Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

24 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

classic east of track situation like we saw with Fay

3K NAM is even further west with the 2 inch rain line over the Delaware River and west

yeah this is such a "normal" pattern for what these storms do up here, you dont even need a model to forecast it- lots of rain west of the track, lots of wind east of the track.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I should have been in the Poconos for this one lol, I would've seen a lot more rain there.

Depends what's more exciting to you. 4-6 hours of torrential rain and some gusty winds or 4-6 hours of severe wind, some rain and a few tornadoes.

I'll take the second option.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Depends what's more exciting to you. 4-6 hours of torrential rain and some gusty winds or 4-6 hours of severe wind, some rain and a few tornadoes.

I'll take the first option if it means a much more manageable storm, as it's looking like up here further inland. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, btcs31 said:

I have to fly out of LGA at 6pm tomorrow (don’t want to fly - have to for work tho). How impactful will this be to air travel. I assume greatly but no experience with tropical storms.

That flight doesnt seem likely

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

tornadoes are so rare, the chances of seeing one are literally a million to one.  The second option would be more exciting if it was raining the entire time it was windy.

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

tornadoes are so rare, the chances of seeing one are literally a million to one.  The second option would be more exciting if it was raining the entire time it was windy.

It'll be somewhat likely on LI that there are one or two, but even so TS/hurricane related tornadoes are typically weak and short lived. 

Thankfully it seems like the worst of the storm will be over by high tide tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

It'll be somewhat likely on LI that there are one or two, but even so TS/hurricane related tornadoes are typically weak and short lived. 

Thankfully it seems like the worst of the storm will be over by high tide tomorrow night. 

yeah a 3ft surge wouldn't be something we want to see.

is high tide around 8 PM tomorrow night on the south shore?

Just got an email from PSEG.  If we really do get the severe wind impacts out here, regular people really are not aware. 

PSEG Long Island has been monitoring Isaias around the clock and our latest projections show that this storm has been escalating in strength and has the potential to cause a significant number of power outages. We now anticipate that this storm may be one of the strongest to reach Long Island in years and some outages could last for an extended period.

The energy grid is much stronger now than it was just a few years ago, but we are prepared to respond to any outages safely and as quickly as possible with our own crews and additional utility crews that we are bringing in from off-island.

11 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Just got an email from PSEG.  If we really do get the severe wind impacts out here, regular people really are not aware. 

PSEG Long Island has been monitoring Isaias around the clock and our latest projections show that this storm has been escalating in strength and has the potential to cause a significant number of power outages. We now anticipate that this storm may be one of the strongest to reach Long Island in years and some outages could last for an extended period.

The energy grid is much stronger now than it was just a few years ago, but we are prepared to respond to any outages safely and as quickly as possible with our own crews and additional utility crews that we are bringing in from off-island.

I honestly don't get how there isn't more concern for the wind impact on LI, especially along the immediate south shore by most people/media outlets. Yes, those Euro/UK maps are waaaaay overdone but with the wind direction coming straight off the Atlantic thanks to the western track, LI could really get slammed here.

• Like 2