• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Banter 2020

George BM

Good morning...I'm usually more involved with winter weather events, but I'm on the sound side of OBX in Nags Head! It has been quite amazing to experience the fury of this hurricane and crazy to feel the house shake at times! I cannot imagine what a direct hit or a Cat 2 or higher would be like!? Uhmm, I will be glad when this is done!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NeedaSnowday said:

Good morning...I'm usually more involved with winter weather events, but I'm on the sound side of OBX in Nags Head! It has been quite amazing to experience the fury of this hurricane and crazy to feel the house shake at times! I cannot imagine what a direct hit or a Cat 2 or higher would be like!? Uhmm, I will be glad when this is done!

I was at the outer banks just north of Ocracoke Island during Alex in 2004. It was nuts. Be safe, but get out on the beach when you can for shells.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I was at the outer banks just north of Ocracoke Island during Alex in 2004. It was nuts. Be safe, but get out on the beach when you can for shells.

We were here for that one too! But tucked into house pretty much as soon as you enter Kitty Hawk. I recall it being more tame compared to this bad boy...but being right on the waterfront is more intense!! Thanks for the idea of shell collecting after it is gone.  I can tolerate 6+ hours of snow...lol this?...not so much! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, yoda said:

Carlson not playing makes me wonder though... is he just taking the game off for "rest" since the games don't really count for much... or is the supposed injury more serious?

He's been practicing so im assuming it's just being extra cautious 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CAPE said:

This is the perfect set up for a tornado in these parts. Doesn't happen often. Not gonna lie, I would love to chase and see one, but just not in my yard. :yikes:

Yes - I've only seen one live tornado in my life - in Kansas in the early 70's.  However, as a teenager I will never forget seeing the aftermath of the Xenia F5 that obliterated downtown Xenia, Ohio in 1974.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/04/03/xenia-ohio-tornado-f-year-anniversary/   

You can still see parts of the path plowed through the center of downtown Xenia 46 years later.  Our local fire department responded with mutual aid from 30 miles away.  Our dad drove us through the aftermath 4 days afterwards.  Only way we got past the National Guard was because he wore is Fire Dept turn out gear.  Will never forget the devastation of seeing houses with a totally clean slab where even the toilet had been ripped from the foundation.  Seen a lot of weather around the world and that is near the top of unforgettable experiences.  

6 minutes ago, RDM said:

Yes - I've only seen one live tornado in my life - in Kansas in the early 70's.  However, as a teenager I will never forget seeing the aftermath of the Xenia F5 that obliterated downtown Xenia, Ohio in 1974.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/04/03/xenia-ohio-tornado-f-year-anniversary/   

You can still see parts of the path plowed through the center of downtown Xenia 46 years later.  Our local fire department responded with mutual aid from 30 miles away.  Our dad drove us through the aftermath 4 days afterwards.  Only way we got past the National Guard was because he wore is Fire Dept turn out gear.  Will never forget the devastation of seeing houses with a totally clean slab where even the toilet had been ripped from the foundation.  Seen a lot of weather around the world and that is near the top of unforgettable experiences.  

That must have been surreal. I saw the aftermath of an F3 a few miles from where I used to live in Carroll county years ago, and it was pretty shocking.

16 hours ago, CAPE said:

That must have been surreal. I saw the aftermath of an F3 a few miles from where I used to live in Carroll county years ago, and it was pretty shocking.

Indeed - it was amazing.  The complete devastation was unimaginable.  One of several events that kick-started my interest in this obsession we all call weather.  The tornado just missed a hospital in downtown, Xenia, which would have made the death toll much higher.  

What is also surreal is the green Buick Electra 225 in the picture on the Capital Weather Gang photo...   We had the same car at the time and drove it through Xenia after the tornado.    

@losetoa6 came out this morning to help us get some electrical outlets fixed. nice to put a face to the name! thanks for helping us out! mini-map is super excited that we can put christmas lights up out front again, and mr. map is happy he doesn't have to run a cord from the basement to the deck in order to use his new grill :lol:

• Like 8

Regular Deep Creek visitors like @nj2va:  we're trying to plan a big family getaway for late September or Columbus Day weekend.  A couple family members think it will be too chilly Columbus Day weekend to do much on/in the water (or maybe outside...).  I figure it's certainly possible to get a chilly day that time of year, but could also be spectacular with temps near 70?  What's your personal experience?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic