Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes, We've had caterpillars in there as well the last month or so, Frogs are a problem as well if we don't get them out in time.

We used to take tree frogs out of our neighbors pool when we were kids  and use them as bass bait. Top water explosions are the best.

• Like 1

Meh. That'll probably get wiped out as soon as synoptic season starts. Convection can be fickle. Usually we're good for a couple of synoptic drizzly ratters during the summer, but not this year. We don't do droughts like they do out west or down south...maybe someday when Tip's Hadley cell parks its fanny over my head that'll change.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Meh. That'll probably get wiped out as soon as synoptic season starts. Convection can be fickle. Usually we're good for a couple of synoptic drizzly ratters during the summer, but not this year. We don't do droughts like they do out west or down south...maybe someday when Tip's Hadley cell parks its fanny over my head that'll change.

Word!  .... we've been over this hundreds of times, because, ...hundreds of times this happens and hundreds of times were absorbing TC into a slow moving frontal zone or two autumn nor'easters away from a flood watch. 

Nature itself is obviously noisy and so of course it is possible to get a 10 year period where it never rains or snows and the region is then impacted by an asteroid impact just in case anyone survives ... excluding that possibility, it seems we can largely ignore 'drought' designations in our climate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice layout there. A pool is always a plus. My wife and I were making some moves on houses this summer and a pool was certainly on my list after COVID this year. But the market being insane and us being comfortable where we are, has us staying put for now. 

We have been looking for a while and honestly a pool was not on our list. I didn't want the hassle of maintenance or the cost of paying someone to do it. It was always easier taking the kids to the town pool. But as you said Covid made it worth the hassle. The market has been insane here, we were lucky to get this one, contingent within 24 hours after 4 other offers. Now where to put the weather station? 

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I feel like it's been sitting on my head and farting since July 1.

• Like 2

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My backyard isn’t that big, so I think a pool is out of the question and the price and timelines now are insane with the amount of pools going in.

Maybe down the road if we look to move a pool would definitely be on the list. 

Probably staying put for now though, obviously.

We thought about it as well.  Called Apollo on Rt 44.  Not a pool to be had, didn't even know when they were going to get a shipment of them and they also had a waiting list 100 long.  This was back in June.  I just wanted a ballpark install number and I was at least able to get that for budgeting.  $7k was the number they gave me for a 15' round above ground pool fully installed on a flat site.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Awesome congrats, And start with 10lbs of shock........lol

Thank you! I know, pool was cloudy after all the rain and the kids spending all day in it. I have a degree in Marine Biology and can keep corals alive in my sleep, but never took care of a pool before. I haven't had a chance to sleep with the move and 3 kids let alone figure out the pool. So I broke down and had someone stop by until I can sit down and figure out the system. Thankfully the pool temp was still 76 this morning, even with the heater shut off...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Thank you! I know, pool was cloudy after all the rain and the kids spending all day in it. I have a degree in Marine Biology and can keep corals alive in my sleep, but never took care of a pool before. I haven't had a chance to sleep with the move and 3 kids let alone figure out the pool. So I broke down and had someone stop by until I can sit down and figure out the system. Thankfully the pool temp was still 76 this morning, even with the heater shut off...

Pools are awesome though, You'll get if figured out, It won't take long, Chlorine is your friend, Rain and pool activity play a big role in keeping it clear, Rain has been quite acidic and will mess with the PH levels.

55 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Word!  .... we've been over this hundreds of times, because, ...hundreds of times this happens and hundreds of times were absorbing TC into a slow moving frontal zone or two autumn nor'easters away from a flood watch. 

Nature itself is obviously noisy and so of course it is possible to get a 10 year period where it never rains or snows and the region is then impacted by an asteroid impact just in case anyone survives ... excluding that possibility, it seems we can largely ignore 'drought' designations in our climate. 

Ha, yup.  All this severe drought and then in a month there will be Flood Watches out with some synoptic event.  

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

They always seem to manage them up there, And i'm sure many go undetected over the unpopulated NW areas too.

Been quiet there in the past few years.  From about 2005 thru 2015 it seemed they were getting 2-3 per year from about Oxbow north, plus the one that chowdered a couple hundred acres in Baxter's Scientific Forest Management Area.  Also about a hundred on the adjacent Telos public lands, where it was straight-line winds and maybe one big downburst - toppled trees all pointing away from a central spot.   

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, yup.  All this severe drought and then in a month there will be Flood Watches out with some synoptic event.  

September feels like its been ultra dry lately.  Then we get one huge october rain storm with like 4 inches of rain and we're done with the drowwwwwt and on to drowwwwwn

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Or MA/SNE in the 1960s (but not many here are old enough to remember) - not acute but years of increasingly BN precip.

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Took me a year or so. Keep chlorine up and constantly feeding. Backwash at least once a week and after heavy rain after you have run it awhile. You will get the hang of it. Put in a couple of gallons of shock and winterizer in and when you open it next summer it should be crystal clear.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

How many days per year on average do you use the pool?

Tough to say, Its my sons and Daughter in laws, But they live less the 2 min from me so were there quite a bit, They just bought the house last Aug, But its heated and it was opened in April this year and they will close it next month before the leaf and acorn onslaught, This year it was at least 3 days/wk from May on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Been quiet there in the past few years.  From about 2005 thru 2015 it seemed they were getting 2-3 per year from about Oxbow north, plus the one that chowdered a couple hundred acres in Baxter's Scientific Forest Management Area.  Also about a hundred on the adjacent Telos public lands, where it was straight-line winds and maybe one big downburst - toppled trees all pointing away from a central spot.   

Tom, I had a feeling you would chime in, You would be in the know being involved in forestry more so then me.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

How can you say that in a new climate? Who’s to say it can’t happen?

• Haha 2

We did our pool 3 years ago.  So happy with it, especially this summer.  Bob designed the farmers porch, which we did at the same time.  Wouldn't change a thing.  We use the porch is like a another family/dining room in spring/summer/fall.  

It's not just pools that are impossible to find....I've wired many hot tubs since Covid hit and have a couple more scheduled  Hot tubs and pools are nearly impossible to find right now

pool.jpg

• Like 10