Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discobs 2020

George BM

.20 in so far.

Most exciting thing to happen was a backup feeder (7.2kV) faulted under our parking pad and shot fire out of an expansion joint.  Even though it was raining, the grass was on fire and I had to grab a CO2 extinguisher to put it out!  Not every day you see pink flames shooting (briefly) out of the ground! 

The bummer is that side did something to a 400A xfer switch and the main standby genny is offline.  So now the power probably WILL go out!

Apologies if this is not the right place for this.. but I had a chance encounter with a very photogenic frontal boundary yesterday and thought I'd share some snaps. Too bad I only had my cellphone camera and not my DSLR...

Since the max filesize is relatively small here I will link my personal Google album. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RgFPoipfiF4JZ5UL8

Interested to hear more knowledgeable thoughts about what I'm seeing here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

That’s a long line of showers on radar stretching g from south of Phi to south of DC unbroken almost 

After replacing the mulch I had to do it again this morning. That line had a few heavier cells go across the upper Chesapeake Bay/Eastern Shore  which dropped .30 inches of rain here last night . Total with TS was 5.75. Ground soil should be good for a while. Refreshing this morning at 67 degrees when I woke up. 

15 hours ago, jahrules said:

Apologies if this is not the right place for this.. but I had a chance encounter with a very photogenic frontal boundary yesterday and thought I'd share some snaps. Too bad I only had my cellphone camera and not my DSLR...

Since the max filesize is relatively small here I will link my personal Google album. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RgFPoipfiF4JZ5UL8

Interested to hear more knowledgeable thoughts about what I'm seeing here.

Cool shots!  Looks like a shelf cloud with some scud clouds underneath.  This is definitely the right place to share those types of pics.

28 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Looks pretty wet over the next couple days. We need the rain! :raining: 

Hey if it keeps the heat at bay, I am good with it. Not too much though..

Was thinking about your struggles to keep your grass going ... have you ever had your soil tested?

15 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Was thinking about your struggles to keep your grass going ... have you ever had your soil tested?

Yeah its pretty typical for around here. Slightly acidic which is fine. The primary issue is cool season tall fescue not doing well with the high sun/high temps of mid summer here, combined with all the larger trees surrounding that area, and extremely well drained soil. Grass thrives in Spring and early summer, then starts to struggle mid to late June, and goes downhill from there, and ultimately burns and goes to thatch, specifically the full sun areas. The grass that gets partial shade hangs in there for the most part during the brutal heat and high sun angle of mid summer. I am going to try a blend that is specifically engineered for full sun and can supposedly endure the brutal heat and dry soil.

Yeah its pretty typical for around here. Slightly acidic which is fine. The primary issue is cool season tall fescue not doing well with the high sun/high temps of mid summer here, combined with all the larger trees surrounding that area, and extremely well drained soil. Grass thrives in Spring and early summer, then starts to struggle mid to late June, and goes downhill from there, and ultimately burns and goes to thatch, specifically the full sun areas. The grass that gets partial shade hangs in there for the most part during the brutal heat and high sun angle of mid summer. I am going to try a blend that is specifically engineered for full sun and can supposedly endure the brutal heat and dry soil.

Bermuda!!

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I meant like at a farm coop. Maybe that’s what you meant too. But when I had mine tested they were able to tell me the exact amount of each nutrient it needed for grass growth, proper ph, etc. I was just thinking that as much rain as you had that it shouldn’t have been that hard to keep your grass green. Makes me think it needs to grow a better root system. Could be wrong but that would be my first attempt. Also do you aerify the soil each year. 

I always thought that I did all the right things with my grass but my first soil test showed me that my soil was highly deficient in some areas, most notably nitrogen. 

The puzzling thing for me about your situation was that it seemed like you got a lot of rain. But then again you say your soil drains really well. I guess you could make the big jump to a warm season grass but you’ll have a brown lawn from Oct to May.

39 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I meant like at a farm coop. Maybe that’s what you meant too. But when I had mine tested they were able to tell me the exact amount of each nutrient it needed for grass growth, proper ph, etc. I was just thinking that as much rain as you had that it shouldn’t have been that hard to keep your grass green. Makes me think it needs to grow a better root system. Could be wrong but that would be my first attempt. Also do you aerify the soil each year. 

I always thought that I did all the right things with my grass but my first soil test showed me that my soil was highly deficient in some areas, most notably nitrogen. 

The puzzling thing for me about your situation was that it seemed like you got a lot of rain. But then again you say your soil drains really well. I guess you could make the big jump to a warm season grass but you’ll have a brown lawn from Oct to May.

Yeah I thought about that, but not sure how well that would do in the woods either.

As far as nitrogen, clover does well here, so I have taken that as a sign of nitrogen deficiency, but then I believe I read clover adds nitrogen to the soil. Either way I let the clover do its thing, as it likes to grow and it is green lol. I have added extra nitrogen while fertilizing, and never noticed any difference with the grass health.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic