Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

On 3/28/2020 at 7:56 AM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Heavy lime applied on my acidic soil. It’s a work in progress. Wanted to aerate but obviously can’t rent it now. 

Spring on hold anyway...looks cool and damp UFN.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:00 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

My shitty acidic soil suppresses early growth. Nowhere near first mow besides a patch here or there. I limed the crap out of it last week though. Wanted to aerate but local rental shop is closed. Going to be another meh maintenance season with other projects going on...until I can completely focus on it in the years to come.  

On 4/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

Mulched all day yesterday and with everything in bloom , it really helps pop it all off. The seed I planted first weekend of Napril is growing so all is well. Just get thru this week of cold and things get better. 5YknSNT.jpg
BHzJrZA.jpg

Looks like early May was first mow?

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ve mowed once since mid July.

I am sure your lawn is toast and that sucks but I'm a little bit jealous.   :P

I currently only have a walk behind mower so I usually have about 2 hours of mowing.  Then trimming.  

Outside of my container plants my vegetable garden was a disaster because we could not keep up with the watering and the rabbits.  Although much to wife and child's chagrin, doggo did his best with the bunnies. 

My cold season grass has browned in most spots although I have a lot of weeds I let grow for the chickens and they're all green...stuff like plantain and clover. So at least the majority of the yard looks green. Out front is a little more dire, but my areas that I plugged with zoysia are going wild...lots of runners everywhere and it's very green. In another 5 years it'll probably look really good out there. It's hard to kill that stuff and it outcompetes most weeds. My thick area of it out back has a little white clover growing through it, but that's fine since it's probably fixing nitrogen into the soil for it.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

BerenStein?

0D323703-88A4-4DBB-B7AF-68CC34AB8461.jpeg

Bigfoot?  :)

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Should be a very warm late summer weekend starting today. Sad to see summer slipping away as we enter the COVID nightmare this cold season. Just knowing that makes me want the warm weather all year lol. 

I' actually happy about that.  I had to buy air conditioners when we put the house on the market and now I'm trying to off-load them on Craigslist.  Hopefully some uncomfortable people will be in the market.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Should be a very warm late summer weekend starting today. Sad to see summer slipping away as we enter the COVID nightmare this cold season. Just knowing that makes me want the warm weather all year lol. 

Yup.  When your daily high is around 80F for the day, a 90F reading is a torch.  Mid 90s would be historic.

21 minutes ago, weathafella said:

,I’ve always loved Kevin’s property...am partial to woods abutting it.   That influenced my decision to agree with the rest of my family to buy where we are now 5 years ago.

Thanks Jer. Living in the woods is a prerequisite with me. It’s calm and serene at times yet damaging and dangerous at other times. It offers great privacy and higher dews . Of course if the woods are all 90% Oaks, that brings another set of issues . Here’s the same shot this morning. Lawn def scorched 
s6njiGu.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1