• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 General Discussion

Today is 30 years since the Plainfield tornado.

https://www.weather.gov/lot/Plainfield_Tornado_Anniversary

I was 7 but already interested in weather and can vaguely remember hearing about this tornado.  Really quite an anomaly given the time of year.

Due to the way that the EF scale was designed, if this same tornado were to occur today and the scale strictly applied (no consideration of corn damage/ground scouring), it is doubtful that it would be rated EF-5. 

Just now, Hoosier said:

This will be the first time on record that June, July and August each rank in the top 10 warmest for Chicago.  Actually just missed having each month rank in the top 5.

Warmest summer on record looks like just about a lock.

Have a bunch of stats coming within the next few days.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This will be the first time on record that June, July and August each rank in the top 10 warmest for Chicago.  Actually just missed having each month rank in the top 5.

I dont follow as closely in summer, and I know beavis was just talking about UHI. just wondering is there any suspicious issues with ORD ASOS or is all good? Only asking because I'm genuinely surprised how much warmer Chicago was than here. Still a hot summer here, but far less days in the 90s. im estimating Detroit will place at 10th or 11th hottest summer. 

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I dont follow as closely in summer, and I know beavis was just talking about UHI. just wondering is there any suspicious issues with ORD ASOS or is all good? Only asking because I'm genuinely surprised how much warmer Chicago was than here. Still a hot summer here, but far less days in the 90s. im estimating Detroit will place at 10th or 11th hottest summer. 

Haven't noticed anything too fishy with the ASOS itself.  The obs are generally similar to other reporting sites in Cook county such as MDW and PWK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

ORD definitely has been running warmer than MDW, generally with  high temps and monthly averages. I can confirm that there is no sensor issue...However, as like in 2012 it could be attributed to renewed construction in the vicinity of the ASOS.

image.png.a5de8dbdc5b53c3a314eb9ed52ca954d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

for sure.

Chicago likely heading for the driest August in decades...

1893:  0.18"

1889:  0.39"

1879:  0.45"

1881:  0.54"

1894:  0.60"

1976:  0.80" 

2020:  0.80" (through 10 pm 8/28)

1962:  0.85"

1973:  0.85"

1974:  0.90"

1899:  0.91"

1926:  0.99"

1953:  1.00"

1960:  1.02"

1916:  1.05"

Today was quite an interesting weather day.  Started warming up pretty quickly to 85F at the airport before a line of showers (and storms well to the north came through along with gusts to 35mph.  Tropical downpour or two.  Then a sunny, largely comfortable afternoon with two separate lake breeze fronts.  

I was curious watching convection come into the picture in SW Wisconsin just south of the 94 corridor it appeared.  The northern storms went poof so concern for a dry front increased.  Out of nowhere around 5pm a big cell unzipped, I believe from the second lake breeze and dumped a half to a full inch in spots in N Milwaukee County. After that it was off to the races with more storms forming behind it pretty consistently along or near the I94 corridor.

Ended up with 1-2” in much of the area.  UMB Wx got screwed though, no rain for him (time to get on the drought train, huh)?

• Weenie 1

I just had my top thunderstorm of 2020 so far, just like 2 years ago today when my first storm also took place. Even after all that rain a few hours ago, it just dumped even more while the humidity is continuing to rise. Also the most amount of rain in a night of the year.

No severe warning from EC on this one (not that this is warn worthy anyways), they issued it for something that wasn't a storm earlier though...good job guys.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Chicago likely heading for the driest August in decades...

1893:  0.18"

1889:  0.39"

1879:  0.45"

1881:  0.54"

1894:  0.60"

1976:  0.80" 

2020:  0.80" (through 10 pm 8/28)

1962:  0.85"

1973:  0.85"

1974:  0.90"

1899:  0.91"

1926:  0.99"

1953:  1.00"

1960:  1.02"

1916:  1.05"

RFD is even drier this August, only 0.52".  

Not sure if this is one of the stats that Chicago Storm is compiling, but ORD looks to either tie or break the record for the most 80+ degree days in meteorological summer.  Today was day #77.  The record is 78 days (1995), and the current forecast for ORD is 78 on Sunday and 82 on Monday.

Not sure if this is one of the stats that Chicago Storm is compiling, but ORD looks to either tie or break the record for the most 80+ degree days in meteorological summer.  Today was day #77.  The record is 78 days (1995), and the current forecast for ORD is 78 on Sunday and 82 on Monday.

It indeed was, but there are many more as well.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Cool morning.  Even with clouds, temp managed to fall to 47 overnight.  Areas that cleared went down in the upper 30's and low 40's. 

Off and on clouds and 57 at 1:45... Fall is in the air

IMG_E076.thumb.JPG.b1f71e975e235666ec5cbfd4e167fdbd.JPG

What percentage are we looking at so far up there? 

On 8/30/2020 at 2:59 PM, Stebo said:

What percentage are we looking at so far up there? 

I'd say around here at least 10-12% is showing noticeable color and most everything else green, has changed a little.  I went to Jays Sporting Goods in Gaylord yesterday and while driving east through the UP, I noticed many areas up to 20% or a little more, especially around the Newberry area... mostly maple. Lake Michigamme down through Republic is coloring up too.

• Like 1