Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter 2020

George BM

43 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Watching the O's game. Nunez just made one of the worst throws I've ever seen made by a MLB third baseman. The throw was so wide Davis just turned and started chasing it .Hard to believe we have gotten to this point after having Manny over there.

Nunez has no business playing the field. Decent hitter but terrible fielder. Full time DH

• Like 1

Not going to get into the political weeds here, but if anyone wants to do mail-in voting, please get your application in! Super easy, i emailed mine yesterday, got a reply from Baltimore County this morning saying it was received and my ballot will be mailed in early October

https://elections.maryland.gov/voting/absentee.html

I don't care how anyone votes, but please make sure to vote. 

off my soap-box now. 

• Like 8

21 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Regular Deep Creek visitors like @nj2va:  we're trying to plan a big family getaway for late September or Columbus Day weekend.  A couple family members think it will be too chilly Columbus Day weekend to do much on/in the water (or maybe outside...).  I figure it's certainly possible to get a chilly day that time of year, but could also be spectacular with temps near 70?  What's your personal experience?

The big autumn festival here in Garrett County/Deep Creek is 'Autumn Glory' which last year fell over Columbus Day weekend (I think).  They haven't announced dates this year on their website but I would guess it's likely the same time.  I looked back at my weather station which I installed on Oct. 13, 2018 and highs that month were generally in the upper 40s/50s, with a few days near 60/low 60s.  Last October was way warmer, with early October featuring a few low 80 degree days followed by upper 50s/60s around Columbus Day (and some 70s after that).  So basically, yes it certainly can feature warm weather here in early/mid October.  For awareness, average temps here start in the low 60s the early part of October.

That's probably a long-winded way of saying that yes, Columbus Day on average should feature temps that are warm enough to do things outside (hike/boat/etc) and you could also time it with Autumn Glory where generally foliage should be at/near peak unless we have a warmer fall. 

But then again, warm is relative to people - so if you want to have a better chance of warmer weather, do late September.  I have some family members that like to b&tch, so I try to keep them happier for my sanity but to each their own :)

Happy to help with recommendations, etc!

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Not going to get into the political weeds here, but if anyone wants to do mail-in voting, please get your application in! Super easy, i emailed mine yesterday, got a reply from Baltimore County this morning saying it was received and my ballot will be mailed in early October

https://elections.maryland.gov/voting/absentee.html

I don't care how anyone votes, but please make sure to vote. 

off my soap-box now. 

Just be sure to only vote once.:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Reposting here. Enjoy :) 

As promised. Turn the volume up and play it in HD. Enjoy. 

This is tropical :weenie:

Love the whistling wind sound.  Especially in overhead cables!

Security camera audio is awesome to listen to in evacuated office buildings when storms hit.  And the systems are well protected long after the power goes out.  And rarely does the cloud go down! ;)

I do remember one client whom shall remain nameless, that had a lot of stuff in their datacenter go down in Sandy.  Their emergency diesel generators (EDG) were on the penthouse level (roof) so no worries about high water BUT the 20,000 gallon diesel tanks AND pumps were in the basement.  When the basement has 7' of water all that fuel is useless and the 300 gallon reserve on the roof didn't last very long.  Oops!  Fortunately they did have mirror DCs in Texas and San Francisco.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

If you haven't in the past, make sure to hit Swallow Falls State Park.  That is a gem.

+1.  It's one of my favorite things to do in any season here -- it's been packed this summer with swimmers.  I love going there in winter to see the falls frozen -- highly recommend if you haven't!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Playing like utter, complete trash.  It’ll be a first round exit via sweep if they play like this in the “real” playoffs.

I’m not watching hockey, but the orioles have scored 1 run against the marlins in 23 innings, so keep some perspective on disappointing performances.

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic