Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discobs 2020

George BM

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Been sunny here for weeks.  :sun:

Nam hinting at upper 50s Wednesday morning.  Awesome!

Not that the weather will actually feel like fall, but this week will get us thinking about it. Low to mid 80s for highs, and coolish at night. Headed down the homestretch of summer- even though September in these parts usually features plenty of summer weather. Hopefully it is more seasonable than July-like.

In Ocean City for the week.  Raining pretty good at 70 degrees with winds gusting over 30 mph.  The drops coming off the balcony above us and floating off in the wind look just like like flakes mixing in. :lol:  Looking at better weather starting tomorrow.

Very happy to see the around 1 inch amounts in upper Montgomery.  We needed that.  Also glad to see not-so-heavy amounts in hard-hit Calvert where the family is.  What the Richmond area got would have been real bad for them.

58 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

In Ocean City for the week.  Raining pretty good at 70 degrees with winds gusting over 30 mph.  The drops coming off the balcony above us and floating off in the wind look just like like flakes mixing in. :lol:  Looking at better weather starting tomorrow.

Very happy to see the around 1 inch amounts in upper Montgomery.  We needed that.  Also glad to see not-so-heavy amounts in hard-hit Calvert where the family is.  What the Richmond area got would have been real bad for them.

I'm down in Calvert. Just over 2" overnight for us. We have to be up over 15" for the month now. 

My road is still closed from the hurricane and it's been almost 2wks!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IronTy said:

I'm down in Calvert. Just over 2" overnight for us. We have to be up over 15" for the month now. 

My road is still closed from the hurricane and it's been almost 2wks!

I’d love to know what it is about our microclimate that has us getting bull’s eyed over and over and over.

3 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I’d love to know what it is about our microclimate that has us getting bull’s eyed over and over and over.

I thinks it's just cyclical and luck of the draw.  In the early 2010s it was the opposite. Drought every year and it seemed like we had a forcefield around us preventing precip.  

• Like 1

From Mount Holly-

Steadier rain is moving slowly eastward and will likely progress offshore by mid afternoon. Lighter/scattered showers will remain in the wake of the main precipitation shield this afternoon, so have kept fairly high PoPs through the afternoon hours near/east of the urban corridor. So far, highest QPE has been in northern/central Delmarva and on the central New Jersey coast, confirming a rather poor overall performance of the model suite for this event (both in terms of geographic placement and total rainfall).

I concur. The models were all over the place, and no one model was very close with the distribution of the qpf, while hitting the actual min/ max locations. The 12z and 18z runs of  the GFS yesterday  caught the heavier precip(2" amounts) just south and east of DC, but then lost it after that. It probably did the best overall though. Euro was pretty decent overall, but had like 8" of rain along the beaches of MD and DE on the 12z run yesterday( I didn't look at 0z).  3km NAM was too wet, too far NW, and then went dry everywhere with its early morning runs. It had next to nothing here, which was totally wrong.

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

I thinks it's just cyclical and luck of the draw.  In the early 2010s it was the opposite. Drought every year and it seemed like we had a forcefield around us preventing precip.  

I moved here in 2013 and actually remember that the first two years I was here- I used to call it the Calvert split- every storm would find a way to miss. But then, starting around summer 2015... :lol:

Anyway, I got 1.39” for this event. Glad it was on the lower end.

After keeping the mosquitoes under control and a non issue from Spring through mid summer, the recent rains have brought out the late summer variety. Nothing like the early onslaught that occurs in Spring if I don't control it with larvicide, but it has become somewhat annoying at this point. I have to use spray when I am working outside now.

18 hours ago, high risk said:

while we're clearly not going to get the Sunday soaking that some of the guidance had been advertising, I think it's going a bit far to suggest a sunny afternoon.   Most of the forecast soundings and simulated satellite products I've seen have clouds (and perhaps some light rain or drizzle) persisting well into the afternoon.     But I certainly hope I'm being too pessimistic.....

:clap:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Rain was soaking/steady enough to trip my pesky GFCI in the garage. Only thing plugged in out there is the FiOS networking terminal. Landlord has somebody scheduled to come take a look on Wednesday...has happened the last 3 rainstorms. 

Is it a dedicated circuit for only that outlet? I would doubt that it is. If that’s the case, any outlet down the line from it can trip it. I would think that you have an outlet somewhere on that circuit that is getting water in it. I had the same thing happen once and it was because an outdoor outlet on the same circuit was getting water in it when there was heavy rain. Problem for me was that you never knew it was out and my freezer in the garage was in that same circuit.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic