Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

36 minutes ago, Wxnyc said:

Interesting that the NWS has Brooklyn at 45-46 mph. The amount of damage and trees down in my neighborhood would say that my station wasn’t wrong . I’m at 30 ft off the ground and pretty accurate. 
my station shows the highest 15 min average at 54 mph and a gust up to 74 mph. Huge trees don’t come down at 45-46 mph.

CBE18327-DE1C-4774-9C47-3AC876AC2BA4.jpeg

944183E2-6A9D-4459-A55B-95BCAF100C42.jpeg

There must have been widespread gusts into the 70s given the amount of tree damage. Big trees like these wouldn’t come down with gusts barely over 60. And the ground wasn’t especially saturated-we had little rain East of the track. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There must have been widespread gusts into the 70s given the amount of tree damage. Big trees like these wouldn’t come down with gusts barely over 60. And the ground wasn’t especially saturated-we had little rain East of the track. 

Along or near the immediate shore, especially in LI, there were widespread gusts over 70.  But inland I think it was mostly lower than that.  60 mph gusts over the course of a few hours can definitely bring down large trees, especially with full summer foliage.  

19 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Along or near the immediate shore, especially in LI, there were widespread gusts over 70.  But inland I think it was mostly lower than that.  60 mph gusts over the course of a few hours can definitely bring down large trees, especially with full summer foliage.  

On the daily climate report they have the highest gust for EWR at 68 mph. I'm sure many inland areas saw something similar based on some of the pictures I saw of Clifton, Passaic, Jersey City, etc.

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

How would you rank all the tropical systems you experienced ?

1. Sandy
2. Irene
3. Isaias
4. Fay

Sandy.  Obvious 

gloria. A true hurricane with major tree damage and surge 

Irene. Surge puts Irene on top of Isaias, tree damage similar

Isaias. Tree damage but limited coastal impacts

Floyd

Bob

Ernesto

It’s only a mater of time before a storm makes all of these look like a walk in the park. I have a feeling we aren’t finished this year 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

How would you rank all the tropical systems you experienced ?

1. Sandy
2. Irene
3. Isaias
4. Fay

Sandy, Irene, Isaias, Fay

Irene goes ahead of Isaias for me because it brought significant flooding as well. both urban street flooding and river flooding. I've seen the Bronx river flood many times but Irene may have been the most I can remember seeing it outside its banks. 

18 minutes ago, eduggs said:

FRG is about 6 miles inland and gusted to 78, ISP is also 5-6 miles inland, gusted to 69. Stonybrook on the north shore of suffolk gusted to 75. So Long Island had widespread winds 70+, even inland

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

FRG is about 6 miles inland and gusted to 78, ISP is also 5-6 miles inland, gusted to 69. Stonybrook on the north shore of suffolk gusted to 75. So Long Island had widespread winds 70+, even inland

You kind of make my point.  Only a few areas, relatively near shore, on a large island heavily exposed to southerly winds off the Ocean, reported 70 mph+.  LI is a very exposed piece of land, and was particularly exposed in this setup.  The majority of the NYC metro saw max gusts below 70 mph, which was still sufficient to cause widespread damage.

3 hours ago, mob1 said:

On the daily climate report they have the highest gust for EWR at 68 mph. I'm sure many inland areas saw something similar based on some of the pictures I saw of Clifton, Passaic, Jersey City, etc.

I'm sure there were some high 60s and isolated low 70s in many towns and cities close to the shore.  But I think if 70 mph+ plus was widespread inland the damage would have been much more extensive.  There were many downed trees, but the damage I saw clearly reflected sub hurricane force winds.  And the limited wind data we have doesn't offer much support for widespread higher gusts.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, eduggs said:

You kind of make my point.  Only a few areas, relatively near shore, on a large island heavily exposed to southerly winds off the Ocean, reported 70 mph+.  LI is a very exposed piece of land, and was particularly exposed in this setup.  The majority of the NYC metro saw max gusts below 70 mph, which was still sufficient to cause widespread damage.

This makes no sense. FRG and ISP are mid-island. Stronybrook is on the north shore, so the winds traversed the entire island, and it still gusted to 75. North Babylon also nearly mid island. From Queens to Eastern Suffolk there was gusts 70+. JFK gusted to 70, FRG 78, ISP 69, Stonybrook 75. The entire island was trashed with 70+. 

It's funny that you in New Jersey can opine as to the damage on long island. That's pretty rich. 

Finally, your comment that only a few areas reported 70+ shows your complete ignorance of the island. There are very few official reporting sites west of the forks. All of them reported gusts 69+. There is zero support for your comment. 

Further, EWR gusted to 68, and im sure areas in CT and the HV were similar. 

Your point simply isn't supported by the data. Keep trying though, by all means.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Sandy (living in Long Beach which was devastated)

Isaias (wind)

Irene (wind was maybe a little less, but surge much higher)

Below this-Floyd, Bertha, etc. 

Isaias > Irene for wind but i took surge into account which puts Irene ahead for me.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, psv88 said:

This makes no sense. FRG and ISP are mid-island. Stronybrook is on the north shore, so the winds traversed the entire island, and it still gusted to 75. North Babylon also nearly mid island. From Queens to Eastern Suffolk there was gusts 70+. JFK gusted to 70, FRG 78, ISP 69, Stonybrook 75. The entire island was trashed with 70+. 

It's funny that you in New Jersey can opine as to the damage on long island. That's pretty rich. 

Finally, your comment that only a few areas reported 70+ shows your complete ignorance of the island. There are very few official reporting sites west of the forks. All of them reported gusts 69+. There is zero support for your comment. 

Further, EWR gusted to 68, and im sure areas in CT and the HV were similar. 

Your point simply isn't supported by the data. Keep trying though, by all means.

We need more ASOS on the island.  There are so many spots that lack properly sited anemometers, even many that have home weather stations do not go putting it up on a 6' tripod on their roof and grounding it, so that it's 30 foot.  I have my two for the NE Nassau, haha.  Those were 54 & 49 FWIW as highest gusts.  Driving in to Great Neck and taking Northern Blvd, you can see the area overall had gusts up to 80 mph.  I'm sure W Suffolk did without a doubt as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Isaias > Irene for wind but i took surge into account which puts Irene ahead for me.  

Isaias had a significant surge it just hit at low tide, I was looking at the tidal gauge for a few back bays, looked like a 4 to 5 foot surge.  Few hours later and we would have had moderate to severe coastal flooding

• Like 1