Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

56 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Didn't BDL get close to the record last year too? 

I think a few years ago BDL made a run into the 30's...I want to we may even be slightly ahead of that year too. But BDL will definitely have to hit 90 today to probably have a chance. Of course it's 7-days out but there is a window to sneak some heat in here towards the end of next week and next weekend. Could be a big difference too between NNE and SNE in terms of temps. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

90-degree days at BDL:

1983    38
2002    35
2020    34
2010    34
1965    34
2018    32
1966    32
2016    31
1991    31
1988    30
1973    30

Thanks. I wanted to say it was 2018. If I remember correctly, we got those last few days earlier in August? I also think June had more 90F days too...I know this year I think June had like one or two? July set a record I think with 20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I think a few years ago BDL made a run into the 30's...I want to we may even be slightly ahead of that year too. But BDL will definitely have to hit 90 today to probably have a chance. Of course it's 7-days out but there is a window to sneak some heat in here towards the end of next week and next weekend. Could be a big difference too between NNE and SNE in terms of temps. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Thanks. I wanted to say it was 2018. If I remember correctly, we got those last few days earlier in August? I also think June had more 90F days too...I know this year I think June had like one or two? July set a record I think with 20.

Yeah. That was it, 2018. It was a good run, but then all of a sudden the wall was hit, and it was only mid 80's as highs for the rest of the season.  I think that may happen again this year, with a few high 80's thrown in there.

I might even have to make a bet with Kevin that we DON'T break the record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Yeah. That was it, 2018. It was a good run, but then all of a sudden the wall was hit, and it was only mid 80's as highs for the rest of the season.  I think that may happen again this yea, with a few high 80's thrown in there.

I might even have to make a bet with Kevin that we DON'T break the record.

I think we do have a shot to break the record. It's going to come down to how well established any troughing to our northwest becomes. There is still a very strong signal moving forward for the western ridge and western-Atlantic ridge to significantly dominate the pattern regime across the country. However, there are also signals for more potent troughs/cold fronts to show their face in our region. 

I just wouldn't rule it out yet b/c there are signals for some heat to sneak into our area towards the end of next week. With how dry it is all we really need is a favorable wind direction and a pinch of the heat ridge to break off and move overhead. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

35. 3 to tie , 4 to break. Should get to 40 based on pattern upcoming 

I think signals are increasing we tack on at least another two days towards the end of next week. signal for a trough is becoming less...looks more like a de-amplifying trough with a nice westerly mid-level flow. 

• Haha 1

Keep in mind we're losing 3 minutes of daylight per day, means are declining, sun angle is rapidly declining. It's not just about the pattern. There's a reason climo is climo, and even the mighty BDL 'mac has trouble getting to 90 after about the 23rd of August. If Ryan's 10-day is right, which takes us to the last week of August, yesterday and today are critical for BDL breaking the record. If you're expecting a late summer like '83 or '73 then yeah I guess it doesn't matter and we'll blow past the record, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 3