• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2020 General Discussion

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

While I'd like to see some good action during the day now and then, I love overnight thunderstorms.  This summer, we are not getting much of either.  It is getting very dry over here.

The summer of never-ending 10kt 500mb flow.  

All in all will be a forgettable summer weather-wise.  Wasn't terrible, wasn't great.  A decent amount of 90s, but lame in big heat.  94 the hottest temp of the summer at MLI which is pretty meh.  Still some time to beat that, but summer is going fast.

Temps underperformed again, only hitting 87 with today's forecasted high of 89 by the NWS and the NBM models. If the endless stretch of underperforming high temperatures keep continuing, we may very well get an early Fall this year.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

89 at MLI and here today.  Still no 90 degree days for Aug for MLI/here.  MLI has 17 90 degree days for the year, with 13 of those occurring in July.

Looks like it would be the highest you would get for this month. August is 100% done. If there's another real chance of hitting 90 again this year, it wouldn't be until sometime in September. NWS caved to TWC today, regarding tomorrow's forecast high. NWS and TWC both say 88. Highs mainly in the mid-80s for the upcoming week. TWC is even hinting at highs in the lower 80s and lows in the upper 50s to lower 60s taking place in just over a week from now, correlating to CPC's 6-10 day and 8-14 day outlooks.
610temp.new.gif

610prcp.new.gif
814temp.new.gif
814prcp.new.gif

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Spartman said:

Temps underperformed again, only hitting 87 with today's forecasted high of 89 by the NWS and the NBM models. If the endless stretch of underperforming high temperatures keep continuing, we may very well get an early Fall this year.

Looks like it would be the highest you would get for this month. August is 100% done. If there's another real chance of hitting 90 again this year, it wouldn't be until sometime in September. NWS caved to TWC today, regarding tomorrow's forecast high. NWS and TWC both say 88. Highs mainly in the mid-80s for the upcoming week. TWC is even hinting at highs in the lower 80s and lows in the upper 50s to lower 60s taking place in just over a week from now.

Highs in the low 80s in what will be mid-August then.  Oh the horror.

Personally, June and July were summery enough for me.  I don't care that much about how August turns out, but I doubt it will end up being that cold of a month in much of the sub.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spartman said:

Looks like it would be the highest you would get for this month. August is 100% done. If there's another real chance of hitting 90 again this year, it wouldn't be until sometime in September. NWS caved to TWC today, regarding tomorrow's forecast high. NWS and TWC both say 88. Highs mainly in the mid-80s for the upcoming week. TWC is even hinting at highs in the lower 80s and lows in the upper 50s to lower 60s taking place in just over a week from now, correlating to CPC's 6-10 day and 8-14 day outlooks.

You're my favorite...Because whatever you say, the opposite happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2020 at 10:26 AM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

One of my good friends hunts on family land near Silver Creek, most of the time they are dealing with snow and cold when the season opens. I can only imagine how much more brutal it is for muzzleloader season a few weeks later. His mom is from Two Harbors and he grew up staying up there during the summer. Apparently you guys have a great skate park along the lake, or at least did in the 90s.

Most of the rain and storms have missed the cities so far this weekend. We've managed only 0.03" while it looks like places up north got a few needed inches of rain, wouldn't mind a garden variety storm to come through later today and save me the trouble of watering. 

I live in town, my parents live in Silver Creek township, which is rather large BTW. Deer seasons can be quite variable on a year to year basis. From t-shirt weather to needing snowshoes (like the 91' Halloween stm aka 3' snow a week before season started) and arctic gear. But come muzzle loader season, which starts Thx weekend, and goes 16 days, its rough, and not much for deer like the start of rifle season. But sometimes global warming actually shows up and takes the sting out of the late hunt, and not that it's that much warmer when it does because it's getting pretty cold by that time, especially in the am. Bow season starts mid Sept and goes through till the end of the year. Late evenings in Oct are the best bow hunt times when the deer start to move more. Not to many bow or muzzle load hunt tho.

Don't think the skate park is around anymore. Ended up being a delinquent hang out. Didn't go well.

After a nasty humid weekend, and 3"+ of rain (recorded at the our local airport), a very pleasant day today. Feels good. A slow moving band of heavy rain moved through in the wee hours of Saturday am (started around midnight), then some light, steady rains yesterday morning with a little bit of afternoon thunder, so we have enough for now. But more is coming this week, so hopefully you will get in on some of that.

23 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

The summer of never-ending 10kt 500mb flow.  

All in all will be a forgettable summer weather-wise.  Wasn't terrible, wasn't great.  A decent amount of 90s, but lame in big heat.  94 the hottest temp of the summer at MLI which is pretty meh.  Still some time to beat that, but summer is going fast.

Ma nature was like ORLY?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, Brian D said:

It sure is going to be nice to start, but August will have some good storms for us as well. I'm expecting pretty good mixed bag this month. More of these big high's are not out of the question. Not expecting summer to linger this year into Sept very long, if at all. At least that is what my modelling suggests. But of course, I'm also much farther north than most in here.

When I made this statement at the end of July, I'm not at all surprised to see the extended gov models hinting at more cooler weather. Hence the mixed bag statement for August. And because I'm further north, it impacts me a bit more than you guys down in the S Lakes/Midwest region

Again, another day temps underperformed. :axe: Hit 87 again today with the forecast high being 88. So far, 87 is the highest temperature reached this month, currently tying the coldest August maximum temperature set back in 2015 and 1915. 

TWC is now hinting a day with highs in the mid-70s earlier next week.image.png.8d06ecdde18e03dc2e5c3f42896b0931.png

On 8/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, Brian D said:

Don't think the skate park is around anymore. Ended up being a delinquent hang out. Didn't go well.

He definitely was a delinquent as a teen so that makes sense. His grandparents were schoolteachers in Two Harbors, last name “Sega” if you happened to have them. Not sure when or which schools they worked in. 

To get this thread back on track ended up with 0.41” of rain today, mostly this morning. Kept temps in check, felt like fall.

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

zzzzzz

Some top notch weather on tap, but man is it boring. 

Easily the most boring summer for weather in my adult life. Even when “humid” air moves in it’s like the existing dryness of the soil just sucks it up. 

The only haze we have seen has been due to roadside fires from cigarette butts. 

Day 10 of no rain. It’s just very desolate here. Leaves dropping before any colour change. Barren landscapes due to drought, and growing water restrictions for recreational purposes. 

• Sad 1