Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

This makes no sense. FRG and ISP are mid-island. Stronybrook is on the north shore, so the winds traversed the entire island, and it still gusted to 75. North Babylon also nearly mid island. From Queens to Eastern Suffolk there was gusts 70+. JFK gusted to 70, FRG 78, ISP 69, Stonybrook 75. The entire island was trashed with 70+. 

It's funny that you in New Jersey can opine as to the damage on long island. That's pretty rich. 

Finally, your comment that only a few areas reported 70+ shows your complete ignorance of the island. There are very few official reporting sites west of the forks. All of them reported gusts 69+. There is zero support for your comment. 

Further, EWR gusted to 68, and im sure areas in CT and the HV were similar. 

Your point simply isn't supported by the data. Keep trying though, by all means.

I suspect 70+ mph gusts were fairly common on Long Island. The network of quality stations is somewhat limited, so there are a lot of areas for which there was no data. Even across the Sound, there were many trees that were snapped or uprooted, especially close to the Sound. The damage there is comparable to March 2010. Inland by a few miles, the tree damage is less severe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another reason for the extremely active Atlantic hurricane seasonal forecast is the result of a very active West African monsoon, Klotzbach said. "More robust easterly waves and more conducive upper-level winds for hurricanes in the tropical Atlantic are typically associated with an active monsoon." Easterly waves are the small weather disturbances that eject off Africa, which can develop into hurricanes. 

We'll see how many of these Cape Verde storms become a problem for us.  I think it's non-zero.

50 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Isaias had a significant surge it just hit at low tide, I was looking at the tidal gauge for a few back bays, looked like a 4 to 5 foot surge.  Few hours later and we would have had moderate to severe coastal flooding

I saw this earlier.  I didn't see anything too crazy.

sfas_plot (16).png

sfas_diff.png

3 hours ago, eduggs said:

You kind of make my point.  Only a few areas, relatively near shore, on a large island heavily exposed to southerly winds off the Ocean, reported 70 mph+.  LI is a very exposed piece of land, and was particularly exposed in this setup.  The majority of the NYC metro saw max gusts below 70 mph, which was still sufficient to cause widespread damage.

The Battery also reported a gust to 78 mph

30 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

We'll see how many of these Cape Verde storms become a problem for us.  I think it's non-zero.

Might happen as soon as two weeks from now.

Might challenge the 1954 record of three TC's affecting us.

Speaking of 1954, this storm seems like a weaker version of Hazel to me.  Hazel was the only hurricane I can think of that maintained hurricane status on an inland track (all the way to Toronto!)  Had this storm been a major at landfall it may have done the same (it was 70 mph all the way to the Poconos as it was.)

34 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I suspect 70+ mph gusts were fairly common on Long Island. The network of quality stations is somewhat limited, so there are a lot of areas for which there was no data. Even across the Sound, there were many trees that were snapped or uprooted, especially close to the Sound. The damage there is comparable to March 2010. Inland by a few miles, the tree damage is less severe.

compared to Sandy, 1.4 million power outages in NJ in this storm, compared to 1.7 million power outages in NJ in Sandy, 2nd by a hair! My Long Island home lost power for 25 hours in Sandy around 6 PM as it was making landfall near ACY, but thank goodness no power loss this time!

Can you do a comparison of max wind gusts for this storm vs Sandy, Don?  For JFK, FRG, etc.?

3 hours ago, eduggs said:

You kind of make my point.  Only a few areas, relatively near shore, on a large island heavily exposed to southerly winds off the Ocean, reported 70 mph+.  LI is a very exposed piece of land, and was particularly exposed in this setup.  The majority of the NYC metro saw max gusts below 70 mph, which was still sufficient to cause widespread damage.

There were plenty of 70 mph gusts.  And if a location isn't properly "exposed" to the wind, it isn't going to give you accurate wind reporting data, period.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, Rjay said:

Wow.   Trees down everywhere here. 

I just got my power back on. A large tree fell over right behind my place. At first, the tree began dropping very big branches. I was out on my back patio when I noticed the sidewalk lifting around the base of the tree. 30 seconds later it blew down around the time FRG got that 78 mph gust. We were very fortunate that the tree fell right between two houses with about three feet of clearance. These were my strongest winds in SW Suffolk since I moved out here in 2015.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

This makes no sense. FRG and ISP are mid-island. Stronybrook is on the north shore, so the winds traversed the entire island, and it still gusted to 75. North Babylon also nearly mid island. From Queens to Eastern Suffolk there was gusts 70+. JFK gusted to 70, FRG 78, ISP 69, Stonybrook 75. The entire island was trashed with 70+. 

It's funny that you in New Jersey can opine as to the damage on long island. That's pretty rich. 

Finally, your comment that only a few areas reported 70+ shows your complete ignorance of the island. There are very few official reporting sites west of the forks. All of them reported gusts 69+. There is zero support for your comment. 

Further, EWR gusted to 68, and im sure areas in CT and the HV were similar. 

Your point simply isn't supported by the data. Keep trying though, by all means.

This area must have gusted over 70 and perhaps for a decent period of time to cause the tree damage here. It’s not an exaggeration at all. And not just small trees came down-plenty of big ones too that are still blocking side streets and even bigger roads. There’s a tree on top of someone’s house on my street I’ll try posting a pic of later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

Sandy

Irene

Isaias

Floyd 

Bob (eh)

Everything else was meh.

**Too young for Gloria.  I was 2 yesrs old. That would probably be #2 if I were a bit older.  

We need @uncle W's list.  

IMHO  Dec 1992 ranks higher on this list than any storm for me outside of Sandy.  Three days of 60+ mph wind gusts with lots of rain and widespread devastation along the coast!

