Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

At least the lack of rain East of the center should limit the tree damage somewhat. There’ll definitely be power outages though if the 60+ mph gusts do happen. If you’re expecting over an inch of rain though you’ll be disappointed. Many may not even make it to 0.5”. 

Its insane how this storm will shoot straight north  instead of re curving.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

At least the lack of rain East of the center should limit the tree damage somewhat. There’ll definitely be power outages though if the 60+ mph gusts do happen. If you’re expecting over an inch of rain though you’ll be disappointed. Many may not even make it to 0.5”. 

As of right now NWS is expecting 4 inches of rain between today 8 PM and Wednesday 2 PM.

Over 3 inches between 8 AM tomorrow and 2 AM wednesday

rain.JPG

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I’m sure it will be impactful for some locations  but I would sell on any big wind threat IMO 

Why ?

Interaction with the trough will enhance the winds. Some areas will come close to hurricane force wind gusts especially on the coast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Why would you say that ? The trough is going to ignite this storm up here.

Heaviest rain will be west of the city  and the strongest  winds will be in NYC east.

yes, but it's a quick hitter.   some of the more damaging storms have 30-40 mph winds for hours before the main show arrives-I agree with him-fast moving event with a couple inches of rain on relatively dry ground and a few hours of wind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Why ?

Interaction with the trough will enhance the winds. Some areas will come close to hurricane force wind gusts especially on the coast.

Perhaps along the immediate shoreline/eastern LI but I think less then 50 mph for much of the area 

• Weenie 2

42 minutes ago, KrazyKeyur said:

As of right now NWS is expecting 4 inches of rain between today 8 PM and Wednesday 2 PM.

Over 3 inches between 8 AM tomorrow and 2 AM wednesday

rain.JPG

If you’re in much of NJ, E PA and the Hudson valley, sure. If you’re East of the city, no way unless this ends up taking much more of a NE turn than expected. 

4 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

An 80 mph gust on LI and 70 on the Jersey Shore is a good possibility.  I'll be covering this one from manasquan (as usual) and certainly emphasize the tornado threat.  

I'd be shocked if we didn't see some hurricane force gusts. This storm has been big on winds from the start.

The winds on the east side of an accelerating tropical system can be quite powerful.