• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

Big hydro problems from MD to EPA.  Fortunately this thing is moving pretty quick.  Axis of heaviest rain stayed just west of the metros.  Looks like one or two quick shots of tors as the main feeder band spins through and then a few hours of very gusty winds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

Big hydro problems from MD to EPA.  Fortunately this thing is moving pretty quick.  Axis of heaviest rain stayed just west of the metros.  Looks like one or two quick shots of tors as the main feeder band spins through and then a few hours of very gusty winds.

Great post 

25 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

In 26 minutes, Philadelphia has picked up 1.17" rain. That brings the daily figure to 3.01". The daily figure surpassed the old record of 2.74", which was set in 1915.

Heavy rain axis looks about where it was expected, maybe even a bit East. There should be some 3-4” amounts in the western half of NJ too. I would rather have taken that then the high winds and tornado threat here on the right side. Still not much wind here but models have it picking up pretty quickly as the major feeder band comes in. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jasperk99 said:

Stupid question I always thought we look at the Velocity radars to look for tornado activity.  On several videos, I have seen meteorologists use the correlation coefficient radar that we usually use to look for the changeover line in a snow/sleet storm.  What is the difference?  Thank you in advance

No question is stupid.  Storm relative velocity will show you rotation but using correlation coefficient/differential reflectivity is as close to ground truth as you can get using radar.  It will show you if there's debris being lofted into the air. 

• Like 3

Just now, jm1220 said:

Heavy rain axis looks about where it was expected, maybe even a bit East. There should be some 3-4” amounts in the western half of NJ too. I would rather have taken that then the high winds and tornado threat here on the right side. Still not much wind here but models have it picking up pretty quickly as the major feeder band comes in. 

Wind is kicking up here, should be by you

Just now, jm1220 said:

That appears to be the case. The wind will likely pick up very quickly over the next hour or two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

No questiom is stupid.  Storm relative velocity will show you rotation but using correlation coefficient is as close to ground truth you can get using radar.  It will show you if there's debris being lofted into the air. 

ah, thank you!

A lot of small/weak spin ups were not and probably will not be identified and flagged.  They are forming and moving very quickly.  If you could be out in a boat safely SE of Atlantic City I bet you would have a great view of several tornadic waterspouts parading in that line.

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

by mid afternoon it should be through the area

Right in your backyard here bud....daughter is supposed to have a Chem lab quiz at 5....told her to email the professor we may have no power.. all classes are online. This guy's a one those persnicketty types, admin already had a talk with him....

64 KT occurred Ocean MD on a platform. Elevated platform in DE BAY 67 kt. LBI SURF looks like a potentially very bad report a few minutes ago and so not using but if there is big damage by LBI...specific report should be sent here with resource. 

50 KT up to Brick NJ.  

Within about 2 hours NYC and LI involved with 50 kt+  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Ocean and southern Momnouth under tornado warning according to news 12....when will the tornado danger pass for the region? I'm not even thinking about the power right now....this is a quick mover right?

The main impact from any tornadoes would be from the main feeder band that’s over central NJ now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s going to come in like a wall with the main feeder band. We should see consistent gusts in the 50s then. After that the question is can we surpass 70

We won’t. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4