• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2020 General Discussion

Topped out at 88. Likely going to be the highest it's going to get for this month, even based on one of Judah's tweets.

The end of today's 18z GFS run shows highs in the upper-50s on the 29th, but it would be an easy toss for that run. :lol: Neither Dayton or Columbus have never had a day when high temperatures failed to even reach 60 degrees in August since the record all-time lowest daily maximum temperature was 60 degrees on August 30, 1915 at those two climate sites. Cincinnati, on the other hand, has only once failed to reach even 60 degrees with the all-time lowest daily maximum August temperature of 58 degrees on August 30, 1915.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

90 at ORD (24) and here (22) today.

Meanwhile only 5 for MKE.  I'd be curious to see if there was ever even close to a 5:1 ratio in 90F days between Milwaukee and Chicago with a large sample size (I'm sure there has been something on the order of 5 for ORD and 1 for MKE for a summer).

10 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Meanwhile only 5 for MKE.  I'd be curious to see if there was ever even close to a 5:1 ratio in 90F days between Milwaukee and Chicago with a large sample size (I'm sure there has been something on the order of 5 for ORD and 1 for MKE for a summer).

Interesting...the greater than normal disparity between ORD and MKE this season is probably because most of ORD’s 90+ days have been 90-92, combined with UHI. Where I am in SW Lake County IL, we’ve only had 12 days of 90+. A lot of days 87-89.

41 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Interesting...the greater than normal disparity between ORD and MKE this season is probably because most of ORD’s 90+ days have been 90-92, combined with UHI. Where I am in SW Lake County IL, we’ve only had 12 days of 90+. A lot of days 87-89.

Certainly part of it.  Having more days in July where storms developed with the heat of the day contributed to it as well.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, Powerball said:

Well that escalated quickly.

Wasn't even expecting it to rain today, but we're getting some pretty good cracks of thunder and downpours blowing in from Lake St. Clair after a sunny morning. 

You back in Michigan? 

On 8/15/2020 at 9:30 AM, beavis1729 said:

I think the fact that a lot of days have been upper 80s to low 90s is causing wild disparity from place to place, but that Milwaukee number is crazy low.  It's been a hot summer so there have been a lot less cooldown days then you would expect in a typical summer, but also, the amount of extreme hot days has been way less than most of our hot summers, especially the ones the first half of the 20th century.

Detroit (DTW) has had 14 days of 90+ this year. The average in a year is 12, so that is nothing impressive consider how warm its been. Certainly another month until we're out of the woods, but I don't really see any heat building.

Detroit city airport, which sits closer to the water, has only had 11 days this year. It was the official weather station during those extremely hot summers of the 1930s-50s. So it really makes me wonder, those years when they were getting 30, 35 days of 90+, how many would inland present day DTW have gotten!!!???

The DTX NWS office, in Detroit's far northern suburbs, rural and high in elevation, has only had 4 days. Yet Flint, which is North of there but actually closer to the NWS office than DTW, has logged 18 days. Nearby to FNT is Saginaw, which only has 13 days. And then Toledo, OH has a whopping 27 days.

I think site location in regards to proximity to the lake is a big factor in the large difference in 90 degree days between ORD and MKE.  MKE is much closer to the lake than ORD, and thinking back on it, there were a lot of days with a pretty weak gradient flow that allowed for early lake breeze development.

18 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

A line of strong thunderstorms, primarily non-severe, off Lake Huron this morning literally disintegrated as it approached Toronto late this morning. Story of this summer. :lmao:

It hasn't rained, even a drop, since August 4.

Same here. Picked up 5 mm if I’m super generous and tilted the rain gauge slightly. 

Halfway through August, if the month ended yesterday this summer would finish 3rd warmest on record for Chicago as 76.2°.

Top 5 warmest summers on record...
1. 76.4° - 1955
2. 76.3° - 1995 
3. 76.1° - 2012
4. 75.9° -1921
5. 75.5° - 1959
5. 75.5° - 1949

The highest temp at ORD has “only” been 96, so there hasn’t been big heat. Consistently warm has done the job though.