Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

I'd be shocked if we didn't see some hurricane force gusts. This storm has been big on winds from the start.

The winds on the east side of an accelerating tropical system can be quite powerful. 

Yea, i think the south shore beaches gust to 65, ISP and FRG will gust mid-50s. We will see some outages out here.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Remember these things tend to be a bit more east of what you expect.  I would not be surprised to see the metro spared the worst winds in the end with a 20-30 mile east kick.  Central-East LI though are locks to see strong winds 

Models are tightly clustered on taking the center near Philly. Difference then is does it continue on a NNE heading into Upstate NY which would deliver the winds or does it take more of an Easterly pivot which would kick the wind potential East of the city?

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Models are tightly clustered on taking the center near Philly. Difference then is does it continue on a NNE heading into Upstate NY which would deliver the winds or does it take more of an Easterly pivot which would kick the wind potential East of the city?

NNE moving tropicals verify east of the NHC forecast at 24-48 hours 90% of the time I think. 

• Like 1

Those two UKIE maps are some serious business.... like others have said prob cut that wind map in half which is still up in the storm force wind just range.... i am sure a few locations will see hurricane force wind gusts.  However, the precip map is extremely concerning on top of those winds.  Any thoughts on 4-7" of rain? 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There aren’t going to be 100+mph gusts with this. That’s insane. I’d say maybe 70-75 right on the beaches and 60mph elsewhere East of the center. 

Agreed but you just never know. Huge blowup of convection currently to the North and NW of the center. The change in directional shear is allowing this to have one last gasp. Radar is a bit long range but looks like it may have closed off an "eyewall" again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Those two UKIE maps are some serious business.... like others have said prob cut that wind map in half which is still up in the storm force wind just range.... i am sure a few locations will see hurricane force wind gusts.  However, the precip map is extremely concerning on top of those winds.  Any thoughts on 4-7" of rain? 

Moving awfully fast to dump that much rain IMO

59 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

12z HWRF has a period of 50-60kts for Sandy Hook, NY Harbor and 40-45kts for Southern Queens, Brooklyn and SI. Elsewhere sustained winds look to be in the 20-30kt range which I personally think is a bit underdone compared to model consensus. 

1B8CAC61-C2EF-4F53-81E5-D34D5C6B3ADA.thumb.png.a18b0a0b8b7026e89decd4c6a288f394.png