Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
August Discobs 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Is it a dedicated circuit for only that outlet? I would doubt that it is. If that’s the case, any outlet down the line from it can trip it. I would think that you have an outlet somewhere on that circuit that is getting water in it. I had the same thing happen once and it was because an outdoor outlet on the same circuit was getting water in it when there was heavy rain. Problem for me was that you never knew it was out and my freezer in the garage was in that same circuit.

It appears to control 3 outlets. 1 being the GFCI itself with the reset button (nothing plugged in). The next being an outlet in the telecom box which only has my FiOS ONT plugged into it (have confirmed the ONT is not bad as the GFCI will still trip with it unplugged). The third outlet is an outdoor outlet that is protected by a plastic cover. I verified no water had gotten into the shield - but the outlet itself sits next to a downspout so my money is on that being the issue. Every time it has happened it has stopped once the rain has been over for at least 5 hours or so. 

Hopefully they don't have to do major work - it's a relatively new condo/townhouse style unit. Landlord is coming with the builder folks on Wednesday. Funny thing is - it did NOT trip during a major downpour the other day. But it seems like prolonged rain or steady rain over 4-6+ hours will do it. 

50 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

It appears to control 3 outlets. 1 being the GFCI itself with the reset button (nothing plugged in). The next being an outlet in the telecom box which only has my FiOS ONT plugged into it (have confirmed the ONT is not bad as the GFCI will still trip with it unplugged). The third outlet is an outdoor outlet that is protected by a plastic cover. I verified no water had gotten into the shield - but the outlet itself sits next to a downspout so my money is on that being the issue. Every time it has happened it has stopped once the rain has been over for at least 5 hours or so. 

Hopefully they don't have to do major work - it's a relatively new condo/townhouse style unit. Landlord is coming with the builder folks on Wednesday. Funny thing is - it did NOT trip during a major downpour the other day. But it seems like prolonged rain or steady rain over 4-6+ hours will do it. 

I think you’ve nailed the problem. It’s that outside box I’m almost certain. My water was getting in behind the cover. If those things aren’t sealed tight to the wall it can get in. And all it takes is one drop. They should be able to fix that pretty easily.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think you’ve nailed the problem. It’s that outside box I’m almost certain. My water was getting in behind the cover. If those things aren’t sealed tight to the wall it can get in. And all it takes is one drop. They should be able to fix that pretty easily.

As soon as I ruled out the actual FiOS box shorting out I immediately assumed it had to be that outdoor outlet. I've never used that, and if I need to power something out in the driveway, I could just run one of those long extension cords from inside the garage. I'd be fine if they just disconnected it from the GFCI and power entirely...

I'm assuming the builder is going to come in and essentially just swap it for a new one which may have the same issue. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Feels like the back of summer may be broken. Don't see any big heat signals, hope I'm wrong and we can get one more big heat burst.

Certainly feels that way. 

Holly Grail of winter I see currently: 

+ PNA

- NAO 

- AO 

Would be fitting to see it continue in the months ahead, then firmly reverse as we near December.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Certainly feels that way. 

Holly Grail of winter I see currently: 

+ PNA

- NAO 

- AO 

Would be fitting to see it continue in the months ahead, then firmly reverse as we near December.   

Yea, we'll have like 62 and sunny on Christmas then heavy rain that night or something.

6 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Feels like the back of summer may be broken. Don't see any big heat signals, hope I'm wrong and we can get one more big heat burst.

If we have to have hot weather, I prefer it happen like this year. A mild to chilly May and July. A very humid and somewhat above normal July, but nothing record-breaking, most not reaching 100.  A wet and mild August. Now, cross your fingers September doesn’t pull nasty heat out of the late season bag of tricks. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic