Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

Just now, PB-99 said:

I really thorought a 2 was a layup by now over that 29c water.

Bust.

I will take my 5 inches of rain and root for a spin up tomorrow and Tuesday.

Looks like 2 very active days coming up.

It looked like it was

The shear is really taking a big toll on the storm

59 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

I really thorought a 2 was a layup by now over that 29c water.

Bust.

I will take my 5 inches of rain and root for a spin up tomorrow and Tuesday.

Looks like 2 very active days coming up.

Water temp means little if the storm is getting sheered with dry air aloft

D9FF1840-3206-40E0-AA17-ECD84CAA6F57.png

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Keep in mind that at least up here, it will be a transitioning system so the fact that it’s a disaster now has little impact on what we can expect here unless it completely dissipates.

heavy rains for sure-maybe some gusty winds, but nothing crazy.   The flooding threat is the big concern for places that get storms tomorrow, the possible PRE and then west of the storm track for the main show...

There appears to be quite a blow up of thunderstorms near the eye. Apparently these thunderstorms are not vertically aligned but will have to watch to see if that changes.

For anyone interested this is a pretty good hurricane info page. You can scroll down to the satellite view and see what I am talking about with the thunderstorm blow up.         https://spaghettimodels.com/

45 minutes ago, lee59 said:

There appears to be quite a blow up of thunderstorms near the eye. Apparently these thunderstorms are not vertically aligned but will have to watch to see if that changes.

For anyone interested this is a pretty good hurricane info page. You can scroll down to the satellite view and see what I am talking about with the thunderstorm blow up.         https://spaghettimodels.com/

Yep, just looked. Definitely a huge burst

12 hours ago, Animal said:

Sorta of alarming with your post regarding tomorrow.

Sorry, been out at family gatherings the past couple of days (distanced).  Yes,  I "think" this is going to be a multi episodic day in our NYC forum Sunday. 

8A-1P n NJ se NYS maybe reaching NYC around Noon.  I expect 1 to 3 SVR's and associated 1" 30 minute drenchers moving ne in  WAA with diffluent 1000-500mb thickness and decent winds aloft. Then ~1 PM Sunday afternoon...ne PA/nw NJ and SE NYS shuts off, with potential for strong convection shifting only into a few spots of CT and central NJ. Thereafter, the  trough approaching from the west , should activate a scattered-broken line of severe thunderstorms in remaining relatively high CAPE between 5P and midnight.  First in e PA 5P-8P then possibly training SVR's or FFW in the I78-I195 corridor 8P-midnight.  This based on a shot of drying midday moving into ne NJ/interior se NYS, then everything rejuicing late in the day-as it's recovered,  and I think primed for release with the trough approaching.  Need other input-guidance assessments but that's the way I see it. HI in PHL should rise to 100 tomorrow which tells me plenty of instability feeding in on the sw flow ahead of the trough. 

I think a PRE is likely Monday night from e PA into se NYS and w CT... i could be too far south on this and/or I could be totally mistaken that it occurs at aLL, but if occurs, 4-8" IN 6-12 HOURS and isolated svr  within a fairly narrow swath. Again input from the experts on PRE sought. 

Isaias as you all see and think per NHC/local offices and AMWX.  

I have seen model guidance over 10" in in a small part of our area by 12z Wednesday.  PRE"s and Tropical storm rains don't necessarily overlap... if they do, that's bad news (significant flooding in  the overlap area which might be w CT?).  The only other thing on Isaias... I'd like this to look more like a TS in its rain bands by the time it gets to NC. I think jet dynamics might straighten this storm out, which has not been very pretty so far- yet it has, as bad as it's looked, it's been fairly powerful.  kind of an oddball storm which may mean it's odd all the way up the coast?

In summary not much change from what I saw on the 00z/1 cycle.  I have to take this one event at a time.  Right now, let's see if SVR reports can be fairly widespread in our area by 1201AM Monday.  Will reassess Sunday morning ~7A.  835P/1

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Neblizzard said:

How much you thinking for our area ? I’m in union county as well . 3-6 inches of rain ?

Nt sure who're asking... but from my standpoint,  FFW likely, even if for only 4 hours.  BUT BUT BUT.. as good as this looks right now and has for several days... something always goes wrong.  If I'm working, I'd probably want to be safely home by Noonish Tuesday and may not have to work on Wednesday  due to the impacts-power outages and/or pockets of leftover flooding.  Your 3-6 for the event sounds good... might end up just near 3? or quite a bit more, Take the near 3 as a good start. Storm goes w of you, then little chance of 3, more like just 1.  WPC has you a good swath and the NAEFS looks big for NJ/NYC Hud Valley/far w CT. Lets see what happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

Sorry, been out at family gatherings the past couple of days (distanced).  Yes,  I "think" this is going to be a multi episodic day in our NYC forum Sunday. 

8A-1P n NJ se NYS maybe reaching NYC around Noon.  I expect 1 to 3 SVR's and associated 1" 30 minute drenchers moving ne in  WAA with diffluent 1000-500mb thickness and decent winds aloft. Then ~1 PM Sunday afternoon...ne PA/nw NJ and SE NYS shuts off, with potential for strong convection shifting only into a few spots of CT and central NJ. Thereafter, the  trough approaching from the west , should activate a scattered-broken line of severe thunderstorms in remaining relatively high CAPE between 5P and midnight.  First in e PA 5P-8P then possibly training SVR's or FFW in the I78-I195 corridor 8P-midnight.  This based on a shot of drying midday moving into ne NJ/interior se NYS, then everything rejuicing late in the day-as it's recovered,  and I think primed for release with the trough approaching.  Need other input-guidance assessments but that's the way I see it. HI in PHL should rise to 100 tomorrow which tells me plenty of instability feeding in on the sw flow ahead of the trough. 

I think a PRE is likely Monday night from e PA into se NYS and w CT... i could be too far south on this and/or I could be totally mistaken that it occurs at aLL, but if occurs, 4-8" IN 6-12 HOURS and isolated svr  within a fairly narrow swath. Again input from the experts on PRE sought. 

Isaias as you all see and think per NHC/local offices and AMWX.  

I have seen model guidance over 10" in in a small part of our area by 12z Wednesday.  PRE"s and Tropical storm rains don't necessarily overlap... if they do, that's bad news (significant flooding in  the overlap area which might be w CT?).  The only other thing on Isaias... I'd like this to look more like a TS in its rain bands by the time it gets to NC. I think jet dynamics might straighten this storm out, which has not been very pretty so far- yet it has, as bad as it's looked, it's been fairly powerful.  kind of an oddball storm which may mean it's odd all the way up the coast?

In summary not much change from what I saw on the 00z/1 cycle.  I have to take this one event at a time.  Right now, let's see if SVR reports can be fairly widespread in our area by 1201AM Monday.  Will reassess Sunday morning ~7A.  835P/1

you're a f'n treasure @wdrag

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1