Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

46 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Very fascinating to see. Even a bad winter in NE is equivalent to a great winter in MD. The funniest thing is the fighting over high temps and dew points, as if those are unique and exciting metrics to track. LOL

Yea, the real psychoanalysis that's needs to be done is in the Mid Atl and Southeast forums. I mean the weenies in the SE forum are dedicated l, I must say....and seems to be alot of members in that forum. Some of them track and have to wait 5-10  years for a 6"+ event. I guess part of the enjoyment is the "tracking" for sure, but we know up here the events will happen, done there who knows when. 

If I had to relocate to Greenville SC  or wherever guess I would still track and be a weenie, just seems torturous..lol

55 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Torch!

The torch just came to a screeching halt in August.

Up here at MVL, since August 15th we have been -0.5F.... so the 2nd half of the month averaged below normal, a real nice change from the record June and July.

It's been noticeable too, the heat just vanished. 

Guess this illustrates it pretty well... the last two weeks have been two different worlds between NNE and SNE.

Pretty evenly delineated right there.  Aside from BTV's background warm anomalies, NNE was below normal past couple weeks on average for sure.

Meanwhile SE Mass was completely torched, as Bob has experienced.  Not only is climo starting to get more stark between NNE and SNE during the transition seasons, having normalized departures that much different over that gradient leads to some very real sensible weather differences.

14dTDeptNRCC.thumb.png.6dfbc40a2c456bf937f177d0da29f4e7.png

• Thanks 1

The most surprising station departure in the month of August though is ALB.... they are -1.0 for the month of August.

For ALB to be -1.0 for the entire month, compared to the torch in SNE?  ALB only hit 87F for a high temp in August, which seems low given the torchy conditions in valleys along I-90 and south. 

Another comparison:

ALB... -1.0 max temp 87F

POU... +3.6 and exceeded 90F on 10 days.

Does that pass the sniff test?  Or was there some crazy gradient in the Hudson Valley?  I can't figure out if the F6 data is just straight wrong or from another month.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The most surprising station departure in the month of August though is ALB.... they are -1.0 for the month of August.

For ALB to be -1.0 for the entire month, compared to the torch in SNE?  ALB only hit 87F for a high temp in August, which seems low given the torchy conditions in valleys along I-90 and south.

Comparison:

ALB... -1.0 max temp 87F

Does that pass the sniff test?  Or was there some crazy gradient in the Hudson Valley?

Major step change there.

image.png

Just now, dendrite said:

Major step change there.

image.png

Ha!  What the hell happened there?! 

Yeah their numbers make no sense.  ALB's monthly temp on the F6 is 3.4 degrees COLDER than the monthly temperature at ORH, ha.  No way a place at 200ft in the Hudson Valley averaged 3.4 degrees colder than 1,000ft in the Worcester Hills.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ha!  What the hell happened there?!

Yeah their numbers make no sense.  ALB's monthly temp on the F6 is 3.4 degrees COLDER than the monthly temperature at ORH, ha.  No way a place at 200ft in the Hudson Valley averaged 3.4 degrees colder than 1,000ft in the Worcester Hills.

You can pin it down to the exact week and maybe find the day when it went haywire.

image.png

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Another comparison:

ALB... -1.0 max temp 87F

Does that pass the sniff test?  Or was there some crazy gradient in the Hudson Valley?  I can't figure out if the F6 data is just straight wrong or from another month.

They replaced the sensor over the summer (July 17th)and its had a noticeable cold bias since then.  Its a known issue, not sure if/when they will be adjusting or changing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, weathafella said:

Yep!   9/30/2020.  Will do a maximum 2 day/week gig and see if I can tolerate it

Thanks Dave!

Bright sunny day today!

Congrats on retiring. You’ve certainly earned it. 

If you don’t  mind me asking, You work for the federal govt , correct? Based on your age assume your CRS unless you got a late start and are FERs.

is your part time gig for a contractor or coming back as a rehired annuitant? Something else?

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty much. Certainly in a ratter January which is 9/10 of them.

I keep telling my wife that an average, even warmish December in Randolph would be considered a nicely above-average entire winter in our part of MD.

She hasn't run away yet!

Being that you’re relatively new to this forum-here’s the origin of ratter.  A man now (if he is still among us) in his mid 70s who I knew in college used the term “that blows dead rats”. I used it as a descriptor of a winter event that went bad or perhaps a pattern-maybe you remember-it was before subforums and you’re one of the originals.  Anyway, the term ratter stuck. Just as “storm cancel” is courtesy of blizzard24, ratter is from my college days 50-55 years ago.  

Anyway, I had one beer and felt compelled to explain...lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Very fascinating to see. Even a bad winter in NE is equivalent to a great winter in MD. The funniest thing is the fighting over high temps and dew points, as if those are unique and exciting metrics to track. LOL

Don't underestimate the power of a shitty NE winter of yore.  :)

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That's like a masked ACATT member swapped out the sensor in the middle of the night.

Maybe that's the old one from BOS.