Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

pseg coo just said on news 12 420,000 were out at the peak.

i think the biggest factor that made this storm so impactful on trees was the unusual wind direction. Our trees are used to NE/E winds during storms and NW winds during the cold season. My parents enormous silver maple lost 3 huge branches today and did fine during sandy. (Like you said earlier less leaves during sandy)

420k is a lot. Sandy was about 930k at peak I think.  Irene was about 350k and March 2010 was 250k (all are Long Island numbers)

34 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

After Sandy we had no power for ten days, but literally every single transformer in town blew up. Unless I'm mistaken, most of these power outages are related to downed wires which are easier to fix.

Plus Sandy had power outages from storm surge flooding key infrastructure too. That can decimate the whole system and with no quick fix. Fortunately we dont have that problem. 

Also, thanks to that, Manhattan has avoided almost all power outages while every other boro has widespread power problems.

37 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

pseg coo just said on news 12 420,000 were out at the peak.

i think the biggest factor that made this storm so impactful on trees was the unusual wind direction. Our trees are used to NE/E winds during storms and NW winds during the cold season. My parents enormous silver maple lost 3 huge branches today and did fine during sandy. (Like you said earlier less leaves during sandy)

79409910-0D2B-4E4E-9326-1A6EA2E97664.jpeg

I was explaining that to my wife earlier, we never see winds of this strength from the direction it came from today. The tree damage is impressive for sure. My power will likely be out for a week or so which sux when you need it to run the well pump and have 4 people that need a working toilet. I rigged up a solution but it's questionable so I'll shut it down overnight and hope when I fire it back up in the morning and hope it doesn't blow out any more electronics, it took out the microwave and dehumidifier when I turned it on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

78mph was the highest at EWR.

90mph at ISP and 85mph at JFK.

Eatons Neck was the highest recorded at 96mph on the north shore of LI (but it's slightly elevated- 71ft)

One of the tools they use at JFK Tower measured that today, as well. 

image.png.1636e83de7b91b091462901a788d38bb.png

• Like 2

Genny up and running fridge and first floor window ac. Hearing "days" before it's back.  Up to 9 transformers blown in the chester/mendham area. 

Took a drive post storm, long valley to califon extensive flooding. Had water hitting the bottom of the expedition. Watched small sedans attempt to get through it. 

3 hours ago, Rjay said:

78mph was the highest at EWR.

90mph at ISP and 85mph at JFK.

Eatons Neck was the highest recorded at 96mph on the north shore of LI (but it's slightly elevated- 71ft)

Thanks for clarifying:) that storm was truly something else. How lucky are we to experience two anomalous storms in 8 years...we have a bumpy road ahead..

8 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Thanks for clarifying:) that storm was truly something else. How lucky are we to experience two anomalous storms in 8 years...we have a bumpy road ahead..

Off the top of my head there's been 4 wind events that have caused major tree damage in my area of the last 10 years (March 2010, Irene, Sandy and Isaias) and 2 snowstorms (the storm after Sandy and late March 2018).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

do you think this storm name will be retired? another example of the dreaded i storm..

Would be the second straight I storm from this cycle of names to be 1 and done.  Isaias replaced Ike which was retired in 2008.  They never got to the I storm in 2014, so this is its first iteration.  Ike replaced Isidore after 2002.  

• Like 1

Pressure bottomed out at 1001.0mb at 2:42 pm here. The damage I’ve seen looks about on par with Irene, but (obviously) less than either Sandy or March 2010. Didn’t see nearly as much tree damage as some of the pics in this thread, loads of debris and branches but no downed trees. That severe thunderstorm+microburst last summer must’ve cleared out the weak ones, in addition to Sandy, etc.

My job hasn’t had power since before the height of the storm, and no streetlights for most of the way there. Today should be peaceful.

• Thanks 1

Interesting that the NWS has Brooklyn at 45-46 mph. The amount of damage and trees down in my neighborhood would say that my station wasn’t wrong . I’m at 30 ft off the ground and pretty accurate. 
my station shows the highest 15 min average at 54 mph and a gust up to 74 mph. Huge trees don’t come down at 45-46 mph.

CBE18327-DE1C-4774-9C47-3AC876AC2BA4.jpeg

944183E2-6A9D-4459-A55B-95BCAF100C42.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wxnyc said:

Interesting that the NWS has Brooklyn at 45-46 mph. The amount of damage and trees down in my neighborhood would say that my station wasn’t wrong . I’m at 30 ft off the ground and pretty accurate. 
my station shows the highest 15 min average at 54 mph and a gust up to 74 mph. Huge trees don’t come down at 45-46 mph.

CBE18327-DE1C-4774-9C47-3AC876AC2BA4.jpeg

944183E2-6A9D-4459-A55B-95BCAF100C42.jpeg

I think your station is more believable 

Alot of trees down here where I also live in Sheepshead  Bay.