Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

It's hard to compare bc this storm wasn't purely tropical.  But in your scenario, the main difference would be that areas near and just east of the center would have been hit much harder. 

Yes, we owe the DR a hug.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Its just hard to get it.  Most majors occur in September in that area and by then normally the environment from JAX-NC coast is not usually as good so the systems tend to weaken on that bend.  The best way to get a 3 here is the 1938 setup

Or the Hazel-type scenario (assuming you’re not talking about a purely-tropical cyclone and you’re focusing strictly on winds).  I know that the winds here were intense with that one, but did she have a dry eastern side as well?

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

It’s saying 95k out as of 4:46. If that’s correct that’s really good. Sandy was 900k and even March 2010 was 250k. Maybe it is because we have lost all the biggest trees over the years like was said. Maybe the more aggressive tree trimming and “hardening the system” helped?.. but then again that might be giving too much credit to PSEG. 

It’s been showing the exact same number for 4 hours. It hasn’t updated since 2:30 pm. 

Just now, Rjay said:

The ones on the south shore are definitely low

There is no doubt winds were lower than Sandy.  I guess we had more leaves off the trees than we realized because way more trees are down today but for some reason I recall that being a late foliage season.  I felt winds in Merrick were 80-90 during Sandy and the obs at ISP and JFK of 94 and 75 sort of confirm that.  Today was 65-75 and way more trees went down

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There is no doubt winds were lower than Sandy.  I guess we had more leaves off the trees than we realized because way more trees are down today but for some reason I recall that being a late foliage season.  I felt winds in Merrick were 80-90 during Sandy and the obs at ISP and JFK of 94 and 75 sort of confirm that.  Today was 65-75 and way more trees went down

For sure. That monday evening nearing high tide,  we were most definitely gusting 75-90 mph throughout nyc metro. If i remember correctly there was ~85mph wind gust around 8pm at kewr

1 minute ago, SRRTA22 said:

For sure. That monday evening nearing high tide,  we were most definitely gusting 75-90 mph throughout nyc metro. If i remember correctly there was ~85mph wind gust around 8pm at kewr

For most near the coast Sandy was definitely higher. Given the tree damage where I am though we must’ve had gusts into the 70s today. 

13 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

No way brooklyn only got 46mph gusts

Way too low

Kingsborough College on their Davis sensor gusted to 64 mph. Don't know if it meets official NWS anemometer criteria though.

My station (which is shielded by a trees to it's east) gusted to 45 mph, so I am sure they had higher winds in the borough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This was March 2010 type of wind.   

• Like 1