Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

5 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

westchester county luckily survived from major damage, call me a weenie if you want but was a dud here, obviously not for others in our forum.  stay safe everyone.

Yes wasn’t too bad winds gusts to mid 50s as expected, didn’t lose power but many did.  The Tornado threat never came to pass as the line weakened north of LBI

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A couple quick shots from my campus. It’s going to be a long week

44E8F36E-D4FF-4B27-B13A-0A2C1D239049.jpeg

FBF55651-E1AC-4BED-92F9-728C69DA45E3.jpeg

The London Plane Trees outside my window are being ripped to shreds, several branches down and a ton of foliage gone. Pines holding up much better, southern trees doing better too.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Definitely lower than I would have expected.  I still think restoration will take a few days due to downed trees though

After the big Huntington to Hauppauge T-storm last summer PSEG came and cleared branches from near power lines in my neighborhood (I lost power for 3 days from that), and maybe the effect of old/weak trees being cleared from prior storms helped. Not out of the woods yet though. From what I hear there’s plenty of trees down in my area. Haven’t been out to check yet. 

I've seen strong wind storms in western Europe - Netherlands, Germany, Poland - where 20%+ of the treecover was felled over dozens to hundreds of square miles.  On the east coast of the US, tree damage tends to be much more localized, particularly in severe thunderstorms.  But I can imagine a scenario where we lose a lot more trees over a widespread area.  Saturated ground and widespread 80-100mph winds would do it.  And it will happen one day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I've seen strong wind storms in western Europe - Netherlands, Germany, Poland - where 20%+ of the treecover was felled over dozens to hundreds of square miles.  On the east coast of the US, tree damage tends to be much more localized, particularly in severe thunderstorms.  But I can imagine a scenario where we lose a lot more trees over a widespread area.  Saturated ground and widespread 80-100mph winds would do it.  And it will happen one day.

We had tons of tree damage with the March 2010 Noreaster, Irene in 2011 and then Sandy in 2012 which all helped to thin the herd of weaker trees in the area. Granted it's been eight years but we're nowhere near as vulnerable. After Sandy a lot of wires were put underground as well.