• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

I would say this storm was near the higher end of my expectations. Western sections had more rain than expected but we missed out on the tornado threat. I'm glad about that, but you don't get these setups too often and it would have been really something if it had materialized. 

Amazing how many people came up to us between 6 and 9 am and said "fake storm". 

Definitely the strongest sustained winds I've stood in with gusts in the mid 60s.  

What stood out was the difference in temperature.  Once the storm got going it was warm and humid then halfway through the temp dropped 10 degrees in a few minutes and when the winds shifted back to the west it rose again.  

The freakiest thing and I mentioned this on air was the smell of trees and vegetation in the air. Since we were on the beach we didn't have a lot of vegetation around.  But the winds out of the west brought the smell of trees all the way to the beaches, something I smelled only after Irene and Sandy and in tornado damage in Florida.  

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

Now that Isaias is moving out would you all say this busted under, over, or roughly as predicted?

As predicted. 60-80 mph gusts happened on LI and the damage/outages is what one would expect.  If anything busted it was precip on the East side of storm. 

4 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

As predicted. 60-80 mph gusts happened on LI and the damage/outages is what one would expect.  If anything busted it was precip on the East side of storm. 

I never thought there would be much on the east side.   Models did a good job.  

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Not even once per hour. Not for 2.5 hours...

It’s saying 95k out as of 4:46. If that’s correct that’s really good. Sandy was 900k and even March 2010 was 250k. Maybe it is because we have lost all the biggest trees over the years like was said. Maybe the more aggressive tree trimming and “hardening the system” helped?.. but then again that might be giving too much credit to PSEG. 

2 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

It’s saying 95k out as of 4:46. If that’s correct that’s really good. Sandy was 900k and even March 2010 was 250k. Maybe it is because we have lost all the biggest trees over the years like was said. Maybe the more aggressive tree trimming and “hardening the system” helped?.. but then again that might be giving too much credit to PSEG. 

I think the majority of the strongest winds were in a corridor of Nassau to West Suffolk.  It seems less outages and damage occurred near the Queens/Nassau border and east of FRG

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think the majority of the strongest winds were in a corridor of Nassau to West Suffolk.  It seems less outages and damage occurred near the Queens/Nassau border and east of FRG

Lots of trees down in Great Neck. Also PT/Wx in Douglaston said trees down on parked cars by him. 

It was definitely a bit drier then I expected along the coast. I would have thought feeder band would have produced better rains. The tor threat was largely a bust around the metro as it never materialized. 

That being said, the rain was impressive in eastern Pa and the wind did not disappoint us. (Unless you took those wind maps as gospel) 

• Like 1