Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discobs 2020

George BM

10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

1.92” in July, and I’m ok with another six weeks of seasonable summer, as long as it rains.

Seasonable would be tolerable, and the best we could hope for. Long range means suggest that is possible. But yeah hopefully it doesn't go dry. Doesn't look like that will be a problem for the next week or so anyway.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Ha, you beat me by a few minutes!  You can make a custom version up to 45 days.  I've been waiting for something like this.

https://maps.cocorahs.org/

I’ve been hoping for something like this too. Awesome new feature. I had been feeling like I got rain shafted for July with just over two inches, and then I searched and see areas just to my wnw had half of that.

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Now we can all see how much we've been screwed.  That's me with the 4.79" in July.

1060683872_Annotation2020-08-01094844.thumb.png.d7dbc118062855c084838810ba770099.png

I'm just NW of the two 5.55 and 5.57 readings IVO Vienna.

There's some interesting lollies in there from July.  It's going to be interesting when the data shifts from liquid to frozen and perhaps becomes more subjective (like the long standing debate about how frozen is measured at KDCA).  Likely all of the data points for rain are electronically measured from outdoor "trusted" sensors.  When we shift to frozen (hoping we get some in 20/21), the liquid equivalent from heated sensors will hopefully help keep the data from enabling too much slant stick measuring, and offset the "human factor".  

Noticed there does not appear to be data listed for KDCA and KIAD.  Looked up the background and with the sponsorship by NOAA, would anticipate the major airports would participate.  https://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=aboutus     

12 hours ago, CAPE said:

One more month of Summer. I am ready for Fall. Ofc it never actually feels like Fall around here until early October- sometimes.

Finished July with 6.30" of rain.

Loving the fact that it's less and less bright on my way to work each morning!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Pretty nice evening. 81 and quite comfortable.

View of a thin line of northward moving convection to the ESE along the MD/DE border.

towers.thumb.jpg.0cab7724de7d77dbfce8caea49a8cc4e.jpg

Things clouded up pretty good over this way over the last hour or so. Think we should get in on some storms developing to the south late this evening 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Things clouded up pretty good over this way over the last hour or so. Think we should get in on some storms developing to the south late this evening 

Not expecting much of anything over here tonight, unless some of this localized/isolated stuff passes over.. The main show with the OV energy should pass well to the NW.

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Nothing overnight.  It's so dry here I am even doubting the big rain they are advertising for Tuesday.

It's so swamped here that I'm positive about the big rain on Tuesday. Been a swamp here all summer. I'm not complaining and I hope I get crushed.

Feels and looks tropical out there. 81/76

9 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

It's so swamped here that I'm positive about the big rain on Tuesday. Been a swamp here all summer. I'm not complaining and I hope I get crushed.

Feels and looks tropical out there. 81/76

Sounds like you need some artificial drainage there. It literally cannot rain enough here in the summer. Soil is super well drained on the "upland" part of my property where the house/lawn is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Sounds like you need some artificial drainage there. It literally cannot rain enough here in the summer. Soil is super well drained on the "upland" part of my property where the house/lawn is.

Lots of clay and organic material in this western shore soil. I actually added a bunch of sand to my garden soil this year. Really helped the drainage issue. I've been on the winning side of the thunderstorm rains this season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Lots of clay and organic material in this western shore soil. I actually added a bunch of sand to my garden soil this year. Really helped the drainage issue. I've been on the winning side of the thunderstorm rains this season.

The soil on the upper eastern shore is highly variable. Lots of heavy clay in certain areas around here, and it doesn't drain. Not like the red clay over in the Piedmont. Most of my property is sand and silt.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic