Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

6 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Wantage NJ 3.12"   Max G 43 MPH 348P/4 in the westerly wrap around.  I wouldn't call it a true sting. Nor did we have a true PRE (no High to the north for good sfc convergence) and Isaias too fast behind the overnight-early morning qpf.  

I think the fact that trees were leaved,  and a bit of ground softening contributed to what will be a long duration cleanup.  (see officials for duration but cant see how this will be less than a few days for some rural areas).  

Frankford Township7MI away had 3.35"     

Wantage-this section was without power from 430P/4-630P/5 - this evening. I here a part of Sparta may not get power til Saturday? 

I may add a little more early Thursday and get reacquainted with the upcoming pattern then.

756P/5

Still around 800 meters no power in highland lakes .

Apparently crews from Pennsylvania are on site. Recording indicated hit hard with numerous telephone poles and trees down. Rt 515 still closed. Lots of tree damage.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, qg_omega said:

Isaias had a significant surge it just hit at low tide, I was looking at the tidal gauge for a few back bays, looked like a 4 to 5 foot surge.  Few hours later and we would have had moderate to severe coastal flooding

Yeah the gague at the Battery showed a storm surge, you can see a small jump near low tide so it just ended up being like an extra near normal high tide

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

lol I know but I always lose some of the posts when trying to multiquote.  I'll try to do it with 2-3 posts rather than 8 or 10 lol.

By the way, this storm windwise was the closest that I've experienced to Sandy.  I have a feeling this wont be the last one like that we get this year.

Comparison to Hazel- obviously Hazel was much stronger but I think the comparison is fair trackwise and because neither lost a lot of strength quickly even though they both went inland.:  Hazel made landfall farther south and tracked further to the west, but not by a lot.  Based on this map it looks like it was extratropical (but still hurricane strength) at our latitude?

Hazel_1954_track.png

It's not a bad analog (strength of the respective storms not withstanding) but Hazel hit in October, when baroclinic interactions are far more common. It's unusual to see this in early August, the 250 mb jet was extremely anomalous for this time of year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HailMan06 said:

Lost power for about 6 hours here in northern Somerset county. Apparently I'm one of the lucky ones since I heard others might be out until Mon. :yikes:

I'm in southwest Morris, night 2 of outage. Jcp&L has "dispatched and is investigating" per website. 

Keep in mind I respect these people tremendously, but no power on top of the Covid nonsense, plus a 7 month pregnant wife and a 3.5 year old...patience begins to run thin. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, mob1 said:

It's not a bad analog (strength of the respective storms not withstanding) but Hazel hit in October, when baroclinic interactions are far more common. It's unusual to see this in early August, the 250 mb jet was extremely anomalous for this time of year. 

Right!  and it makes me wonder what else we have in store for us this season.  Provided that the current pattern persists of course (and it's shown itself to be very resilient.)

40 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I'm in southwest Morris, night 2 of outage. Jcp&L has "dispatched and is investigating" per website. 

Keep in mind I respect these people tremendously, but no power on top of the Covid nonsense, plus a 7 month pregnant wife and a 3.5 year old...patience begins to run thin. 

And the heat...but this is better than the week after sandy when it was in the 20s and it snowed and had no heat

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Isaias did a number on those previously-warm SSTs offshore:

200805_218_1150_n19.thumb.jpg.a03ff8b14f53c6f2e50188493667cee9.jpg

Will be interesting to see how/if those recover in the next few weeks.

we'll get another few heat waves and warm up in time for the next one

• Like 3

3 hours ago, justinj said:

Just lost power for the first time in holbrook, over 24 hours after the storm hit 

Wow, that's surprising! Ours have had no power since the storm hit... PSEG saying don't expect it to be back until Friday afternoon. ughh

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Idk lol.   I have to learn the area.  North of 454 and south of 495.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

• Thanks 1

After being out and about today I really think Isaias may have been more destructive than Irene as far as wind goes. Irene felt much longer in duration and had rain, but the damage seems worse with Isaias, which lasted only a few hours.

1. Sandy

2. Dennis (FL 2005)

3. March 2010 Nor’easter

4. Isais

5. Irene

I was inside Dennis while it was a Cat 4, though I wasn’t near the center, not sure what “category” I actually experienced for sure (likely Cat 1-2) but only Sandy (and March 2010 stuck on the GWB) felt that intense, Sandy honestly felt meaner and more unforgiving, but I believe being in NY had something to do with it, FL is much better suited for these things, Sandy also lasted much longer because it was so massive.

And I know the March 2010 Nor’easter wasn’t a tropical system, but I always mention it with tropical cyclones because it felt like one. I was stuck on the GWB during March 2010, we literally went through the toll booth as the bridge was closing, one of the last cars to make it. We were on the bridge for close to 30 minutes and the wind was lifting the car off the roadway, on the lower level, in the outermost lane (scary sh*t). I have no clue what the gusts were at 200+ feet above the choppy Hudson River, but they were enough to lift and move a 4000+ pound vehicle and that’s something I’ll never forget.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, patrick05 said:

Wow, that's surprising! Ours have had no power since the storm hit... PSEG saying don't expect it to be back until Friday afternoon. ughh

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Where are you in holbrook?

Seeing quite a few heavily damaged trees that are still standing, it shouldn’t take much to knock them over, whether it be a thunderstorm, another tropical storm or hurricane, a strong front, etc. Just like Sandy and that early season snowstorm shortly after, a tag team of destruction.

If Isaias lasted any longer than it did they probably all would’ve fallen.

16 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Isaias did a number on those previously-warm SSTs offshore:

200805_218_1150_n19.thumb.jpg.a03ff8b14f53c6f2e50188493667cee9.jpg

Will be interesting to see how/if those recover in the next few weeks.

There was also a serious upwelling episode last weekend before the storm hit. Water went from 80-81 degrees into the 60s by Sunday night.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

compared to Sandy, 1.4 million power outages in NJ in this storm, compared to 1.7 million power outages in NJ in Sandy, 2nd by a hair! My Long Island home lost power for 25 hours in Sandy around 6 PM as it was making landfall near ACY, but thank goodness no power loss this time!

Can you do a comparison of max wind gusts for this storm vs Sandy, Don?  For JFK, FRG, etc.?

Some wind gusts from Sandy:

East Moriches: 82 mph
Farmingdale: 90 mph
Great Gull Island: 85 mph
Jones Beach: 81 mph
Long Beach: 83 mph
New York City-JFK: 85 mph
Syosset: 82 mph

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some wind gusts from Sandy:

East Moriches: 82 mph
Farmingdale: 90 mph
Great Gull Island: 85 mph
Jones Beach: 81 mph
Long Beach: 83 mph
New York City-JFK: 85 mph
Syosset: 82 mph

Winds here were definitely stronger from Sandy. This reminds me more of the 3/2010 nor’easter and Irene wind wise. The fast NNE motion at our latitude helped strengthen the winds I’m sure as well as the warm waters for this time of year. 

• Like 2

Our footage of a large waterspout turned tornado in Cape May County on Tuesday. It was just rated an EF1 but when we saw it as it’s biggest point I think it was stronger than that however it was over marsh land mostly (thankfully) so hard to gauge. Also footage of damage around Bay Ridge Brooklyn from the wind. 

https://youtu.be/FkrDyQjjmKE

AE8BB7C5-541B-47C1-BA78-1AF94F083AE1.png

• Like 6