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Sandy.  Obvious 

gloria. A true hurricane with major tree damage and surge 

Irene. Surge puts Irene on top of Isaias, tree damage similar

Isaias. Tree damage but limited coastal impacts

Floyd

Bob

Ernesto

It’s only a mater of time before a storm makes all of these look like a walk in the park. I have a feeling we aren’t finished this year 

You didn't put Bertha on this list :P  there were hurricane force gusts up here during that storm.

If you want to apply all coastal storms, Dec 1992 ranks higher for me than all the others besides Sandy- three days of 60+ winds and heavy rain!

6 hours ago, mob1 said:

On the daily climate report they have the highest gust for EWR at 68 mph. I'm sure many inland areas saw something similar based on some of the pictures I saw of Clifton, Passaic, Jersey City, etc.

I saw a 69 mph gust reported for LGA- what happened to that?  I dont see it in the new climate report.

Do you (or anyone else) think the gusts might have been stronger had the storm taken a further east track (like S-N along eastern parts of NJ vs the NJ/PA border?)

22 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I saw a 69 mph gust reported for LGA- what happened to that?  I dont see it in the new climate report.

Do you (or anyone else) think the gusts might have been stronger had the storm taken a further east track (like S-N along eastern parts of NJ vs the NJ/PA border?)

Love your posts, but you know you can consolidate them all into one by pressing "multiquote" right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

The tree damage here is insane. Most places probably won't have power back for at least a week. Big, small, branches, whole trees and an unbelievable amount of downed wires and snapped utility poles. The gusts over the hilltops were well over 70, I guessed at low 80's for a few minutes based on 75 foot tall trees bending halfway to the ground and getting most of their upper leaves stripped off. The noise was awesome! I only got a total, including the rain around 10pm, of .75" so that was a non issue. That ESE/SSE wind just nailed these trees that aren't hardened to wind from that direction.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

compared to Sandy, 1.4 million power outages in NJ in this storm, compared to 1.7 million power outages in NJ in Sandy, 2nd by a hair! My Long Island home lost power for 25 hours in Sandy around 6 PM as it was making landfall near ACY, but thank goodness no power loss this time!

Can you do a comparison of max wind gusts for this storm vs Sandy, Don?  For JFK, FRG, etc.?

Due to my Internet being down I will have to see if I can get the data when it’s back up.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Love your posts, but you know you can consolidate them all into one by pressing "multiquote" right?

lol I know but I always lose some of the posts when trying to multiquote.  I'll try to do it with 2-3 posts rather than 8 or 10 lol.

By the way, this storm windwise was the closest that I've experienced to Sandy.  I have a feeling this wont be the last one like that we get this year.

Comparison to Hazel- obviously Hazel was much stronger but I think the comparison is fair trackwise and because neither lost a lot of strength quickly even though they both went inland.:  Hazel made landfall farther south and tracked further to the west, but not by a lot.  Based on this map it looks like it was extratropical (but still hurricane strength) at our latitude?

Hazel_1954_track.png

IMHO  Dec 1992 ranks higher on this list than any storm for me outside of Sandy.  Three days of 60+ mph wind gusts with lots of rain and widespread devastation along the coast!

Well yea.   But we are talking about tropical systems lol.   

I dont get surge here so I dont care about surge :P  This storm ranks higher than Irene for me for winds for sure, and just behind Sandy.

I was waste deep in Irene's surge so it holds a special place in my heart. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rjay said:

Well yea.   But we are talking about tropical systems lol.   

I was waste deep in Irene's surge so it holds a special place in my heart. 

Wow I would be too.  When you said waste deep in Irene's surge, I thought you were punning to point out that there was "waste" in Irene's surge haha, so a "special" experience, but not the good kind of special? ;-)

I remember when people were downplaying Irene because they expected it to be the reincarnation of the 1821 hurricane lol.  I stayed up all night to experience the heavy rainfall of that storm (in what had already been a very rainy month after we got 10" in a single day from training storms a week or two before that!)  I remember seeing some kind of small shed or other kind of small building break loose during the surge in Long Beach and it banged against the Long Beach bridge (?)  I hope I'm remembering this right lol.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Wow I would be too.  When you said waste deep in Irene's surge, I thought you were punning to point out that there was "waste" in Irene's surge haha, so a "special" experience, but not the good kind of special? ;-)

I remember when people were downplaying Irene because they expected it to be the reincarnation of the 1821 hurricane lol.  I stayed up all night to experience the heavy rainfall of that storm (in what had already been a very rainy month after we got 10" in a single day from training storms a week or two before that!)  I remember seeing some kind of small shed or other kind of small building break loose during the surge in Long Beach and it banged against the Long Beach bridge (?)  I hope I'm remembering this right lol.

There def was waste in Irene's surge just like all other surges.  I wouldn't recommend doing what I did.  It's pretty gross. 

Yes a lifeguard shack broke loose in LB.  

• Like 1

Wantage NJ 3.12"   Max G 43 MPH 348P/4 in the westerly wrap around.  I wouldn't call it a true sting. Nor did we have a true PRE (no High to the north for good sfc convergence) and Isaias too fast behind the overnight-early morning qpf.  

I think the fact that trees were leaved,  and a bit of ground softening contributed to what will be a long duration cleanup.  (see officials for duration but cant see how this will be less than a few days for some rural areas).  

Frankford Township7MI away had 3.35"     

Wantage-this section was without power from 430P/4-630P/5 - this evening. I here a part of Sparta may not get power til Saturday? 

I may add a little more early Thursday and get reacquainted with the upcoming pattern then.

756P/5