantial.

So how much lightning we talkin about to make my grass greener? How many  MJ/m, and at what frequency would it need to occur? Like I said, there is some truth to it, but it has no quantifiable impact on my lawn, which is what that hack of a met claimed. It's cow farts.

It's like the claims that OFC audio cable "sounds" better. Looking at the pure physics of it, there is an argument that can be made that there is some slight difference in cable performance, but certainly not at audio frequencies, and so completely imperceptible by any human being.

20 minutes ago, CAPE said:

So how much lightning we talkin about to make my grass greener? How many  MJ/m, and at what frequency would it need to occur? Like I said, there is some truth to it, but it has no quantifiable impact on my lawn, which is what that hack of a met claimed. It's cow farts.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/GL003i008p00463

"A rough estimate of the efficiency of fixation yields the value of 1026 NO2 molecules per lightning stroke."

I have no idea how to qualify that number or compare it to anything tangible, but I do know that the atmosphere, specifically lightning, is a significant source of nitrogen fixation and has been recognized that way since at least the 60s. Not a kernel of truth but a long-recognized tenet. I think where Tony went wrong is in implying that it's a localized effect, as if grass shoots up in a ring around individual CGs. It wouldn't be something that you notice in your neighborhood, because the effect is cumulative.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/GL003i008p00463

"A rough estimate of the efficiency of fixation yields the value of 1026 NO2 molecules per lightning stroke."

I have no idea how to qualify that number or compare it to anything tangible, but I do know that the atmosphere, specifically lightning, is a significant source of nitrogen fixation and has been recognized that way since at least the 60s. Not a kernel of truth but a long-recognized tenet. I think where Tony went wrong is in implying that it's a localized effect, as if grass shoots up in a ring around individual CGs. It wouldn't be something that you notice in your neighborhood, because the effect is cumulative.

I believe we are in general agreement.

• Like 1

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Reno NV
235 PM PDT Sat Aug 15 2020

The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Southeastern Lassen County in northern California...

* Until 330 PM PDT.

* At 228 PM PDT, a pyrocumulonimbus from the Loyalton Wildfire is
  capable of producing a fire induced tornado and outflow winds in
  excess of 60 mph was located south of Chilcoot, and is nearly
  stationary.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Extreme fire behavior with strong outflow winds capable
           of downing trees and starting new fires. This is and
           extremely dangerous situation for fire fighters.

* This tornadic pyrocumulonimbus will remain over mainly rural areas
  of southeastern Lassen County in the vicinity of the fire.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest
floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a
mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter
and protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 3975 12012 3972 12007 3970 12014 3971 12015
      3973 12015
TIME...MOT...LOC 2128Z 240DEG 0KT 3972 12013

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
HAIL...<.75IN

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic